DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini What was your first drone? This little guy was mine!

Jug's Life

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
syma x5c.jpg

Was organizing my files and came across my first drone ever - the Syma X5C.

I paid about $50 on some overseas website, around 2014. It showed up a month later. It handled shockingly well, it even had a trick mode where it would flip itself around. It also started quite an addiction as I fly drones virtually everyday now.

What was your first drone?

Reactions: kalimah and dougdez
View attachment 164719

I paid about $50 on some overseas website, around 2014. It showed up a month later. It handled shockingly well, it even had a trick mode where it would flip itself around. It also started quite an addiction as I fly drones virtually everyday now.

Mine also! Loved it.

Reactions: Jug's Life
DJI SPARK (green) 2017.

View attachment 164719

I have one too :p

my very first drone was a basic tiny indoor drone with a built in battery that flew for about 5 minutes on a good day ,and then took 2 hours to charge from the batteries in the tiny controller
it had no altitude hold ,so it was to say the least ,very entertaining to try and keep airborne,for more than a few seconds before it hit something ,more often than not me
i got it from a local supermarket ,and if memory serves my right it was about £7 or so
i remember it was made in Germany
the best thing about it was ,it was virtually indestructible no matter how many times it made contact ,it survived ,the prop guards and the frame, seemed to be made of a very flexible type of plastic that just soaked up the impacts
i do know it lasted long enough for me to achieve my greatest moment with it ,and that was after several weeks of short hops, landings and crashes ,i eventually managed to keep it flying till it auto landed because the battery was all used up
but by then it was too late ,i was hooked and that little drone started my love affair with all things drone

View attachment 164719

Don’t remember brand, but was about a $30 toy I gave to a friend’s children after a couple flights.

please read what I said, I said before DJI came along, not before there were any commercial quads.
as soon as DJI brought out the first quad I got one right away
unless your comment was aimed at Kilrah ?

Sorry teccer wrong reply [thinking buy before build if possible] and I was not limiting the scope to only DJI
*** Small toy remote-controlled quad copters were produced in Japan already in the early 1990s ***

My first was around $50... can't even remember the name, but I think UFO was in it. I had it exactly 26 hours before the wind took it away. Wasn't strong enough to come back. But that 26 hours was enough to convince me and I ordered a Phantom (1) the next day. Also had to get a GoPro, which in those days was a Hero 3. Since then I've had a Phantom 3A which, after a repair, came back to me as a 3P. Now, I've got a Mavic Air and a little tiny one my son bought me that I can fly in the house.

Funny thing with the first one: It crashed in a tree near a neighbor's house. Two months later, it blew out of the tree, which was right outside his back door. He returned it and it still worked. I took the micro SD card out and it showed the whole event. Takeoff, fly around a bit, when it got above the trees (we're out in the woods) the wind caught it, and for the rest of the video (essentially the life of the battery) it showed a closeup of the pine branches in which it was lodged.

Attachments

• Drones_Compare_06.jpg
    Drones_Compare_06.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 164719

A used DJI Phantom 3 Pro was my first drone! Then I got a DJI Mavic Mini which I eventually gave to my dad.

View attachment 164719

DJI Spark

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav