DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the obsession with sub-250g drones?

I should specify before commenting more than I'm in the US so the sub-250g may be a bigger deal outside of the US than I'm aware of.....

Seriously though ... what's the big deal with sub-250g drones? Mavic Mini 3 Pro comes out and that seems to be the big talking point and advertising point but why?

That said... Are there really that many recreational flyers out there that want these drones simply because they don't have to register them with the FAA?

Are there that many recreational flyers that will spend $1000 just to fly for fun?

Are all these higher end features worth it for a recreational flyer? Yes a smaller drone is nice and compact for travel and such but if you're one to be traveling and taking photos then I would think that you were "flying with a purpose" and would need to be Part 107 registered and register your drone anyway. The smaller drone and more professional feature set is great for a Part 107 flyer but seems a bit much for a rec flyer and overkill.

The Mavic Mini 3 Pro advertises the new "vertical mode" shooting to better allow for posting on social media. ... Again, Part 107 requirement even if you're not monetized.

As soon as you start flying over people (even transitioning) you're most likely going to be using the prop guards... now you're over 250g and FAA registration is required.

Not knocking the smaller drones in any way at all. I'm knocking the whole marketing of them being under 250g vs just focusing on the compact form factor making it easier to take with you. Even the bigger YouTube guys out there have jumped on the bandwagon but rarely (if ever) remind people about proper registration of the drones in this category. Even DJI has a tiny footnote regarding registration requirements. There are so many stories on this forum and other places about "bad apples" flying drones that I wonder how much of that is because of the way these things are marketed now and how YouTubers have made them so popular. Seems like people are being told.. hey go out and buy this drone because the FAA doesn't have to know you have one... BUT recreational flyers are under many of the exact same rules as Part 107 flyers. Just seems like an industry disconnect now that this category seems to be growing.

-- Rant Off --
A sub 250g bird makes sense if you want to travel internationally, both because of its packability and because in some countries you have more freedom to fly it.

In Europe it is a regulatory problem. A UAS <250gr has fewer restrictions than those with a higher weight. Especially for flight in an urban environment (STS 01). As soon as all the EASA countries have adapted this standard (Spain has not yet done so; it will shortly issue its RD UAS) they will have even more restrictions in urban scenarios. The restrictions and fines are very high. In Europe you cannot take out your drone (even if it weighs <250 gr.) and fly happily. It is advisable to consult these restrictions for travelers, so as not to get very unpleasant surprises, especially economic ones. The mini 3 still does not come with class marking, so in Europe from December 31, 2023 it can only be flown in A1-A3.
Highly recommend checking out the wiki www.mavicpilots.com/wiki

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
Good morning to all-
I can only speak to the Mini 2 sub 250 gr drone- but the reasons people are so enthusiastic about this drone are manifold. First, it's very easy to operate and learning to operate this drone is faster than most other drone. Second, it is a very light and compact little tool for transportation- easy in a backpack or large pocket for hikers and beach walkers. Next, of course are the legal restrictions placed on drone fliers by many countries and municipalities- the Mini 2 is legal in lots of places.. Next, the Mini 2 is affordable- compared to other sub 250gr drones, the Mini 2 is quite reasonable in cost.
Finally, the Mini 2 is such a superb flying machine. Its range is very good, its control is superb- Occusync 2 is a wonderful system, and the photo work it does is superior,
So, what's not to be enthusiastic about?

I fly my Mini 2s on a daily basis in all kinds of conditions, and I have not been disappointed yet.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Here in AZ, drones are already banned in state parks. They are also banned in regional "county' parks, which is unfathomable to me. These parks are thousands of acres of empty desert with a few picnic tables.
Never underestimate the Drone Police. They come from many different sources. Things are really getting out of control with regulations. Wyoming is even talking about outlawing drones on State Parks. The last thing we need are more regulations.....

Good morning to all-
DSRT VLTR- I bought my son-he lives in Chandler- a Mini 1 for Christmas for him to learn on. He has found a few places out there where he can fly, but my gosh- why would those acres and acres of desert be ruled a no fly zone?
I can understand why drones- and any other flying device- would be banned over crowds and gatherings, and I even understand why certain places- the Grand Canyon and even Petrified Forest areas would be no fly, but banning drones from places where there are few or no people- makes no sense.
I am bringing my drones with me on our next visit to AZ- hopefully this summer- and I want badly to get some videos and photos of Superstition Mountain, Salt River, and the upper Salt River Canyon. I want to fly and take videos up in the White Mountains, too.
There are some fantastic places in AZ for drones to work- I just hope they're not all declared off-limits for drone fliers.

Good morning to all-
DSRT VLTR- I bought my son-he lives in Chandler- a Mini 1 for Christmas for him to learn on. He has found a few places out there where he can fly, but my gosh- why would those acres and acres of desert be ruled a no fly zone?
I can understand why drones- and any other flying device- would be banned over crowds and gatherings, and I even understand why certain places- the Grand Canyon and even Petrified Forest areas would be no fly, but banning drones from places where there are few or no people- makes no sense.
I am bringing my drones with me on our next visit to AZ- hopefully this summer- and I want badly to get some videos and photos of Superstition Mountain, Salt River, and the upper Salt River Canyon. I want to fly and take videos up in the White Mountains, too.
There are some fantastic places in AZ for drones to work- I just hope they're not all declared off-limits for drone fliers.

Yeah, I live in Mesa AZ & I don't understand why you can't launch from a Maricopa Regional Park, either. In several of those parks, I have discovered make-shift firing ranges, unauthorized fire rings surrounded by broken booze bottles & beer cans and of course ATV's & desert buggies tearing up the trails, but launching a drone from there is considered a step too far???

I restrict my drone piloting to Tonto National Forest because they allow drones as long as you follow FAA regulations & don't harass wildlife. Also, you can't launch from the two designated Wilderness Areas, but Forest Service rules say you can launch from outside their borders into their airspace. That's why I always launch from the side of a US Forest Service road, because roads aren't allowed in the Designated Wilderness Areas, I figure I'm legal.

I usually launch my DJI Mini 2 from parking lots next to Bush Highway in Mesa & from dirt road pull-outs off of the Apache Trail in Apache Junction.

DSRT VLTR-
When we were out there helping with grandkids in 2016, we explored the countryside quite a bit- anything to get out of Phoenix...
I really enjoyed the Apache Trail, and I think there are some grand places to fly a drone from the road way there. Down toward fish Creek is really nice. I think Butcher Jones rec area out on the lake might be a great place to drone, too- if it's allowed.
As I said, I really hope to come out again soon and try to get some desert and mountain videos- can I fly a drone at South Mountain of r is that off limits, too?

thanks- have a good day- Ed

I'm in Canada.

I picked up my Mini despite having a Mavic 2 because there are many places I can't fly the Mavic, even with an advanced license (and I only have basic) because they're either in a control zone or potentially too close to people.

I'm seriously considering the Mini 3 with the built-in display, because manual panoramas with the Mini are a pain in the posterior, and the WiFi connection has gone glitchy on me around trees.

This would also be the drone to take to Europe, as their regulations are even stricter than our's.

Seriously though ... what's the big deal with sub-250g drones? Mavic Mini 3 Pro comes out and that seems to be the big talking point and advertising point but why?

That said... Are there really that many recreational flyers out there that want these drones simply because they don't have to register them with the FAA?

Are there that many recreational flyers that will spend $1000 just to fly for fun?

I started out by purchasing the M2P in 2019 because I wanted to start a business eventually and I really enjoyed flying it at every opportunity. I added the P4P V2.0 last year because I needed the mechanical shutter. Shortly after that, I purchased the Mini 2 to use as a scout for my first visit to new locations and construction sites.

First of all, IT IS A BLAST TO FLY! While its features aren't as robust as my other drones, I can get it in the air very quickly, and it takes decent pics and very good video. (12MP and 4K) I take pictures and give them to the owners/Project Managers for free, and they always want more. It gives me the opportunity to sell them higher quality output from my other drones. (Inspectors and construction foremen have actually bought Mini 2's after seeing mine at work. Since they are not my competitors, I don't worry about that at all.)

I was initially going to buy the Mini 3 immediately but decided to wait until the end of the year when I retire from my current job. It will be well worth the investment.

Living in the UK, sub 250g allows you to fly close to and over people (not crowds) over vehicles, structures and in built up areas, without having to take a test. All this without even requiring a c-rating at present. Quite a set of amazing freedoms to fly, all in all!

To add more specificity, to the UK/EU sub-250g - I have an A2 Certificate of Competence - this means for drones in the 250g-2kg range I can fly max 50m away from uninvolved persons, this includes buildings due to the potential for a crash into the building and possibility of people being inside that building (i.e. hitting someone through a window). There are added complications to this such as you have to be 50m away both horizontally and vertically and when the distance increases both increase (i.e. 100m horizontal and vertical).

With a sub-250g drone you can theoretically take off pretty much anywhere, overfly people and do most of what you want without restriction - such as fly in the centre of a city as long as it isn't a no-fly-zone. I fly a Mavic 2 Pro but would much prefer the mini for simply this reason.

Nothing to do with licensing in the UK, it's all about flying in built up areas, with my Mavic Air 2 I can't. I can only fly that out in the countryside.

That is correct. The only drone a foreigner could fly in Canada is a sub-250g drone, so the Mini 3 Pro or any of the previous minis are really the only drones a tourist, none resident, or foreign student could fly here. Apparently it is possible to fly a larger drone but you need to apply for a SFOC and the last I read was Transport Canada was not issuing them at this time.

Chris
I think flying in other countries was the reason for the sub 250g quads.

It's the Federal Government, would we expect anything other than convolution? Ie., requiring a 107 pilot to apply for a "daylight" waiver for "nighttime" operations.

When in the context of the Feds, it all makes perfect sense.
For the rest of us that have some part of a brain, the Feds come across like muddy water. Feds can't be accused of having a brain like some of the rest of us.

DSRT VLTR-
When we were out there helping with grandkids in 2016, we explored the countryside quite a bit- anything to get out of Phoenix...
I really enjoyed the Apache Trail, and I think there are some grand places to fly a drone from the road way there. Down toward fish Creek is really nice. I think Butcher Jones rec area out on the lake might be a great place to drone, too- if it's allowed.
As I said, I really hope to come out again soon and try to get some desert and mountain videos- can I fly a drone at South Mountain of r is that off limits, too?

thanks- have a good day- Ed
Yeah, drones are banned at South Mountain Preserve. Not sure why, because it would be an ideal area to pilot a drone. I've flown at Butcher Jones. It's part of Tonto National Forest & they allow drones as long as you follow FAA guidelines & you don't harass wildlife. They have that observation point on top of Fish Creek Hill. It's part of Tonto NF, so I assume it's OK to fly. The Apache Trail is closed just before or right after that observation point, but I think I will head out to the top of Fish Creek Hill see what the driving conditions are.

Never underestimate the Drone Police. They come from many different sources. Things are really getting out of control with regulations. Wyoming is even talking about outlawing drones on State Parks. The last thing we need are more regulations.....
You can't fly in State Parks in Arizona. You can't fly in Regional (County) Parks in Maricopa County, even though they are thousands of acres of desert each with a few picnic tables under roofs called ramadas.

Maybe this is the answer?

Great article, for the UK MOD to blamed for the 250g limit is funny too. Owning both the Mavic air 2 and mini 2 the 250g limit for registration should stay, I wouldn't want either falling on my head but if I had a choice it would be the mini 2. Remember the limit is based on chance for fatality, brain damage isn't even taken into consideration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54