DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What types of commercial work can be performed using the Mavic 3?

ClearPropMedia

Reactions
Hello everyone,

Happy new year! In March 2021, I took it upon myself to get my part 107 license. At the time, I did this more as a challenge for myself, than it was for business. However, after flying my drones for the last year, I have decided that in 2022 I want to put my license to good use. Currently, I have the DJI Mavic 3.

I’m aware that there are multiple uses for drone technology, and some of them will require an enterprise level drone. However, I’m not ready to drop money on an enterprise level drone yet. Could you share with me what type of commercial work I could do with the DJI Mavic 3? I would love a list of uses that I could further investigate.

Also, if you would be willing to share hints and tricks for getting started in the industry, that would be awesome. I still plan to keep my day job! I think it will just be fun to turn my love of drones into some revenue this year. Perhaps supplement my spending habits for camera gear..

Thanks!

Reactions: gcopter1
I see the M3 as more of a high quality photo / video creative tool, more suited to the cinematic field or high end photography use.

Whatever you can use the M3 for in a more regular commercial type field (high end real estate probably number one, but very competitive, inspections - domestic roof / gutter, more commercial similar work, mapping (yet?), you can easily get by with an Air2s or 2, or even a Mavic Pro M1P.

But I see the M2P/Z as the best in the field for this sort of work right now, and especially the M2EA with its thermal capability.
You can then take on thermal inspections (solar and building) with some training investment, time / $, and particularly mapping / quantitive type applications for industries like quarry stockpile monitoring etc.

You will need at least one back up drone anyway if taking commercial work on seriously, so maybe to start a good value 2nd hand M2EA or even the simpler M2E, if you can find one ?

Personally I feel a small drone like a Mini2 would be great to have as a small drone option in a commercial drone arsenal, for shoots that you’d be better suited to use one indoors etc.

All the best with going forward in the new venture, whatever you choose to get into.

Greg from piolet institute did an interview with one gentleman who does high end gigs full time. It was surprising to me how many gigs he got with smaller drones. Some because of confined space others just due the the cost differential between his prosumer DJI and a rented "monster" drone. He would present both quotes to the client and the client would choose to be frugal. His success was due to him becoming connected. Word of mouth stuff. I've been offered numerous gigs as well from being connected. I work a couple days a week at a floor covering outlet and I'm old and like to talk about the drone. Not even as a sales intro just because I find it fun. I've become connected with a lot of people in a lot of different walks of life. Weddings, funerals, real estate, musical acts, simple advertising, etc. I have a friend who has a 107 and refer folks to him. I am considering getting a 107 as I have a friend who is an excellent photographer and wants to start a business doing real estate shoots. This is interesting to me as his wife would do all the management and client interface. She is in a tangential business and is set up to do this. I want nothing with money haggling. That would destroy the joy.

Greg from piolet institute did an interview with one gentleman who does high end gigs full time. It was surprising to me how many gigs he got with smaller drones. Some because of confined space others just due the the cost differential between his prosumer DJI and a rented "monster" drone. He would present both quotes to the client and the client would choose to be frugal. His success was due to him becoming connected. Word of mouth stuff. I've been offered numerous gigs as well from being connected. I work a couple days a week at a floor covering outlet and I'm old and like to talk about the drone. Not even as a sales intro just because I find it fun. I've become connected with a lot of people in a lot of different walks of life. Weddings, funerals, real estate, musical acts, simple advertising, etc. I have a friend who has a 107 and refer folks to him. I am considering getting a 107 as I have a friend who is an excellent photographer and wants to start a business doing real estate shoots. This is interesting to me as his wife would do all the management and client interface. She is in a tangential business and is set up to do this. I want nothing with money haggling. That would destroy the joy.
You know that as long as just one person in a filming company has Part 107 and is present when the filing is going on, any one of you, without a Part 107, can actually do the flying and filming.

• Wow
Reactions: DoomMeister
I had no idea. That is great to know. I really want to get the part 107 but I'm old and don't test well anymore. I paid for the class but haven't got up the nerve to start it yet. The biggest turn off was the first instruction to download the regs. I hate gooberment regs. They are inept, ambiguous, Ludacris, and just infuriate me to think these moron's have control. Sorry, just a subtle opinion.

" I really want to get the part 107 but I'm old and don't test well anymore. "
I felt the same way, so I took on the challenge as a way to gage just how bad my memory had gotten. Over about a three week period devoting a couple of hours a day, I watched all the videos online, actually read part 107, read the FAA study guide a couple of times and took a few practice test, going back over any material I had missed questions on. I passed the exam with a 97%. Give it a shot, it's actually interesting. I found it to be a fun process and it looks like I'm not as old as I was thinking.

