DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What should I charge for drone services

BigDaddyP

Reactions
Hello fellow pilots,

I have my UAV Part 107 license and I want to start advertising my aerial photo and video and editing services. I have one paid gig under my belt that I charged $150.00 for. This included 8 edited video clips and 5 edited photos.

I make sure to buy insurance through Verifly before each paid gig. How much should I charge for shoots and editing?

You might want to join up with another company to learn the ropes. Drone videos are popular with outdoor weddings, company picnics, and things like that. Just don't sign a non-compete agreement.

If you want to make a living doing this, not only do you need a business plan, but you need to look at the minimum amount you need to live on after paying taxes. Whether by the hour or by job, that's up to you. Earlier this year I saw a site that listed average UAS operator hourly and project rates, and they were pretty healthy figures - north of $100 per hour, and low four figures for project cost. It also really depends upon who you want to target as clients. Things like weddings and events like wine tastings, parties, etc., you're unlikely to get top dollar to get ahead, because these folks - unless they're insanely wealthy - won't be able to shell out several hundred dollars for an aerial video of their event. On the other hand, large roofing companies that do commercial work should pay you a decent hourly rate or total project cost to make it worth your while. If you get paid $300 for a wedding, but spend 20 hours on the job, you're not making anything to live on.

Reactions: jk6672
This is the age old question. I am self employed and the pricing of the products and services I provide is a constant question and element for review on a yearly basis.
The bottom line , for the bottom line, punn intended, is if you have to ask no explanation will do.
So you mention you have one job under your belt and you collected $150.00 for your work.
Now that the job is all said and done ask yourself the following questions......

Did you feel like you made money on this job ?
Do you feel like you contributed too much time and effort for the money you collected?
do you know what you hourly rate collected was on this job?
if you collected $150 and spent 2 total hours then you made $75.00 per hour pretty good I think.
If you spent 10 hours in total on this job , travel, shooting, editing, communicating, delivering your product etc then you need to raise your prices .
So the bottom line is the answer is in your hands. Your pricing will evolve as you grow into your business. You know how much time and effort you have in this $150.00 job you booked. Do the math.
mikemoose55

Hello fellow pilots,

I have my UAV Part 107 license and I want to start advertising my aerial photo and video and editing services. I have one paid gig under my belt that I charged $150.00 for. This included 8 edited video clips and 5 edited photos.

I make sure to buy insurance through Verifly before each paid gig. How much should I charge for shoots and editing?
Is absolutely no way to settle a price list for Drone operations unless is based on a very routine one like simple shoot of small business or house with no editing.
I run this job and as I say on my web page I work only by tailored quote.
1) you got a prospect
2) you find his exact needs shoot+edit
3) you check if any regulation block it
4) you estimate the time needed
5) you quote with 20% time extra marge

Then you may be not loosing money.

Commercial Drone flying
And
Video editing of any kind
Are both
Unexpected time-consuming activities

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case