DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What order are you turning everything on?

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
My mavic pro is only 1 day old and I have everything updated and charged, However when I turn everything on in the order I always did with my phantoms ( Remote, Bird , and last the app on the phone) the DJi go 4 app comes up and shows disconnected. If I unplug the cable from the side of the remote and plug it back in, the camera view comes up. Any ideas?

My mavic pro is only 1 day old and I have everything updated and charged, However when I turn everything on in the order I always did with my phantoms ( Remote, Bird , and last the app on the phone) the DJi go 4 app comes up and shows disconnected. If I unplug the cable from the side of the remote and plug it back in, the camera view comes up. Any ideas?

DJI recommends setting the go app as the default, and when you plug the phone in with the remote turned on, it should auto-launch the app... well, that doesn't work for me, but I connect the phone first, then run the app of choice (which is quickly becoming Litchi, instead of DJI go), and that seems to connect first time every time, unless I forget and have another controller app in the background (only one can run at once).

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

DJI recommends setting the go app as the default, and when you plug the phone in with the remote turned on, it should auto-launch the app... well, that doesn't work for me, but I connect the phone first, then run the app of choice (which is quickly becoming Litchi, instead of DJI go), and that seems to connect first time every time, unless I forget and have another controller app in the background (only one can run at once).
So you turn on the phone and app first then controller and then the drone?

Reactions: Retoxx
I've noticed it doesn't matter which I turn on first drone or controller, as long as I connect the phone first, then launch the app I want to use, everything seems to go super smooth for me.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Preflight Checklist
  • Power On nVidia Shield K1
  • Power On Mavic Controller
  • "Which do you want to run with this accessory? Litchi or DJI Go?" Litchi. One time only.)
  • Start nVidia Shield K1's gamecast screen recorder
  • Separate nearby phone's Wifi Tether Mode
  • Update/cache the flight area maps with the Phone Wifi, Load Waypoint Mission, etc.
  • Phone's Wifi Tether Mode off
  • Mavic Aircraft
  • Wait for Gimbal Start
  • Wait for full GPS lock
  • Start Mavic Aircraft Video Recording
Takeoff Checklist
  • Confirm all crew and observers are out of danger area
  • Commanded Motor Start
  • Vertical takeoff to 10.5 meters (allows downward vision system to memorize landing site appearance)
  • Vertical climb and pivot in-place to find tallest tree/other obstructions
  • Adjust Safe RTH Altitude to tallest obstruction + 10 meters
Flight Profile
  • Begin Free Flight or Start Waypoint Mission, per mission objectives
  • Always resume Mavic Aircraft Video Recording after any still photography is complete
Landing Checklist
  • Confirm landing zone clear of obstructions
  • Confirm all crew and observers are out of danger area
  • Align aircraft over landing area
  • Gimbal aimed down if planning a manual landing
  • Commanded Automatic Precision Landing or Manual Landing
  • Wait for Rotors at Rest
  • Gimbal aimed forward
  • Stop Mavic Aircraft Video Recording
  • Power Off Aircraft
  • Power Off Controller
  • Exit Litchi or DJI Go app
  • Stop nVidia Shield K1's gamecast screen recorder
  • Power Off nVidia Shield K1
Test Data Management Checklist
  • Retrieve Flight Recordings (Video, Photos) from Mavic microSD card
  • Retrieve nVidia Gamecast Recordings
  • Upload/Sync Healthy Drones Flight Log Data
  • Download Healthy Drones Flight KML Files
  • Load all KML Files from same location into Google Earth
  • Screenshot of Google Earth for "Flight Overview"
  • Collect Video, Photos, Screencasts, KML Files, Screenshots into dated archive folder:
    • ~/photos/2017/2017-01/2017-01-06ishikawa-amagozen-park/

It is funny how many different methods there are and some seem to work better for some people while other methods work better for others.

I do what I am pretty sure the manual says which is turn on the Mavic first and then the controller, I let the controller start the app as mentioned by others. I have not switched to Litchi yet but am considering it, I am curious how the warranty is affected if you are not flying with the DJI app? My guess is that could be an issue so until I am sure my Mavic is 100% and will not need a warranty repair (just got my replacement Mavic since first had a defect) I will likely use the DJI app.

It is funny how many different methods there are and some seem to work better for some people while other methods work better for others.

I do what I am pretty sure the manual says which is turn on the Mavic first and then the controller, I let the controller start the app as mentioned by others. I have not switched to Litchi yet but am considering it, I am curious how the warranty is affected if you are not flying with the DJI app? My guess is that could be an issue so until I am sure my Mavic is 100% and will not need a warranty repair (just got my replacement Mavic since first had a defect) I will likely use the DJI app.

When the Mavic is 1st powered up, you want it to 1st communicate with the devices it's suppose to connect with. It doesn't need to search around with all the other stuff you have going on as well as any near by neighbors should you have any.

1st - R/C
2nd - Host of App(smartphone, tablet)
3rd - Mavic

Yeah, I just re-read that part of the quick guide as well. I 99% am sure I have seen in some procedures where they say to start the aircraft first, maybe they were not DJI published methods though. I think the key is that they have to pair to each other before anything can happen anyway so the order is likely not so much an issue. I would not sit there with my Mavic running for long without turning on the controller anyway, unless it was a case where it was connected to my computer via USB and I didn't need the controller on.

With android phones you tend to want to have the phone on and unlocked when you power the RC on (or connect the cable if it was on already). That sends the "launch app" signal that either launches app if there's only one or prompts you for which to launch if there are more than one. If the phone was locked then that prompt is suppressed and it won't come once you unlock, you have to replug the cable to get it.
Rest doesn't matter.

the key is that they have to pair to each other before anything can happen anyway

One would hope that the control logic on the aircraft has plenty of safeguards to avoid running its finger-mutilators before the controller is communicating well and gives a high-confidence motor start command. However, there is really no reason to tempt Murphy's Law here.

Reactions: PowerT1998
One would hope that the control logic on the aircraft has plenty of safeguards to avoid running its finger-mutilators before the controller is communicating well and gives a high-confidence motor start command. However, there is really no reason to tempt Murphy's Law here.
Sure, but I have trust in it since you have to turn the aircraft on without the controller being on (or at least connected) when doing firmware updates via PC and running calibration processes for the vision positioning system. Again, if I was going out for a fly I would not have the aircraft on without the controller also being on or turned on shortly after as well. I also would never turn the aircraft on and leave it where it would cause harm if it did start up on accident, saving a situation where it starts up and flys away, that would be some horror movie stuff there. :)

you have to turn the aircraft on without the controller being on (or at least connected) when doing firmware updates via PC and running calibration processes

In the house, removing the blades makes sense. In preparation to fly, less so. Hey, it's all good and the chances of mis-hap are quite low if you're methodical. This toy is also popular with the "here, hold my beer" crowd so I tend to go to the other extreme sometimes. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000