DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's Your Mavic Mini Experience?

I am a new pilot and I have the MM. I believe the image/video quality is really good. It's not 4K, but it is still good. What amazes me more than the image/video quality is the stability. Last Friday I was flying and got hit with really strong winds. I immediately started lowering the drone and brought it back in. The drone was visibly being moved around by the wind. When I went back and reviewed the video, it appeared like there was no wind at all. When on final, you could see the trees moving in the video, but the video was very stable. Here is the video of that landing:

Hoping to fly today

I've gone out around 300 - 400 ft away and had no trouble. I've flown as high as 200 ft. This is only because of the shutdown that I haven't been able to get to a better place to fly.

I am flying around other pilots, so I haven't had any issues with people. I do not fly in my neighborhood because of the concerns a lot of people have with them. Better safe than sorry.

I love every day I fly this bird, and I look forward to the next day I can fly. Today is sunny and no wind. I will be flying around lunchtime, and I cannot wait.

I love my mini. I do not feel restricted because I knew what I was buying. I am building a freestyle drone for a different kind of flying, but I won't part with my MM any time soon.

Fly safe!

I purchased my first drone in 2016, a Phantom 3 Pro. At the price I paid ($1400) I flew very cautiously, unsure of its’ abilities to maneuver. A month ago I purchased the MM and am very pleased with it. The video is good although I’m not a Pro, it is sensitive to high winds (15-20mph) but it is very easy to fly. It has given me the confidence to take risks with the P3P that I would never had done before the Mini. It has some built in auto flight patterns that are very handy to use. It is at a good price point for a beginner.

I had my Mavic Mini for a week and returned it to Best Buy. The drone was great, tons of fun, but I quickly realized that it wouldn't meet my intermediate term needs for what my flying goals were. To comment on a few of your questions:

1. Video quality was really good, especially now with the most recent firmware upgrade there is a lot of functionality for the $$ spent
2. It doesn't do well in high winds, it doesn't have enough mass. I own a sailboat and would not trust it out over the water in changing conditions. For its size it is really good but just doesn't have the chops to handle higher winds, especially if you are in areas (hiking, launching on a mountainside, etc., where winds are variable)
3. In town (hi wifi density), I was experiencing significant wifi interference at about 800 feet away even in an empty field. Video feedback to the controller was also spotty at that point. I didn't trust it to fly more than 1/4 mile away without getting concerned.
4. I ended up with the M2 Pro. More money but I can trust it in the conditions I fly in.
5. I did, that's why I returned it
6. People didn't mind it, it is so small most people thought it was cool

Anyway, these were just my conclusions based on my needs. I'm not hating on the drone by any means. Hope some of that is useful, and good luck with your decision! :)
I largely agree with Marv here. The mini is too sensitive to wind and WIFI interference where it may be used most. It should either get Occusync for flights in cities or get bigger motors to resist winds in the wilderness (remote seasides or hillsides). It can take good videos well but it's not built to fly in either scenarios mentioned.

I love the little mini for being my first real drone but I quickly found I outgrew it. Looking to upgrade to an M2Z by end of the year.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54