DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's up with Mavic3 and trees ?

Why would they have a Max altitude for RTH?

Why wouldn't it be a Min altitude?

Why would they have a Max altitude for RTH?

Why wouldn't it be a Min altitude?
The Max Altitude setting is to control how high the drone can fly. It's in the "safety" section but not related to the adjacent Auto RTH setting.

You can not disable the Advance RTH at least with the current firmware, however, if the lighting conditions are poor for the vision sensors the drone switch to the old RTH way.

I have a video testing APAS 5 against the trees. It does a good job.

It doesn't do as well of a job when trees have lost their leaves and there are small naked branches. Mine went downward when I wasn't touching the sticks, apparently due to APAS and ended up clipping narrow branches that were beneath the drone. Fortunately, it wasn't very high (4 feet) and was over a soft pile of leaves so no damage was done. I was attempting to navigate into the forested area next to my driveway to test APAS, which may be good otherwise, but even the manual says it won't work for thin branches or powerlines. They really need to solve that problem as otherwise, I wouldn't trust using it.

I'm now paranoid to use the new RTH due to the altitude drop as my driveway where I launch is surrounded by now naked trees (no leaves). I disable landing nearly every landing to make sure it lands correctly as it also doesn't seem to have Precision Landing.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any powerline tests, but it appears to work extremely well with thin branches without any leaves:

In my case, it clipped small branches while descending due to APAS, I wasn't even touching the controls. This was on the first day I had the drone, so I can't trust it in this scenario, direct experience. Drone's fine otherwise, no damage or even a scratch, but APAS still needs work.

Reactions: DJW43
Yesterday, I deployed the RTH in an open field and then, in a tight environment with overhead wires and trees surrounding a bridge.

In the open field, triggering RTH got the drone to descend gradually as it moved back to Home Point.

In the tighter environment, triggering RTH got the drone to return above the Home Point to the RTH altitude set in Safety in the app, and then, descend vertically from there.

I’m going to test this feature again a few times before I completely rely on it. Maybe it was just a fluke. Maybe it was wishful thinking.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is your experience similar to mine? I haven’t read about this anywhere.

One thing I was watching for, and don't know that I saw, was whether or not it will deflect *DOWN*, when faced with an obstacle above.

For example, if it's flying under a canopy of trees trying to get home, and a low-hanging branch appears above it, which it could safely avoid by descending...will it do that?

Thanks for this!

:)

TCS
I hope so. Even the Air2s while tracking is deflecting down (if it does not go below minimum height). I pushed it when I first got it into difficult situations. The Air2s is very good at it. So, no doubt the M3 should be even better.

i am not comfortable using the ARTH at this point,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d