I felt the same way, so I took on the challenge as a way to gage just how bad my memory had gotten. Over about a three week period devoting a couple of hours a day, I watched all the videos online, actually read part 107, read the FAA study guide a couple of times and took a few practice test, going back over any material I had missed questions on. I passed the exam with a 97%. Give it a shot, it's actually interesting. I found it to be a fun process and it looks like I'm not as old as I was thinking.
That is encouraging and it's winter again. Good time for it.

Hello everyone,

Happy new year! In March 2021, I took it upon myself to get my part 107 license. At the time, I did this more as a challenge for myself, than it was for business. However, after flying my drones for the last year, I have decided that in 2022 I want to put my license to good use. Currently, I have the DJI Mavic 3.

I’m aware that there are multiple uses for drone technology, and some of them will require an enterprise level drone. However, I’m not ready to drop money on an enterprise level drone yet. Could you share with me what type of commercial work I could do with the DJI Mavic 3? I would love a list of uses that I could further investigate.

Also, if you would be willing to share hints and tricks for getting started in the industry, that would be awesome. I still plan to keep my day job! I think it will just be fun to turn my love of drones into some revenue this year. Perhaps supplement my spending habits for camera gear..

Thanks!
Thank everyone for the input on this thread. I am seriously considering 107 gig as well. However I don't have an M3, I've been flying an Air 2S. I've seeing more and more opportunities for commercial work. Once I obtain my 107 I plan to start advertising and see what happens.

Thank everyone for the input on this thread. I am seriously considering 107 gig as well. However I don't have an M3, I've been flying an Air 2S. I've seeing more and more opportunities for commercial work. Once I obtain my 107 I plan to start advertising and see what happens.

WELCOME to the forum :)

Once I obtain my 107 I plan to start advertising and see what happens.

More of a marketing type approach might be better than general advertising $$$.
Networking and selected personal calls.
Tough to break into general drone commercial work, but can work in some locations yet touched by the drone phenomenon.
Not many of those left now, but some basic marketing research will reveal any opportunities.
Good luck with future ventures.

edit typo

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BigAl07

You might also benefit from joining our sister forum www.commercialdronepilots.com

You know that as long as just one person in a filming company has Part 107 and is present when the filing is going on, any one of you, without a Part 107, can actually do the flying and filming.
I guess that's one way of looking at it, but the FAA insists that the "pilot in command" have a Part 107 license. Executing the duties of PIC certainly requires being present during the operation, but there's more to it than just being around. He's got to be involved enough to be in command of the safe operation of the flight. The PIC is one of the people required to maintain VLOS with the drone at all times (the others are the person manipulating controls and visual observer, if they exist for that flight). I agree with your point that the person manipulating the controls doesn't necessarily have to have a license.

Reactions: rx7ward

While YES that is "Technically" possible "being present" isn't going to be enough to fulfill all of the requirements.

AC 107-2A (valid 2/1/2021) also states:

5.9 VLOS Aircraft Operation. The remote PIC and person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small unmanned aircraft at all times during flight (§ 107.31).....

There's much more to it than just that first sentence but that pretty much means the PIC must be there and at least able to see the aircraft throughout the entire flight. I would dare say that if there were a genuine "Ramp Check" and the designated PIC was off on an errand, in a food trailer etc etc the whole process would quickly be shut down.

The PIC has to physically be with 'the person manipulating the control' at all times during the flight, not just on-sight or near by.

§ 107.12 Requirement for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may manipulate the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system unless:

(1) That person has a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of § 107.65; or
(2) That person is under the direct supervision of a remote pilot in command and the remote pilot in command has the ability to immediately take direct control of the flight of the small unmanned aircraft.

I had no idea. That is great to know. I really want to get the part 107 but I'm old and don't test well anymore. I paid for the class but haven't got up the nerve to start it yet. The biggest turn off was the first instruction to download the regs. I hate gooberment regs. They are inept, ambiguous, Ludacris, and just infuriate me to think these moron's have control. Sorry, just a subtle opinion.
If you decide to take the course you will find it fairly easy to follow. I have gone through the course and am studying parts of it more in depth for now. I plan to test once I get back to Michigan as the testing site is local.

If you have questions about any of the subject matter there is a study group on Facebook and there are many here on the forum that are very knowledgeable.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121