DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What would you do?

Calhoun Ranger

Reactions
This is a serious question to 107 certificated remote pilots. Given the following scenario, what would you REALLY do?
Outskirts of Class E SFC airspace, where it is against the FAA regulations to even get a drone off the ground. A group very interested in drones want to see the drone fly. Even if you keep it under the trees, a licensed remote pilot is not allowed to get it off the ground.
Common sense tells me that this should be allowed, but I really do try to stay within regs. What would you do?
Truly trying to respect the FAA regulations . . .

Why is this group so important to impress? Risk vs reward isn't clear here.
Good point, not trying to impress, though. A group of professionals wanting to implement drones for a power utility. Partly, though, I am venting. I know FAA regs can't cover every scenario, but this one seems to be too limiting.

Good point, not trying to impress, though. A group of professionals wanting to implement drones for a power utility. Partly, though, I am venting. I know FAA regs can't cover every scenario, but this one seems to be too limiting.

I would be extra cautious doing it in front of anyone - especially for a commercial application. All it takes is for someone to report you. But I sympathize with you, because if I got a new Corvette, I might at some point double the speed limit when no one is around.

When you say "outskirts of Class E SFC" what do you mean. You are either in the Class E SFC airspace or you're not. Which is it?

When you say "outskirts of Class E SFC" what do you mean. You are either in the Class E SFC airspace or you're not. Which is it?
Sorry if I was unclear; what I mean is the farthest away from the airport I can be without being outside of the Class E SFC.

I would load the group up in a car, drive a half mile to a spot outside of the controlled airspace and show them there. It would be a great chance to educate them on Part 107 rules and what would be required for them to safely and legally operate commercially.

This is a serious question to 107 certificated remote pilots. Given the following scenario, what would you REALLY do?
Outskirts of Class E SFC airspace, where it is against the FAA regulations to even get a drone off the ground. A group very interested in drones want to see the drone fly. Even if you keep it under the trees, a licensed remote pilot is not allowed to get it off the ground.
Common sense tells me that this should be allowed, but I really do try to stay within regs. What would you do?

dont be such a posse

Reactions: jasperthewonderdog
Wouldn't you just need to call SFC and ask for permission to operate in their Class E airspace for a brief moment?

Stay within the regulations; should be a no brainer.

I would load the group up in a car, drive a half mile to a spot outside of the controlled airspace and show them there. It would be a great chance to educate them on Part 107 rules and what would be required for them to safely and legally operate commercially.
Good advice; it will prove professionalism from your side and gain confidence from the group that you're not just "anyone flying a drone" they just bumped into, but someone who is responsible in his actions.

Common sense tells me that this should be allowed
Problem is if something goes wrong and the drone goes out of control. Or it enters RTH and climbs into a dangerous path (you're supposed to have RTH height set right, but we know how people forget).

Prove to them that you are a true professional and tell them you can't fly there. How close are you to the airport?

Even if you keep it under the trees, a licensed remote pilot is not allowed to get it off the ground.
Just because you have a 107 certification doesn't mean that every flight you make is under the rules of the certification. You can still fly for fun - under hobby rules. The real question is could you fly it under Hobby rules.

You answered the question. Do not violate the rules. Common sense does not play into it... follow the regs or do not and risk your certification. The question really is an integrity question because you are not likely to encounter a problem if you choose to fly outside the rules but... I would tell those guys to go to an area that you can fly legally and within the guidelines.

Wouldn't you just need to call SFC and ask for permission to operate in their Class E airspace for a brief moment?
No, not under 107. This would require a waiver. Good luck with that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS