DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's it worth.---submerged drone

Firstly don't dry it in rice, unfortunately this incorrect advice seems to be given any time water damage is mentioned. This page explains why not to do that and what to do instead:

Water damaged items tend to have a low value since the amount of damage to the hardware can vary significantly and difficult to assess whereas with a physical crash it's usually reasonably clearcut what's damaged and what isn't.
Does that link still work for you? (Or anyone else?). I would love to read something on this subject.

Break it for spares. My Phantom went in to fresh water and was there for 20 minutes. Rice dried it out,yes it does work very well, but whilst the drone would power up one of the motor drive controllers was burnt out.

The camera and gimble was 100% okay, as was the motors, air fame, legs, props, gps, controller and all of the spares I had. The battery had not faired well, it sort of worked, I scrapped that.

In the end I sold all the parts except the main PCB on eBay for, wait for it, more than i would have got for the complete working drone. The camera and gimble fetched the most and went in 3 days.

I tested everything as the drone still powered up. So you might get more breaking for spares.

I have a Maverick pro to and it’s flying 6 feet high in front of me in the altitude it showing 20 feet high is there an adjustment that I can make to give it a true reading

I crashed in the ocean and recovered my platinum. I have a lengthy post about it. It wouldn't connect to the controller at first, but now it does, and it flies OK. I ordered a new camera/gimbal assembly, and I'm waiting for it now. Steve

Can't tell you a value, but if it happens again you can blow out all the water with compressed air ASAP and put it in rice for a few days. I had a couple water landings with good results as stated.
Fresh water won't oxidise as fast a salt water, so if you act fast getting it dried off and in rice, you should be good to go, including the battery. Salt water no chance... I just recovered one in fresh water since last August. No chance for this one after 10 months underwater but the mSD card was fine so the pictures were recovered. When hired always have a backup as I did and got the shots I needed.

2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Reactions: BigAl07
When you get it back from DJI I will buy it for $225 plus shipping if you decide to not go through the EBAY exercise, which can be time consuming. What would come with the M2P? controller? battery? charger?

A more complete article about the rice myth on iFixit is here:

I personally have first hand experience (not hearsay ) using dried rice to hopefully help revive a phone that took a "Swim" in the toilet. My Blackberry feel into the bowl (clean water, mostly) and it was on (it was operating under water). I immediately grabbed it, pulled the battery, and let it drip dry as must as it would. I then placed into a bag of dried rice (battery and phone but not connected) for 3 days.

On day 3 I reunited the battery and the blackberry and it turned on and worked perfectly. While my case may be an exception it worked.

When you get it back from DJI I will buy it for $225 plus shipping
If he decides to sell it it will be through our classified section.
Thats where we do our buying and selling not in post in other sections in case you didn’t know.?

Reactions: BigAl07
I personally have first hand experience (not hearsay ) using dried rice to hopefully help revive a phone that took a "Swim" in the toilet. My Blackberry feel into the bowl (clean water, mostly) and it was on (it was operating under water). I immediately grabbed it, pulled the battery, and let it drip dry as must as it would. I then placed into a bag of dried rice (battery and phone but not connected) for 3 days.

On day 3 I reunited the battery and the blackberry and it turned on and worked perfectly. While my case may be an exception it worked.

Appreciate your first hand experience. The problem is however, this doesn't prove that the rice method was the reason why the Blackberry powered on. Only an analysis of the conductor tracks inside under a suitable microscope would tell you what was or wasn't going on.

In my book: Rice is for dinner, not for repair.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair