DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When you're deciding whether it's good enough weather to fly or not, do you look at wind speed or gust speed?

shadow3467

Reactions
For example, average wind speed today is 4-5m/s, but gust speed is 10-12m/s

Would you go flying in this weather? (assuming mini drone)

I usually let my eyes be the final judge, not a number.

I've proven that the Mini 2 can take a lot of wind, though. More than I normally would consider flying in. It might fly at a significant angle, though, and require some straightening in post. And flight time will be reduced.

So, this was answered in your previous thread.

Reactions: Torque
For example, average wind speed today is 4-5m/s, but gust speed is 10-12m/s

Would you go flying in this weather? (assuming mini drone)

You're the PIC, (Pilot In Command) of you're aircraft.

You make the call.

I've flown in windy conditions with my Spark and MA2.

Each one has it's limitations when flying in such conditions and I determine whether or not to fly.

If I do decide to fly in conditions that may be questionable, I check my Windy.com app to see which way it may go with the wind in case it doesn't come home ( Atti-mode, battery life,etc).

It shows the wind direction as a flow of arrows on a map.

I use it in addition to the UAV app.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: Torque
As I posted the link in the other thread to Ventusky (website free or the mobile / cell app for small $), this has just about any weather phenomenon you could wish for.

Wind speed 10m, 100m, 250m and more AGL, current time . . . also forecast out to days in advanced forecasts using the time bar and date selection down the bottom left.
Can get gusts, precipitation, waves, all useful for some flights.

I use this before trips, and don't worry UAV Forecast . . . best done on site by eye or keeping watch of attitude when going to 400' . . . as I normally fly reasonably low, I usually just rely of 'feel' and local trees etc to get site based risk analysis.

Kind of but more specifically I'm asking which is more important, wind speed or gust speed?
It makes no difference to your drone what you call the wind it has to deal with, whether that is wind or gust.
It's all the same to the drone.

And forecast apps are just forecasts.
There are many reasons that the actual wind you experience where you fly can be quite different from what apps might indicate.

It makes no difference to your drone what you call the wind it has to deal with, whether that is wind or gust.
It's all the same to the drone.

And forecast apps are just forecasts.
There are many reasons that the actual wind you experience where you fly can be quite different from what apps might indicate.
From my understanding, gusts are not constant wind but more just bursts of wind. 12m/s gusts would be VERY different to 12m/s consistent winds...

From my understanding, gusts are not constant wind but more just bursts of wind. 12m/s gusts would be VERY different to 12m/s consistent winds...
That makes no difference to what I wrote.
If your drone is being blown away by air that's moving faster than your drone can fly, or fast enough to prevent the drone from getting home before the battery runs out, it makes no difference whether that moving air is a steady wind or a gust.

How to predict consistency of gusts ?

If very sparse, you could fly in your suggested scenario above . . . sure your photos or footage would have to be gathered between gusts if they cause noticeable movement.
The drone might be blown downwind momentarily, but easily gain control and ability again between gusts.

Still risky, so up to the pilot to assess how urgently they wish to fly in such conditons.

Gusts make a huge Difference when flying the Wind. There normally much stronger and if you get 3 or 4 Gusts in a row your drone can move pretty fast in that direction as I show in another post. Gusts are in fact what is really dangerous in flying in the wind / Storms .

I have posted many videos on this as we fly in very Extreme Weather as often as weather permits. .

We also make split minute decisions based on how far the drone Drifts when taking off from the Hover Spot anything past
6 Ft is sketchy for most flights , 4 ft on the mini because if you encounter a Gust , it can become much greater.

Flying in extreme winds takes practice , the more you do it the more confidence you gain.

Here is quick hover test with the min 2 : 15 mph gusts with 2 Ft Drift from hover point , 30 mph looking at 4 to 6 ft drift, Base line are good to know when attempting to fly in the Wind or take off in the wind as my may need shelter to get up safely.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain ,< Land on the Water and Negotiate Gusts.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine