DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When does the nervousness wear off

Yup lol i'll be fine quite some time I'm very good at it and I still laugh when I land go holy crap I did it again never lost one even flew stupid one night without satellite and it came back don't worry do your pre-check it'll always come back always make sure you have your's return to home hike proper to

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Insurance = no fear. I could not care less if it flies away. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone I do not care. I will simply call my insurance company and buy another one. I would rather spend my time enjoying the flights than sitting there biting my fingernails wondering. Why have it in the first place if you're too nervous to enjoy it. It would be better on your nerves to sell it and buy something that doesn't stress you. Life is too short to worry about a luxury item that is easily replaceable.

Random conversation today with a guy at work (customer) about flying drones. At which point he proceeds to tell me flying drones is illegal....Um no it's not I say. Yes it's he replies I am a cop. It stunned me a bit then I bounced back with "you may be a cop but your uneducated!" Snap! I waffled off the rules regarding flight of drones to his astonished face and told to get his facts straight. Mavic pilot 1 cop 0

When I fly over water I am a little relieved that there is nothing that I can hit... except for birds!
A good checklist ritual helps. Hover, try a few things out, check camera functionality, etc.
Nothing like being out and getting the black and white screen... "Unfortunately DJI GO4 has stopped"
The solid red and green flashing lights are great. If you can see it (of course we can! haha), get it in Sport Mode and give it right stick either right or left and see what it does. Not doing the right thing or cant't tell? give it a little rudder (yaw) and see if right stick right makes it go right or left. When you can see it's pointed toward you, hammer it home!
The red lights make it easy to see in the period of up to 1/2 hour after sunset or 1/2 hour before sunrise.

I will be flying off a boat this summer. Very nervous. Lots of stuff to hit at the last minute.

vsk

I am new to flying and new to DJI. I had a Phantom 3 Standard for a month and decided to upgrade. Went with the Mavik. While using the Phantom 3, I used the DJI Go app. You are now the second individual I have read that uses the DJO Go 4 app. I was under the thought that app was strictly for the Phantom 4. Am I incorrect?

I really only have 4 flights on my new Mavic, But every time I put it in the air I am too worried to send it off more than a few hundred feet from me. From the post on here about losing GPS to the wind warnings on the app. When does that feeling go away and the sense of fun come in and just let it fly?

Just think about it mate. The worst thing about is that you lose the drone.
Well, you save and buy a new one. If something is going to happen to the craft it can happen at 10 meters away from you or 300 or more.
So yea, be careful fly within LOS and do some crazy stuff, avoid obstacles and dont do the "Orbit of death" maneuver.

Otherwise it will be fine. Its like swimming, it doesnt matter if you are swimming in a 1 meter pool or 1000 meter depth pool. Swimming is the same and yeah if you do something stupid you can drown in either pool.

Take it easy, fly around and feel in control.
Take baby steps, practice, the joy is in the journey not in the destination.

I'm scared every flight, even when I'm not flying I ask my self should I fly? "Scared it may crash or be defective" so for me that nervousness is always there. However, I only had my mavic about two weeks! So it's still so new I hope this feeling goes away

Dont be scared buddy.

If it crashes, well so be it. If it malfunctions, well, such is life. Remember you have to worry only on things you can control. Dont worry on the things you cant.
Fly as comfortable as you want. My first week or so, I went to a park and was just hovering, doing some flight patters, square, circle, straigh flight, ascent descent, turn it around do it again.

Dont worry it will be fine buddy.

Reactions: Jaysjob
Day two with my Mavic. 4 flights in now. Over lunch today I had every intention to go home and try a longer distance test flying over by house over a preserve and maybe a bit further towards the beach. As soon as I saw the mavic as a dot in the sky I already felt that clampy feeling. I kept going trying to be brave and I was not even a qtr mile out. I was at altititude of 120 feet pushing it further and yet it seemed likle it was moving slowly at full throutle. Then all of a sudden I get the message that it switched to ATTI . OMG I just lost GPS! Great!! Not sure if related but I looked dowmn and realize my controller antenas were not folded out. HA! Ok I unfolded them but already felt nervious about the loss of GPS so turned bird back. GPS signal came back but the ride home seemed forever. As soon as I heard the familiar buzzing sound I felt at ease. Guess I will save the long distence test flight for another day. Max distance so far 806ft. lol.

We all love that buzzing isnt it?? :)

Reactions: sportfisher23
my first Mavic went bezerk on its maiden flight...it's definitely bruised my confidence.

I get nervous just thinking about it and reading this thread!!

Now I'm trying to find a non-rainy day to get some more flight time before I take it traveling abroad.

I am new to flying and new to DJI. I had a Phantom 3 Standard for a month and decided to upgrade. Went with the Mavik. While using the Phantom 3, I used the DJI Go app. You are now the second individual I have read that uses the DJO Go 4 app. I was under the thought that app was strictly for the Phantom 4. Am I incorrect?

DJI GO4 is also for the Mavic, there's a dropdown box.

vsk

Flight 36 I had absolutely no nervousness. I would even say that I am calm and having fun with nothing but fun on my mind. It's been that way for the last 10 flights.

Flight 37 involved a new location. This time I have 3 people asking me loads of questions during pre flight. I take off and as soon as the Mavic is 150ft up and moved away a bit they have me in a face sandwich! I am literally competing to see my own screen! My Nervousness comes back, it feels like the first flight. They are talking next to me about not crashing and how close that tree is etc etc. I end up going up to 300ft for my own safety because my fingers are shaking. I fly around, they oh and ahh over seeing stuff and then I bring her straight overhead and descend to land.

Moral of the story is that even when you think it's over circumstances can rehash the old nervous feeling.

Rob

Reactions: cheekymonkeyman
Well I still get a thrill at a new location, particularly if it's potentially quite challenging and over water. I love it!

Reactions: Jaysjob
I'm grounded. Too many Firmware Update Issues, I'm afraid to fly my Mavic. Do I ignore the latest firmware update, or is there an actual hardware problem that this new FW exposes. I don't want to RMA my new toy, but I don't want it to fail during flight. I live in SoCal and am surrounded by possible problems if the Unknown issues occur. I would love to be like some and go to the beach, take off over the ocean, fly around the endless video-ops available to me, but I'm scared. Only so much you can do in an official flying field.

I'm grounded. Too many Firmware Update Issues, I'm afraid to fly my Mavic. Do I ignore the latest firmware update, or is there an actual hardware problem that this new FW exposes. I don't want to RMA my new toy, but I don't want it to fail during flight. I live in SoCal and am surrounded by possible problems if the Unknown issues occur. I would love to be like some and go to the beach, take off over the ocean, fly around the endless video-ops available to me, but I'm scared. Only so much you can do in an official flying field.

You really shouldn't be[emoji6]

Reactions: J-Dub
I've had my Mavic for two or so weeks so far with a dozen flights and three crashes :( my first was in my back yard playing with the low battery RTH function hovering right in front of me at 6 feet, the second it did went into RTH mode and took to 30ft my heart sank as I was standing under not one but three trees, my Mavic seemed to hit every branch on each of the trees my wife sat on the back porch with our granddaughter and watched as the blood drained from my face, my granddaughter said papa you broke it :confused:
It came to rest in my neighbors back yard after it hit his shead and my fence, when I retrieved it, I had three broken blades and the protective dome over the camera was missing, I found the dome almost where the bird came to rest.
When I came back in the yard the wife tells me there is a warning on the screen motor obstruction sure enough one of the motors wouldn't move :mad: when I took the broken blade off I noticed two of the tabs that hold the blades on had broken off and jammed in the motor.
I carefully removed the tabs to free up the motor now I felt a little better, I put new blades a new battery and headed out the door, the wife asked why I was going fly it again?
Fired it up did some hoovering spinns, side to side, forward & back movements landed it took it the house and poured myself a drink.:p
My other two crashes! Well flying in my living isn't a good idea it's to fast even in tripod mode.o_O
Long and short I get nervous but I still fly daily I get more brave with each one.
Happy flying Sorry for the long write up..

I know I would be less concerned if the Mavic was made by Traxxis and all the parts were readily available and I could fix it myself. I don't like the idea that DJI basically has us by the gonads regarding repairs.

From what I've seen drone pilots tend to be on the geeky side and quite capable of doing repairs themselves...if parts were available.

I really only have 4 flights on my new Mavic, But every time I put it in the air I am too worried to send it off more than a few hundred feet from me. From the post on here about losing GPS to the wind warnings on the app. When does that feeling go away and the sense of fun come in and just let it fly?

I've flown enough now (over 50 flights) that I've been focusing more on photography and so the nerves over losing it have gone away. But what really makes one more confident is avoiding problems. To do so, make strong habits.
  • Strong "day before" checklists (remove and inspect props, springs, motor head etc. and so on).
  • I always set up things in the same order before flight.
  • Never, ever start the motors w/o a valid GPS acquisition.
  • I've taken to using a piece of plywood (below) as a landing pad. Avoids debris and makes one work a little harder to land accurately.
  • I almost always fly to 10m above the home point to make sure I have a good RTH video landing spot - new landing pad provides the drone with a nice target.
Given some accident descriptions I'll be turning off the vision positioning system when flying over water going forward.

[1] Landing Pad ( ~60 x 60 cm). Should point at mag north.
LandPad.png

It never really wears off completely, you just get accustomed to pushing the boundaries more and more on each flight. So what used to give you a heart attack is no big deal anymore after a while.

170+ flights, and 260,000+ meters later and seriously enjoying my Mavic. Guys dont worry, just start close to you be careful and if you dont the area be extra careful !!!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Perspectivesailor15
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet