DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When is it time to change damaged propellers if they still fly OK

I have the same question. How did they get damaged? If it was from an accident, yes change them. If it was from handling, then yes change them, but also try to be nicer to your drone.
I am no sure how they got so damaged. I was filming some ancient burial niches dug in the rocks (I will post the video soon), while standing above them and tried to get a low angle shots, so possible i have struck some high branches from the trees below, but nothing can be seen on the video if there was some sideways impact. I noticed the damage after this flight, so it is only a theory. I didn' t have direct visibility at all times on the drone during this flight.

Reactions: Camino Ken
We always have a full replacement set (all 4 sets) in the go-case and usually another pair in the office. They are so cheap and quick to replace the first signs of wear (or damage) they come off for new. Usually it's only one set needing replaced but there was this one time (not at band camp) where I lost concentration and flew into a porch post and destroyed all (4) in one incident.
Regarding the price of props they are 30$ for 4 pcs. in Bulgaria,

When in doubt, change them out! Any wear, nicks or cracks are certainly a warning to replace. That one little nick or crack can lead to catastrophic prop failure mid flight. You risk your aircraft not to mention taking a risk at possibly causing harm to people or damage to property.
This right here I can vouch for. I had some props on my zoom that were a little beat up but didn't look too bad visually so I kept flying with them. Bad move. During a flight something happened and my drone was dropping from the sky spinning in circles. It was hard to tell what exactly happened in the air due to how damaged it was from the crash. When I picked it up one propeller was sheered off right where it was damaged and the other was bent up at a right angle. Last time I ever risked using bad props.

Ah, they are fine.
The MA2 can even fly with half the length of the propellers.
I've seen a video, where an asian women clipped off half the lenght of the propellers and the MA2 still flew.
Yes I posted here a vid on MA2 endrance test....what you have is not even a flesh wound but a mere paper cut

I just cracked one of mine on landing. (Ten minutes ago) Accidentally pushed the stick to the left yaw while descending next to my patio screen door. Well, the screen door has black marks, and the drone has a chipped blade.

I already changed both on that side.
No reward, no risk.

I slightly just brushed against a fence with my forward props. Visually I could only see a slight bit of missing color and when feeling them, they felt fine. But we never know, maybe some stress was placed in the area around the mounting location above the motor? Not worth the risk to me so in the trash they went.

In changing my blades, I found one that was out of balance!

Caused jello with sport mode flying hard turns and such.

I looked at them all very hard and saw one where the center hole was slightly off center. Swapped it, no more jello.

When in doubt, swap em out!

This right here I can vouch for. I had some props on my zoom that were a little beat up but didn't look too bad visually so I kept flying with them. Bad move. During a flight something happened and my drone was dropping from the sky spinning in circles. It was hard to tell what exactly happened in the air due to how damaged it was from the crash. When I picked it up one propeller was sheered off right where it was damaged and the other was bent up at a right angle. Last time I ever risked using bad props.
I was wondering if something like that could happen...that is a dam good reason to always switch them out if any physical damage is visible.
They're cheap to replace but a scenario like that could mean the not so cheap cost of the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661