DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's Your Mavic Mini Experience?

AYY_LMAO

Reactions
Hi all,

There's several excellent DJI models available currently for anyone looking to get into the hobby or upgrade their existing drones. It would provide lots of great info to hear from those who currently own the Mavic Mini if they'd be willing to share their experience with it :) Realizing that is a broad question, a few more specific points that can be addressed are:

• How is the image/video quality, and what do you use the media for?
  • How fast of winds do you start to notice the drone have difficulties flying in? What percentage of the time are you unable to fly due to the winds when you'd like to otherwise do so?
  • What is the range you've gotten? Particularly in dense urban areas vs rural settings
  • How did you decide upon the mini as opposed to the Air or Pro?
  • Do you feel significantly limited and look to upgrade your drone to a different model?
  • How do people around you react when you're up flying?
Any input would be much appreciated, it would help those in our community, including myself, make more informed choices regarding new purchases!

I owned the M2P and purchased the Mini as a smaller fun toy drone. also due to the size it is much more portable and easy to take with when i dont want to bring the M2P. IE hiking or just to friends to let them try and fly. the Images are very good and comparable to the P3 and MP1, i dont do much video but when i do its still very good quality for the size of the drone. I mean for a nice beginner drone it is def top notch. I also only fly hobby so im not all to concerned with selling or any other uses of my images others than my personal viewing

the MM is a very good starter drone,to get someone into the hobby,for a reasonable price
it is very good for close up flying and if people took the time to read the manual before they fly, then most of the issues that crop up could be avoided
it should not be compared to its bigger brothers in the Mavic stable,but if compared to most of the competition in its price point it out performs most of them,in many areas
my experience with mine has been very positive and it compliments my MPP perfectly, i have not had the prop issues where it lost lift ,i did have the front prop strike issues, but i resolved that with a front arm stiffening mod and it has not happened again
it is very difficult to recommend ,or rubbish a particular drone,as many many people have no problems,and pilot error is the main contributor,in most of the crashes and blowaways

I’ve had several other toy grade drones. Bought a SG906 Beast Pro. Wasn’t bad for the money. Wanted more range and availability of parts. Didn’t want to spend a arm and a leg either. I’ve got a bunch of other hobbies that eat up $$. Some a bit spendy. The Mini fit the bill. For the money it can’t be beat. Of course the more you spend the more you get. But for $500 or $400 I have a blast and the wife wasn’t pissed. If it was more motorcycle stuff she wouldn’t have been pleased. The mini she completely loves. Fights more for fly time.

Only negatives for me with my mini over my pro are range and wind performance. Video quality and for what I need it for the mini does 90% of what my pro can do

Haven't had any issues with my MM, been flying it over a month. For the price, you can't go wrong but depends on your budget and what you want it for! Just don't buy a mini and then wonder why it can't do the things it's bigger more expensive brothers can!

DA29966B-C401-4744-9FA8-957EB8D28E16.pngFor me as a hobbiest, it’s been perfect. Photos and video are good for my use and the price got me into the sport without a super huge investment. If I had to drop $1500-2000, I would not be flying. As it is, I’ve had many hours of pleasure without incident. The only real limitation is the wind. I’d fly more if it wasn’t so wind sensitive. As is, if it’s over 20mph at 200’, I don’t fly.

4 months without any issue, now I get prop strike on the AC body! Waiting for confirmation that DJI have put a proper fix in place before I return it under warranty. Other than that it’s been great and flown in some harsh winter conditions.

The quality of the pictures and video is good enough for me.Instagram.
Winds are not a problem for me:).
I fly in the countryside, visibility to the mini.no long distances or altitudes.
Price, easy to use, portability.
No, a mini is enough for me.
People often react positively:).

4 months without any issue, now I get prop strike on the AC body! Waiting for confirmation that DJI have put a proper fix in place before I return it under warranty. Other than that it’s been great and flown in some harsh winter conditions.
Did you try changing the props?

Haven't had any issues with my MM, been flying it over a month. For the price, you can't go wrong but depends on your budget and what you want it for! Just don't buy a mini and then wonder why it can't do the things it's bigger more expensive brothers can!

