DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What the * *** happened here?

Looks like there is a cellphone base station on that chimney/tower you just flew close to before the malfunction. There's a lot of radio energy comes out of those things, enough to cause electronics to do weird stuff at close range. I wonder if that might be the cause.

Good rule of thumb - when I fly either my MP or Spark, I try very hard to avoid any type of broadcast or cell phone tower. With the pervasiveness of cell phones and cell phone antennas, it can be very hard to find places to fly.

Not sure if the proximity to the towers in your video - but I might sugggest flying somewhere else and seeing if your problem occurs again.

Looks like there is a cellphone base station on that chimney/tower you just flew close to before the malfunction. There's a lot of radio energy comes out of those things, enough to cause electronics to do weird stuff at close range. I wonder if that might be the cause.
that's not it. mine does it and has never been around radio or cell towers. its a design flaw in the software

I know this is a complete newbie question but how did you get the screen capture video of the DJI Go app during the flight?
With an Iphone or Ipad, Press the side button and the home button at the same time. You will hear the snapshot sound and the screen shot will be in your photos. Works anytime, and on any app.

Not sure on android devices, but since android is what powers most childrens electronics, its probably even easier.! :D

Mine does this very rarely. Very disturbing when you are counting on that image so heavily.

It does normally chop the video file at the 9+ minute mark, but usually there is no gimbal jitter associated with it. Yesterday I was flying near an FPV-er and video dropped out for a second or two, and I think the gimbal reset itself at the same time - I think it was interference from his drone in that case.

With an Iphone or Ipad, Press the side button and the home button at the same time. You will hear the snapshot sound and the screen shot will be in your photos. Works anytime, and on any app.

Not sure on android devices, but since android is what powers most childrens electronics, its probably even easier.! :D

Thanks. I know about that trick for capturing a screenshot with an iPhone but he has a full video of what is going on with the DJI Go App. I don't know how to do that.

I know this is a complete newbie question but how did you get the screen capture video of the DJI Go app during the flight?

Latest iOS has screen capture capabilities. Android has apps that do it. Have a google.

Towers produce interference but not electrical interference. Those would have to be some seriously powerful radio signals and I'm talking dangerous to humans level powerful.

This "gimbal wigout" has happened to me on numerous occasions in the past. Each time I was flying out in the wilderness and it occurs exactly 9 minutes into the video with recovery of the gimbal in less than 30 seconds. Disconcerting, but it has never caused a crash. Now I format my microSD before every flight and it hasn't happened since.

Hi, after 6 min flight on about 70m over the sea level, a got this. After changing my underware, RTH engaged.
what happend? too strong wind?

Do you see that BIG red warning in the corner of your screen? Its warning you about wind! Now lets see if we can figure out what happened? Hmmmmm

Not really. I fly around them often. Some companies use the mavic to inspect the towers too.

I feel the same way you do. I received my mavic for my birthday on 10/4/17 and 2 weeks later it starts to act up. Gimbal goes crazy. It usually happens while recording in 4K right at the 9 minute mark. First time it happened it looked like it was struck by a bird or just falling out of the sky. Doesn’t happen every time but usually when you are recording a great scene. I contacted DJI And was told to calibrate this then calibrate that, update this and update that and if that didn’t resolve the issue I needed to send it back. Really? Brand new and you want me to send it back? Come to find out, many mavic owners are experiencing the same issue for at least a year back. So DJI has known about this for over a year and has done nothing to fix the problem. I have also read that many mavic owners have sent their mavics back, only to receive a unit that is worse and it is a refurbished unit. I have been very reluctant to send mine back for the very reasons listed. A company that continues to make a product knowing there is a design flaw, should not be rewarded with more sales, but that’s exactly what is happening. It also tells that the management at DJI doesn’t care about QUALITY CONTROL. When you pay 1299.00 for a product you shouldn’t have to send it back to have it fixed right out the box. I have had 0 hard landings and 0 crashes since owning the mavic. I Love flying this thing but DJI will never fix this issue because they are making to much money because people continue buying a flawed product. I read that 2-3 out of 50 are flawed coming out if the factory. Truly sad but not unexpected. What DJI should do is offer a loaner mavic to people who are having issues until their bird is fixed. Which means sending a unit out with a return label and box for you to send yours back. Until DJI suffers in the pocket book you can look forward to reading the same issues over and over.

I had this problem a while back. Make sure to update to the latest firmware if you have not done that already (that was part of my solution to the problem). Then perform a clean IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration. Make sure to redo the compass calibration as well after the IMU calibration. I am quite sure this will solve your problem.

Also, keep in mind with high wind, there can be significant wind pressure on the gimbal usually combined with a significant attack angle (aircraft pitch or roll to overcome wind). This can cause the gimbal control system to temporarily get in trouble resulting in some short lived erratic gimbal movements. To combat this to a degree, I use a sun shade as it will help reducing wind loading on the gimbal. I use the Polar PRO lens hood. It is not as effective for sun glare, but you don't get any vignetting even if you pitch upwards.

This "gimbal wigout" has happened to me on numerous occasions in the past. Each time I was flying out in the wilderness and it occurs exactly 9 minutes into the video with recovery of the gimbal in less than 30 seconds. Disconcerting, but it has never caused a crash. Now I format my microSD before every flight and it hasn't happened since.

9 minutes at 4K is 4GB - this is the file size limit the Mavic uses (it will cut videos at the 4GB mark even on exFAT formatted 64GB+ cards).

Faulty cards, or cards formatted outside the Mavic, can cause gimbal errors and malfunctions.

Use multiple cards, and format in the Mavic before takeoff. When changing battery, change cards and format the new one.

Reactions: SZNJ732
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive