DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When does the nervousness wear off

lol I find this thread so awesome because I feel the same way too. I've had my Mavic for a week and the furthest I've flown out is 1500 feet. I want to fly it over water so I took it to a park near where I use to live that has a body of water that's about 100 yards. I get nervous myself when I see it disappearing. I feel like my confidence is increasing with each flight.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It's funny though, as I also fly racing quads too and never get nervous flying them, even though they are inherently more dangerous than a Mavic or Phantom. I think it must be the technology and what it allows you to do - you have to trust it completely.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: mavic air
I really only have 4 flights on my new Mavic, But every time I put it in the air I am too worried to send it off more than a few hundred feet from me. From the post on here about losing GPS to the wind warnings on the app. When does that feeling go away and the sense of fun come in and just let it fly?

For whatever it's worth, I was kind of bothered by this effect for a while.

My first Phantom was about three years ago, and for a long time, I was surprised at how really nervous I was flying it. I had no previous RC anything experience. I figured I'd get over it, but just didn't. My girlfriend (yoga girl) actually suggested a few relaxation techniques and other things to try.

The first thing I focused on was deep and relaxed breathing and monitoring my heart rate (first with some fitness band, and now with an Apple Watch) until I figured out how to just start out relaxed... this really, helped and continues to. A few other things she suggested and that I follow:

1) Don't consume any caffeine if you can avoid it for at least 2-4 hours prior, 2) don't fly when you're tired, 3) don't fly when you're already agitated or upset about something, 4) don't drink or get high (not that I ever would) before you fly--at least not MUCH, 5) if you end up hiking to a spot and your cardio is higher than usual--do the relaxation thing first.

I'm scared every flight, even when I'm not flying I ask my self should I fly? "Scared it may crash or be defective" so for me that nervousness is always there. However, I only had my mavic about two weeks! So it's still so new I hope this feeling goes away
Been flying drones three years now, and sorry to say I still feel that way. But then, I've had some actual in flight malfunctions, out of the blue, so it's in the back of my mind, always. Still enjoy it though!

I used to be very nervous with my first drone - a DJI Flamewheel F450 (4 years ago), but the newer drones are so much better in comparison that it feels relatively safe and relaxing in comparison when you have a drone like the Mavic that you can actually trust rather than one which only works 50% of the time! Still having said that I always fly very cautiously and the nerves are there - just not at the same levels as with a primitive home built machine!

Reactions: Nikon1 and d2fino
With complacency comes failure. Show me any (real) pilot with an "it'll be fine" attitude?
That moment when you swipe to take off.... That and the fact you have to have your camera settings all sorted out etc (love how it resets to unusable 1080p 48fps whenever you twiddle stuff)... As soon as it's in the air and behaving, it's all good.

am I the only one having issues getting hang of flying strictly FPV by just using iPhone screen (granted its only a iphone7 which isnt that big)?

It's so much easier with a tablet, highly recommend getting one for this and any other drone

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'll tell you. I have flown fixed wing RC since the early 90s. Also race RC cars since before that. I have 12 airplanes in my hangar. With the controls on the fixed wing being understandably different...It takes a bit to get the hang of the controls. But I have, according to my log...21 short flights as of now...Still get nervous. Mostly because of some of the horror stories of flyaways and others. I am taking the line of sight thing very literal right now as I await a larger screen. I just can see my phone well enough to go too far. But man, I love this thing.

As others have said having it insured with State Farm takes away a lot of the anxiety.

I love this thread as I'm a newbie as well.. I'm still in beginner mode with about 34 flights.. It takes me sometime to calm down, in fact I get a tad panic mode if I can't see it in the sky. Still can't see flying over a mile w/o having a heart attack.. lol

Reactions: Nikon1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7