Like fly out 2k and come back safely [emoji23]

• Haha
Reactions: Skyfli and Lurch003
i stiffened the front arms om my MM and posted pics and have had no prop strikes since

Reactions: Dbez1 and TDZHDTV
Hi all,

There's several excellent DJI models available currently for anyone looking to get into the hobby or upgrade their existing drones. It would provide lots of great info to hear from those who currently own the Mavic Mini if they'd be willing to share their experience with it :) Realizing that is a broad question, a few more specific points that can be addressed are:

• How is the image/video quality, and what do you use the media for?
  • How fast of winds do you start to notice the drone have difficulties flying in? What percentage of the time are you unable to fly due to the winds when you'd like to otherwise do so?
  • What is the range you've gotten? Particularly in dense urban areas vs rural settings
  • How did you decide upon the mini as opposed to the Air or Pro?
  • Do you feel significantly limited and look to upgrade your drone to a different model?
  • How do people around you react when you're up flying?
Any input would be much appreciated, it would help those in our community, including myself, make more informed choices regarding new purchases!

I had my Mavic Mini for a week and returned it to Best Buy. The drone was great, tons of fun, but I quickly realized that it wouldn't meet my intermediate term needs for what my flying goals were. To comment on a few of your questions:

1. Video quality was really good, especially now with the most recent firmware upgrade there is a lot of functionality for the $$ spent
2. It doesn't do well in high winds, it doesn't have enough mass. I own a sailboat and would not trust it out over the water in changing conditions. For its size it is really good but just doesn't have the chops to handle higher winds, especially if you are in areas (hiking, launching on a mountainside, etc., where winds are variable)
3. In town (hi wifi density), I was experiencing significant wifi interference at about 800 feet away even in an empty field. Video feedback to the controller was also spotty at that point. I didn't trust it to fly more than 1/4 mile away without getting concerned.
4. I ended up with the M2 Pro. More money but I can trust it in the conditions I fly in.
5. I did, that's why I returned it
6. People didn't mind it, it is so small most people thought it was cool

Anyway, these were just my conclusions based on my needs. I'm not hating on the drone by any means. Hope some of that is useful, and good luck with your decision! :)

Reactions: AYY_LMAO
Like fly out 2k and come back safely [emoji23]

Ha ha, THAT and moaning about not having 4k, active tracking etc ! I just wouldn't want to send it 2k away- went over a golf course at the weekend and lost sight around 60m- then lost my bearings because looking down on greens and bunkers, I didn't have a clue where I was! Watching the log back is funny as you can see me keep stopping and turning trying to see us in the stream !

• Haha
Reactions: Skyfli
It's the best real drone to see if you like hobby
I've flow mine over 100 time and over 100 miles.
The video quality is stelar along with the photos for what it is
I've flow over 2 miles out in perfect conditions
I'm not flying in urban areas.
It handles winds ap to 20 mph, but better be going against the wind out bound and returning with the wind!!!
Don't fly low over neighbors!
I film for personal use and some social media
I want a Mavic 2 when $ become available.

In South Africa, where I live, the Mavic Mini fly more combo cost 9000 earning units (in our case rands) and this, for someone like me who's pretty much skint is a huge bundle of cash. I would have dearly loved to buy something more premium, but the mini allowed me to indulge in a hobby that I've wanted to take part in for years.
I have no intention of posting anything on you tube or any other social media. Whatever I shoot is for me to enjoy, and, in any event, I doubt that my computer or computer skills could handle 4k etc.
For the price, and if you understood the limitations before purchasing, I believe that the mini is a magic tool for allowing you to indulge.
I get quite adequate range and performance and more than adequate photographs and footage for my needs.
Research it, study the manual, buy it, fly it, (carefully at first,) love it.
Cheers from KZN in South Africa

In South Africa, where I live, the Mavic Mini fly more combo cost 9000 earning units (in our case rands) and this, for someone like me who's pretty much skint is a huge bundle of cash. I would have dearly loved to buy something more premium, but the mini allowed me to indulge in a hobby that I've wanted to take part in for years.
I have no intention of posting anything on you tube or any other social media. Whatever I shoot is for me to enjoy, and, in any event, I doubt that my computer or computer skills could handle 4k etc.
For the price, and if you understood the limitations before purchasing, I believe that the mini is a magic tool for allowing you to indulge.
I get quite adequate range and performance and more than adequate photographs and footage for my needs.
Research it, study the manual, buy it, fly it, (carefully at first,) love it.
Cheers from KZN in South Africa
Well written KZN and best wishes! Don’t forget to share some photographs with us.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe