DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When does the nervousness wear off

Im also just now growing balls. On my first 2 flights i kept it in visual sight. When i took it out to farm country today i decided i would fly out until i lost a single bar of reception for my first distance flight. I made it to the river about 3/4 mile away and still never lost a bar so i turned around. This thing is just stupid. Just a Silly insane piece of tech gadget badassery . Im so satisfied with this purchase i can not put it in words.

This is the beginning of a serious drone addiction no doubt. I been buying toy grade quads like syma x8 which is like an uber cheap phantom replica but so fun to practice on. That an airhawk a10c thunderbolt quad, got both for 100$ total on amazon. Both do 300ft+ and 15m+ flight times with +batts. I recommend gettn lots n lots toy quad practice in the same controller mode as ur mavic. It creates muscle memory so u dont have to think about every move u make so much... will make u a great pilot faster. Ive got like an hour a day or more practice lately and its made world of difference for me.

Have been flying for several years, starting with a Parrot (awful thing) then DJI - had the 2 Vision Plus first. Then P4, now the Mavic as well. I STILL get nervous - even though I've had very few issues and, luckily, no crashes. I did begin losing video signal a few weeks ago but reinstalled Go4 and refreshed the firmware - problem gone. I have taken it out 1,200 metres, still full signal and no problems, but I'm still pleased to bring it back. I often check the RTH function, just to confirm it works correctly. Switch off the RC and confirm RTH kicks in. Or simply press the button. Never failed, which gives me more confidence.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: stresspro
'zackly same here. Even though, I have the insurance and know that I will get full replacement should I lose it, I still get a little nervous and haven't gotten really bold yet.

I had my Mavic in air 2 times before I had to send it in bacuse of a camera issue. My only fear is about a replacement which will take weeks and month ;)

Reactions: Wacker2611
I have well over two years experience over 4280km 290 flights never once crashed still nervous sending this new mavic 3 miles over water taking cruise shots.

Reactions: Cutaway
First flight ever today! I shared the moment with my wife! We didn't pass over my house fence lol! Just 80 ft altitude. But I'm at 1.33 miles from an airport.

Reactions: Cutaway
U should never fly within 5 miles of an airport bro but to each their own jussayn

Since that is his residence if he notifies the airport control tower and they come to a mutual agreement shouldn'
t he be okay?

Reactions: stresspro
Hi ,
I know what you mean, here is some points you should consider and try....
don't try in wind conditions at first.
Try the sport mode as soon as possible.
" the problem is when you loose the GPS position, i hope you never do, you feel that you loose the control!!
When In GPS "lost" mode the drone drift with the wind and "go home" option does not work and you have a bad day:)
Getting it back in sports mode, is fast and you can take a lot of wind !!
When you have no GPS you are depending only at what you can see and you want only to focus on getting it back to you, or land !!

Good point so what happens when you loose gps and you happen to be out of visual sight? I notice on a few of my close range flights it switched to ATTI here and there for a few seconds but what if those seconds turned to min. One thing I notice still being new to this using the camera at 120ft in air to navigate home is still a tricky thing. Outdoors in sunlight the iPhone 7 screen is not much of help.
I've been using litchi vr mode but I noticed on some flights the image would lock up and you are not sure if you stopped moving or is it just the video feed. Anyone else seen this? Make using litchi a bit scary too.

Good point so what happens when you loose gps and you happen to be out of visual sight? I notice on a few of my close range flights it switched to ATTI here and there for a few seconds but what if those seconds turned to min. One thing I notice still being new to this using the camera at 120ft in air to navigate home is still a tricky thing. Outdoors in sunlight the iPhone 7 screen is not much of help.
I've been using litchi vr mode but I noticed on some flights the image would lock up and you are not sure if you stopped moving or is it just the video feed. Anyone else seen this? Make using litchi a bit scary too.
Well said I have many times I have lost GPS or even worst three miles out had a compass error never push that RTH switch to ATTI mode fly it back manual.
I see too many people panic and hit RTH and blame it on a flyaway.

HOME POINT LOCK. I'm a rookie with the Mavic, but I use Home Lock, so when it's way out there I know I can just pull back on the pitch stick to get her coming home. This requires GPS locks, so I'm still at GPS-MERCY, but it helps me relax a bit. GIVE ME GOGGLES, no problemo :cool:

Reactions: Jaysjob
Does that work with sport mode? Get that baby back quicker. Nothing like hearing your bird over you after loosing sight and sound.

I love this thread as I'm a newbie as well.. I'm still in beginner mode with about 34 flights.. It takes me sometime to calm down, in fact I get a tad panic mode if I can't see it in the sky. Still can't see flying over a mile w/o having a heart attack.. lol
Flew mine out to +12,000' from my location on a windy day. It was a kick to have it more than 2 miles out but I have to admit I was a bit nervous bring it back against the wind with 50% battery and in sport mode... It was doing about 20mph the whole way back at full stick. Stuff like that will make me nervous but when I get it back it really builds confidence in the little bird. Note though that it's not all the equipment. You have to think things through. Had I waited until my battery was at 40% and tried to come back.. no way.

Reactions: v8juice
My advice is to venture a little further each time and fly higher. The more you fly the more you gain confidence. As long as you make sure you have full GPS and it tells you it's recorded it's take off point, have confidence that the RTH button will bring it home. Also make sure you're Return height is above any obstacle and Mavic will do the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Atomicbear
When I fly over water I am a little relieved that there is nothing that I can hit... except for birds!
A good checklist ritual helps. Hover, try a few things out, check camera functionality, etc.
Nothing like being out and getting the black and white screen... "Unfortunately DJI GO4 has stopped"
The solid red and green flashing lights are great. If you can see it (of course we can! haha), get it in Sport Mode and give it right stick either right or left and see what it does. Not doing the right thing or cant't tell? give it a little rudder (yaw) and see if right stick right makes it go right or left. When you can see it's pointed toward you, hammer it home!
The red lights make it easy to see in the period of up to 1/2 hour after sunset or 1/2 hour before sunrise.

I will be flying off a boat this summer. Very nervous. Lots of stuff to hit at the last minute.

vsk

I've never managed to shed the fear of losing your bird. All the horror stories on the net are usually cos the pilot is a ****. Follow the check list, be sensible and you'll have no issues. Go fly and enjoy!

I've had mine about a month now.
Every time I fly it I expect someone to show up and yell at me. That's my nervousness... I'm confident in the Mavic, I'm cognizent of the flight rules, and I have mostly flown in wide open terrain away from people.
Still...every time I am done flying, when I land it my hands are shaking with nerves from excitement and fear. Then I pack up quickly and walk away feeling like I just got away with something.

does anybody still get THAT nervousness? :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev