DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What tablet and goggles to get?

droneuser

Reactions
Hi

I haven't been keeping up with the ever so changing info I am hoping to get my mavic in a month or two :)

what tablet and goggles should I get? the last time I was reading about this it was the shield and fat sharks now people are telling me ipad mini and dji goggles?

any info would be great thanks :)

Hi

I haven't been keeping up with the ever so changing info I am hoping to get my mavic in a month or two :)

what tablet and goggles should I get? the last time I was reading about this it was the shield and fat sharks now people are telling me ipad mini and dji goggles?

any info would be great thanks :)
There are many, many threads on this; try a search and you should find the information you are looking for. Msingers posts are exceptionally helpful.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Smalls
Last edited:
Thanks for the info does anyone know if the ipad mini's have hdmi output?

iPad Minis do not have an HDMI output. You'd need to use an adapter like this one. You cannot use that adapter with goggles though.

Last edited:
ahh ok thanks for that :) so if iam understanding this right the dji goggle link to the controller wireless thus leaving the ipad with adapter open to be used on a tv, etc at the same time?

It all comes down to your budget I suppose. Yes, you can get a Nvidia Shield which has an hdmi out, and use that with something like fat sharks. If you have a smartphone, you could use an app called Litchi, and a set of cheap VR goggles in which your phone goes in. Personally, I went with the DJI goggles. They are wireless, made specifically for DJI products, and have a beautiful picture. As far as a tablet goes, again it comes down to budget. I believe DJI is “optimized” for Apple products. Plenty of Android devices work just fine don’t get me wrong. As far as Apple devices, the mini 4 is a great option as it will still “fit” in the remote brackets. A mini 2 has been reported to work fine. It will be cheaper, but also slower. I personally went with a used iPad Air 2. It’s the same specs as the mini 4, but with a larger screen and faster processor. I was also able to find one cheaper than a mini. It does not work with the brackets built into the remote, but there are plenty of other mounting solutions.

One other thing to consider is most android tablets have GPS built in. While iPads don’t. You can get an iPad with cellular, but you don’t have to activate the service. This will give you GPS. Not having GPS isn’t a deal breaker, but you will lose out on some features like follow me, and the ability to change the home point out in the field (I believe).

if iam understanding this right the dji goggle link to the controller wireless thus leaving the ipad with adapter open to be used on a tv, etc at the same time?
The idea is that the goggles can be connected wirelessly so you can still connect your mobile device to the remote controller (to run DJI GO).

very true about budget I was once reading that the Nvidia Shield need to be rolled back is this still the case? also what I was trying to ask is this if I uses the dji goggles and a tablet that has hdmi I could run the hdmi to a tv ( so people can view it better) while iam using the goggles at the same time ? or will plugging in a hdmi turn the tablet screen off?

thanks for that info :) does anyone know if the Nvidia Shield needs to be rolled back firmware wise?

thanks for that info :) does anyone know if the Nvidia Shield needs to be rolled back firmware wise?
I am running my shield with the latest and it runs fine. You should put it in developer mode and enable usb debugging; also use a program to delete duplicate files (DJI makes a lot of them) close all the apps you can and put it in airplane mode.

ohhh that is right using that tablet I will have to preload the maps

is that correct if I recall right?

ok so If I get the wifi ipad mini and I have access to wifi I don't have to put that tablet in airplane mode? meaning I wont have to preload the maps?

ok so If I get the wifi ipad mini and I have access to wifi I don't have to put that tablet in airplane mode? meaning I wont have to preload the maps?

Unless you have WiFi everywhere you fly, I’m pretty sure you are going to have to preload the maps. I can’t speak 100% on that as all my devices have cellular/GPS.

iam just planning to fly in my yard I have outdoor wireless router I live in the country

i guess the question is do to it being wifi and the mavic is wifi per se do I have to turn off the wifi no matter what tablet iam using?

i guess the question is do to it being wifi and the mavic is wifi per se do I have to turn off the wifi no matter what tablet iam using?
Since you'll be using the Mavic remote controller, it would be okay to turn off the Wi-Fi on the tablet. You can quickly turn off everything that's not needed by enabling airplane mode.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