DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What the * *** happened here?

Same thing happened to me flying near the Ben Franklin Bridge over the Delaware , in Philadelphia. Camera went crazy and then automatic RTH. Nothing was wrong with camera or drone. Still have no idea. Never happened again.

The gimbals do this all the time. Sometimes they sort themselves out, sometime dont..

Hi, after 6 min flight on about 70m over the sea level, a got this. After changing my underware, RTH engaged.
what happend? too strong wind?

Your video seems to stop at 13:39 (not 6 mins). With the setting of 1080p @48 fps, it is likely that the event came at the end of writing a 4GB file on your SD card (exfat 64GB?). Use a FAT32 SD card, such as the one inserted by DJI, the problem should go away.

Reactions: SZNJ732
What firmware for the AC do you have on it. I have never seen/had a gimbal reset. I think from reading here in the forums, they resets seemed to appear after .700 (I think) on the AC.
I still fly with what came on my machine: .400 for the AC, and 4.0.5 for the app.
Zero gimbal resets, no NFZ limitations, still "not hobbled" by updates....

Your video seems to stop at 13:39 (not 6 mins). With the setting of 1080p @48 fps, it is likely that the event came at the end of writing a 4GB file on your SD card (exfat 64GB?). Use a FAT32 SD card, such as the one inserted by DJI, the problem should go away.

thats it! seems so obvious now.. gimble screws up right at 4gb file cut off. had the same thing happen to me a few times, now i know why... thanks!!!

Reactions: fiberdude
thats it! seems so obvious now.. gimble screws up right at 4gb file cut off. had the same thing happen to me a few times, now i know why... thanks!!!

Ensure you format the card in the Mavic before flight, and carry extras so you can swap them with batteries.

If you still have issues, try a different card.

What firmware for the AC do you have on it. I have never seen/had a gimbal reset. I think from reading here in the forums, they resets seemed to appear after .700 (I think) on the AC.
I still fly with what came on my machine: .400 for the AC, and 4.0.5 for the app.

I've had two or three gimbal resets on .400, they occurred on subsequent flights in locations I've flown with no issue before then didn't see the issue again afterwards which is odd.

Lastest update

I believe for most people the exfat SD card is the cause of inflight gimble reset. Few would have thought of it.

See below from another thread on the same issue:

Maybe I should have phrased it like this: Not all exfat 64GB cards have issues with gimble reset, and even for those with inflight reset, it cannot be reproduced every time (as @CZ-SP01 claims, it only happened to him every 3 or 4 flights).

But when it does happen, its with expat 64GB microSD card (such as Samsung 64GB EVO plus), at either initialisation or conclusion of writing a 4GB mov file on the card. For 4K @30fps, it could occur at 9:06 (but not every time). If you use 64GB card for short flights or with lower resolutions such as 2.7K or 1080p, its likely you may never encounter this problem.

I believe for most people the exfat SD card is the cause of inflight gimble reset. Few would have thought of it.

See below from another thread on the same issue:

exactly! i would've never thought exfat cards caused inflight gimbal resets. especially when you read posts like "oh my mavic crashed, must been faulty mem. card" , so i was skeptical at first, but then i went back and check my footage and there it was at 9min /4gb. but just on the first video of that flight, all other vids thereafter were ok & no gimbal issues.
this saved me time doing gimbal & IMU calibs and other fun stuff, thank you!

The Mavic is a bit annoying with memory cards.

Despite exFAT supporting files over 4GB, it still forces a file cut.

Regardless, always format the cards in the drone before flight.

exactly! i would've never thought exfat cards caused inflight gimbal resets. especially when you read posts like "oh my mavic crashed, must been faulty mem. card" , so i was skeptical at first, but then i went back and check my footage and there it was at 9min /4gb. but just on the first video of that flight, all other vids thereafter were ok & no gimbal issues.
this saved me time doing gimbal & IMU calibs and other fun stuff, thank you!
Hmm... Mine's exFAT and I always go over the 4 GB mark. No resets here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078