DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What map is DJI Fly app using?

Bob Dempsey

Reactions
Hi - I really want to be able to cache maps on both an old iPhone 7 with a Mini 1 and my iPad mini 5 using a Mavic Air 2. I want to fly in many places in rural Nevada where there is no cell service. I'm not sure if it uses Google Maps? I do not have google maps app installed on the iPad? DJI we need Cached Maps.

DJI has bounced between Mapbox and Google Maps. Right now in Fly it's Google. But Don't be fooled into thinking you can cache your maps in the Google Map app and expect it to be available to Fly. They handle map data separately.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The Fly app (v1.2.4) for me is using MapBox. Is there a way to switch to Google maps?

1611864240184.png

DJI has bounced between Mapbox and Google Maps. Right now in Fly it's Google. But Don't be fooled into thinking you can cache your maps in the Google Map app and expect it to be available to Fly. They handle map data separately.

That's unfortunate because the way Fly App works is you need to know where you will be flying away from cellular. I do a lot of backcountry and I do not know where I will want to fly. If Fly App used the the downloaded maps from the Google Map app it would be much much better because I can download a huge area easily with detail.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54