DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What size SD card do you carry?

nutsnbolts

Reactions
Specifically for your drone. What size do you carry?

I carry a 64gb for both my spark and MPP. I don't really see the necessary to carry a larger size.

I'm curious though what other justifications to carry much larger. I always format my card and I offload as soon as possible.

Specifically for your drone. What size do you carry?

I carry a 64gb for both my spark and MPP. I don't really see the necessary to carry a larger size.

I'm curious though what other justifications to carry much larger. I always format my card and I offload as soon as possible.
I carry smaller 16gb, they are smaller, cheaper and force me to download my files more often; that way I do not loose stuff.

I use multiple 32gb cards and change them out with each battery. I believe in the old adage, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. If my drone goes haywire and flies away...I only lost the footage from that battery.
That's a good practice as well. Seems like everyone is using smaller than larger.

I carry at least 2 32GB cards. Ones enough but the other is handy in case one fails in the field.

Ok I'm not too far off. Same here 64gb all the way and 16gb as back up that came with the drone.

32 gb Sandisk Extreme Pro

1. Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 HC I 16GB - came with my Phantom 4
2. Panasonic U3 HC I 16 GB - purchased as an extra card
3. Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 V30 XC1 128 GB - purchased for taking on the road when I can't upload images/video
4. Lexar U1 633X HC I 16 GB - came with my Mavic Pro

From my experience, I'd purchase 32 GB cards now since they will take two full flights of 4K video. Right now, a 16 GB card will only take 1.

Reactions: derekcreates
I use 2 x 128 GB Cards. I may get another. I may not be able to get the files off of it for a couple weeks and would hate to have to delete something to continue filming.

1 x 128GB in my MP, 1 x 64GB in my Gear 360 attached to my MP.

I had a photography day with a National Geographic photographer and he would never use over a 16gb card.
For my Mavic I stick with 64gb cards and have been ok so far.

I do kind of agree with this philosophy but I think time (and technology) has moved on. I have literally never had an SD card fail (always buy reputable brands from reputable vendors and test the card exhaustively before use), these days DSLRs cameras wirelessly backup their images (well, my Canon 7D II does) and GO4 caches full resolution images and HD (720p) video in case of disaster. I think the old rationale for limiting the size of your storage card isn't as valid these days.

Reactions: darren6270
I use multiple 32gb cards and change them out with each battery. I believe in the old adage, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. If my drone goes haywire and flies away...I only lost the footage from that battery.

Smart! And I thought, I was the only one who did this.

Is it the file system on the MPP that limits the maximum size of the SD card? Personally I take very little video so the size doesn't make too much difference but who knows what tomorrow will bring. This is an exert from the MPP user guide.

The Mavic Pro comes with a 16 GB Micro SD card and supports Micro SD cards up to 64 GB. A UHS-1 Micro SD card is recommended due to their fast read and write speeds allowing you to save high-resolution video data.

I carry both a few 32 and 64's in a small water proof case.So far I haven't produced enough video to be a problem and do more stills that don't take up the card's space. I download to a portable hard drive but as yet have had to format any of em so I keep the SD cards as a backup. As cheap as you can get a 16 GB card these days I understand their use.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe