DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What steps to take when Mavic 2 Pro disconnects mid-flight

Here are the steps I take if I run into a connectivity issue.

I think that's pretty definitive and would actually make a useful crib sheet for some of those "preflight" checklist apps that are out there.

The only thing I would maybe add in the interests of covering every possible thing to try would be to power cycle the phone/tablet if DJI Go refuses to reconnect after an app restart.

Reactions: kloogee
So, are you saying I have to update firmware for each battery?

Yes, you do, although DJI Go should prompt you to do this whenever you insert a battery with mismatched firmware when it first starts up - the drone will obviously be on the ground at this point. It's fairly quick compared to Drone/Controller firmware updates and takes about a minute or so, I guess.

I'm new to MavicPilots. Been flying/posting to PhantomPilots for the last couple years.

So, just got the Mavic 2 (an upgrade from my P3 4k). I went through all of the firmware/software (DJI Go 4) updates on the M2 and iPad. I was flying from a steep hilltop about 700' or so above the Potomac River in Harper's Ferry, WV (from the bluff at the abandoned hotel). I got a little more than 1/2 mile out, 200' or so above my launch elevation (clear LOS) and the DJI Go 4 app on my iPad mini (connected to the larger M2 controller USB port) indicated 'Disconnected'. No data or video feed. I'm not 100% fluent in the controller functions yet, but it did indicate the height and distance, so the controller was still connected. If I recall correctly, the RTH on the controller did not initiate RTH, but I could be mistaken. I had about 40% battery left at the time, but was obviously concerned about getting back (into a 10mph headwind) with no video/data feed. I wasn't sure of a safe troubleshooting protocol mid-flight and the best I could manage is checking my distance reading unsure of the exact orientation. If the distance was decreasing, I knew I was headed in the general direction, but it was a bit of a nail biter getting back. I got back just in time. The app never did reconnect.

So, mid-flight... what would you do to attempt to reconnect? And... what would diagnostics would you do to figure out what the problem was? Clearly there was an issue between the controller (which was connected) and the iPad/app (which disconnected). Restart the app? Replug the iPad? Replace the cable (already ordered)? I'll have to DL the flight logs, perhaps you smarter/more experienced pilots can give me a clue.

I didn't have time last night to do diagnostics. I spent an hour trying to read the files offloaded with a card reader. That required updating to Mohave OS on my Macbook. H.265 is apparently a new 'thing'. I attached some pics from last weekend's flight with my P3 4k.
________

I've had similar problems after my iPad had an IOS "update". I think it takes DJI a while to adjust their software to the new IOS changes as it has happened to me more than once. I am phasing out my Apple devices because of this. Yes, it could be coincidence, but I don't think so. I currently own four drones in my business.

I've learned that you can still press the RTH button even after those scary "lost contact" messages. That usually works without problems. The last time it happened to me however, RTH wanted the drone to climb to RTH altitude, but there was an overhanging palm frond in the way. The drone hit the palm, crashed to the ground, then climbed again and crashed again and again and again. The poor drone had a death wish. The worst problem was that DJI seems to have lost my Care Refresh insurance.

My advice: Keep impeccable records when dealing with DJI.
Always re-set your RTH altitude when necessary. it can create more harm than good otherwise- if you have overhanging objects to worry about.
Don't trust Apple IOS especially after an update.

Restart DJIGO4 and if that doesn’t work reboot the mini. As you pointed out you never lost connection and still had the distance and height data on controller display.

Paul C
But - don't do that while the drone is airborne.

Restart DJI GO4 and if that doesn’t work reboot the mini. As you pointed out you never lost connection and still had the distance and height data on controller display.
But - don't do that while the drone is airborne.
You can safely restart Go 4 and/or your display device while airborne. If Go 4 shows Disconnected then it is no longer controlling the Mavic anyway so restarting will have no negative effect and may reestablish connection. I unplugged my tablet to simulate an app crash and fly with the remote only and recommend everyone do it.

Reactions: W2EJ
Correct. I went thru the same situation as you experienced with a mid-flight disconnect. After updating my battery (batteries), I never had it happen again. Keeping fingers crossed as a 40mph fly-a-way might be the start of a bad, expensive day.

Give it a try. I hope all goes well (it should!)

All very good comments. I had updated iOS recently as well. There are a lot of factors at play. I believe I did update firmware when prompted as I was curious why I got the message when I thought I had already done so (on the previous battery). I want to be cautious, but I also want to film subjects that may be a distance away with no closer launch location. It’s also possible that many of the locations I’ve flown over the last 2 years have a lot of interference from other signals, trees, etc.

Last edited:
I had it happened to me couple time as I was flying around the bridge. It was totally expected. I set the RTH higher than any nearby landmark. When it disconnect I just wait patiently for it to rise and clear the obstacle to regain signal.

How do I update the battery firmware?

Install the battery in the drone and go through the normal power-on process for the drone and controller. DJI Go should then complain about a firmware mismatch before it displays "Go Fly" and prompt you to update.

Remember to do the above procedure (per Zocalo) for EACH battery you have. DJI has placed electronics in the battery housing that monitor: operational temperature, times charged, discharge percentage, overheating info. etc. The software update also allows DJI to keep after-market/fake batteries away from their aircraft so they can minimize potential liability associated with non DJI batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if the software updates make the performance better too.

Install the battery in the drone and go through the normal power-on process for the drone and controller. DJI Go should then complain about a firmware mismatch before it displays "Go Fly" and prompt you to update.

That's weird... I have 3 batteries and I've never been asked to update battery firmware?

Me too. Of course you need more than one battery to notice. The first one gets updated along with the AC.

I had the Mavic Air disconnect RC to AC which apparently would not reconnect. Drone itself began initiating Failsafe RTH (where it retraces steps), I knew it wasnt far away and it wasnt a signal issue as the RC was just blinking red intermittently. At that point I had no choice but to reboot the RC and it re-established connection with the drone, I was able to resume control and carry on flying.

What sucks with the Air/Spark is there is no telemetry on the RC so when the app goes down, you need to get that back or initiate RTH and let it fly back to you if you dont know which direction it was flying in (can happen when the unexpected happens and you start to panic).

For Mavic Pro, its quite common for Android version of Go4 to crash, most opt for Litchi as a stable alternative.

That's weird... I have 3 batteries and I've never been asked to update battery firmware?

I've only had one firmware update; from whatever was in the box to current. That involved updates to drone, controller, and all my batteries.

Guessing here, but since you need to put the battery in the drone to update it maybe the firmware update for the battery is bundled in the drone's firmware "blob" and uploaded from there? If so, then it's possible that DJI may have started shipping batteries with the latest firmware from the factory before they issued the drone firmware update, which could explain why some batteries need updating and others don't.

The first battery would presumably be updated automatically when pushing the drone firmware, as others have noted, of course.

Read that this can happen due to wifi interference. Happened to me at my sailing club where there are wifi repeaters all around the grounds. I think walking towards your drone while restarting remote and app saved the day. Have never experienced automatic RTH for signal loss or low batt reasons yet so unsure if you can rely on that completely. I do know wifi interference does limit useable range.

I get Disconnected now and then on my Mavic 2 Pro but usually it is because I fly to far away. Like 2.5 Km when hills or to much Wifi around,. Then it starts to fly home and I get connection again.
Perhaps you a have different issue,

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4