DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What will it do when Mavic mini lost signal without activating RTH?

Weiwei

Reactions
Hi Mavic Mini Pilots, a newbie here looking for some help

I had a flyaway Saturday and lost my connection to the drone,

It's a windy day so for the beginning I was trying to keep it low and right above me, then I saw the drone was OK in the air so I raised it up, it was OK until around 2 minutes, suddenly it lost control, all the pitch back or roll to side operations were not working, I believe that's the time it was caught by the wind. There was a lake below so I was afraid of falling into the lake so I was trying to move to the side, and waited until it had passed the lake then lower the drone, unforturnately I didn't have enough time to low it all the way down before I had lost the link.

from the "Find My Drone" function I found a coordination so I went to the location hoping I could find my drone, with no luck.
After coming back home, I pulled out the flight record from my phone and checked it on Airdata.com, realized at that location, the drone was 20 meters high in the air.

Based on the manual, I have heard the mini would activate the RTH function, but before I lost the connection, I had tried to activated the RTH, all I got was the strong wind warning and it could not be done.

From the flight record I realized when I totally lost my signal, at the same time the flight log said the battery was at the maximum distance, is it the possible reason why I lost my signal?

Does anyone have the experience of this type of situation? Was there any chance the drone lost signal, and it couldn't RTH so it had landed somewhere? I would like to guess where it could be and try to find it.

Any input would be appreciated!

Here is the flight log

Last edited:
Upload your flight logs here, follow these instructions, Meta4 will then be able to analyse the flight path to give you a better indication where it might have landed.
The MM would have instigated a RTH on loss of the signal, but I suspect that given the wind warning that it was too strong for the MM to RTH and it was subsequently blown away until the battery ran out.
What was your RTH height set at ?

Reactions: Thomas B
Upload your flight logs here, follow these instructions, Meta4 will then be able to analyse the flight path to give you a better indication where it might have landed.
The MM would have instigated a RTH on loss of the signal, but I suspect that given the wind warning that it was too strong for the MM to RTH and it was subsequently blown away until the battery ran out.
What was your RTH height set at ?

Thanks for the suggestion, I will update the post

It still had 66% of battery, if it kept flying in the air, with this wind it could be miles away.

If I recall right RTH was set at 30m.

Assuming that autolanding occurred at 15% battery. The projected landing position is somewhere around what's indicated in the map below with big uncertainty. It's about 3 miles from the home point. I am afraid the chance of finding it is quite slim.

1601387852721.png

Last edited:
Assuming that autolanding occurred at 15% battery. The projected landing position is somewhere around what's indicated in the map below with big uncertainty. It's about 3 miles from the home point. I am afraid the chance of finding it is quite slim.

View attachment 114047
Yes, I had the similar guess, and it is in a farm, so I don't think I have a chance of finding it. Lesson learned. Thanks!

Also recommend maintaining VLOS distance per your eyesight.
I had, before the wind took control of it.

It was just above me and the horizontal distance maybe just within 50 metes, I could see it clearly then suddenly the wind decided to take it for a ride and never come back, from the map you can tell it went away in almost a straight line. No pitch back or rolling to side maneuver worked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22