DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to look out for 2nd hand

mreco99

Reactions
As I might have mentioned, im looking at the Air2s combo
Second hand looks tempting, especially when the battery cycles reported are very very low (like 0, 1, 2). And everything looks perfect.

Im cautious and slightly sceptical by nature.

Ive just thought, if people selling these with very very low cycle times, they might have just bought new batteries and be claiming the drones had almost no use??

Part of me thinks, dont even bother second hand, its too risky?

thanks for the tips for

Last edited:
It never a bad idea to ask them why they are selling ?
Battery is least of the worries , its all about the gimbal and the camera, so keep your focus there.

have them send you a small video clip of the drone sitting on a table showing a perfect horizon line if need be.
Also a video clip of the drone being turned from the front .

Also make sure that they are going to pack it in the original box ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: mreco99
thanks, do you mean "a video of the drone being turned ON, from the front" I guess this shows if the camera gimbal all self level ok?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@mreco99 If possible i would advise you to meet up with the seller, and have them give you a demonstration of the drone flying ,and this will also allow you to inspect the gear that is being sold ,a lot of people are off loading second hand drones right now in the UK and Europe ,because of the rule changes starting next year and because finances have become tight with the sharp rise in living costs due to world events ,its the old buyer beware issue ,yes you can get a bargain ,but equally you can end up with a brick

I bought several drones second hand via ebay, only had problems with one and it got sent back "not as described", that seller was uncooperative, ebay refunded me when he was slow refunding.
All the rest were as described or better.
If the condition type is "used" then ebay's definition of "used" applies irrespective of anything in the seller's description.

Yes I think that as 'used' is described as 'fully functional' then the platform will cough up if its duff. But thats just my experience, good point

Just an opinion, but I’d only buy used if I met the seller in person and saw it fly. The exception would be from someone well known on this forum and with a good reputation. Best wishes.

Reactions: mreco99
Why not getting a Refurbished unit? I know is a little bit more expensive than a used one but less pricey than new and you'll get the peace of mind that the drone will fly like new and even able to get the DJI Care Refresh. That's what I did with my Air 2S.

Reactions: Dbez1
Why not getting a Refurbished unit? I know is a little bit more expensive than a used one but less pricey than new and you'll get the peace of mind that the drone will fly like new and even able to get the DJI Care Refresh. That's what I did with my Air 2S.
I second that! My Air2 was refurbished and in perfect condition, even the wrapper was as new.

Reactions: Faster
yes ive often bought refurbed stuff, does the manufacturer to refurbed?

I agree with meeting in person and making sure you do a test run. I've bought two second hand drones and haven't regretted it. My Air2s came from someone who upgraded to a M3 so no problems at all.
I buy all my phones and other tech second hand. In general I find if people are willing to give you their address and phone number rather than a PM or email that's a good indication they won't rip you off because it's easy to find someone back with that info.
Good luck!

You could also ask for a screenshot of flight logs, the ones that the drone records on your DJI account.
Without going and starting up my drone to check, I think it keeps a pretty good record of times and dates. And total flight time, I think.

If you are doing a FTF transaction also make sure that the seller removes the drone from their account before handing over the money.

I bought several drones second hand via ebay, only had problems with one and it got sent back "not as described", that seller was uncooperative, ebay refunded me when he was slow refunding.
All the rest were as described or better.
If the condition type is "used" then ebay's definition of "used" applies irrespective of anything in the seller's description.
I've bought a Mini 2 and and an Air 2 on eBay, both proved to be faultless, although the Mini2 user had not logged out of his DJI account, which was a faff, but he remained helpful. I think some buyers may find themselves in a NFZ or an urban location, and don't have the fun they were expecting so they are 'moved on' with little use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima