DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are the best tutorials/videos for Mavic 2 Pro?

polkadots2

Reactions
I just bought the Mavic 2 Pro and had it set up and ready to fly. However, I am not confident enough to take it out to fly.

I hope to find some good tutorials to help me out. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reactions: 77ricco
The ones I initially found were not DJI. Now official tutorials surface when I included "DJI" in front of the search string,. Thanks.

The Mavic 2 Pro is an awesome device, it is more fun than a barrel of monkeys to use an old saying.

First suggestion is to read the User Manual. It will be overwhelming but you need to understand it, especially the Return to Home (RTH) settings. Then take some paper and read through the manual again and make note and page number on topics you do not understand or remember so you can go back to them.

Before you fly, update the firmware on the Remote Control (RC), (Drone / Aircraft (AC) and (batteries if needed).
DJI Assistant 2 can be downloaded from the Mavic 2 Downloads page. You can use DJI GO 4 (get it from the Play store - Android OR App Store - IOS) .

DJI GO 4 has a Flight Simulator, it is an excellent way to get some stick time and see how things work.

Get an app called "UAV Forecast", wind at ground level may be OK but may be too high at higher elevations. Until you gt comfortable with flying, this needs to be your bible on flying conditions.

You may need to calibrate the compass, the procedure in the User Manual is incorrect, find the correct procedure in a Youtube video.

Go to Youtube and put "Mavic 2 Pro" in the search line, it will give you broad topic categories, select one or press enter and it will bring up very long list of video's.

Provided with the aircraft are three short cables designed to go from the side charging port on the RC and connect to the cell phone used as the display. If you use an Android you know from having read the User Manual that the RC will try to charge an Android.
A better option is to go from the bottom USB (type A) to the display device (phone or tablet, Android or IOS).
The side charging port on the RC is a USB micro connector even though it is square. The User Manual told and showed you the proper way to insert the charging cable'

When you are ready to fly, find a wide open area like a soccer field or similar. Metal or electrical lines will cause compass error and could cause your AC to loose orientation and control.

You know from having read the User Manual that the AC is in beginner mode where the distance and elevation are limited.

Last edited:
The Mavic 2 Pro is an awesome device, it is more fun than a barrel of monkeys to use an old saying.

First suggestion is to read the User Manual. It will be overwhelming but you need to understand it, especially the Return to Home (RTH) settings. Then take some paper and read through the manual again and make note and page number on topics you do not understand or remember so you can go back to them.

Before you fly, update the firmware on the Remote Control (RC), (Drone / Aircraft (AC) and (batteries if needed).
DJI Assistant 2 can be downloaded from the Mavic 2 Downloads page. You can use DJI GO 4 (get it from the Play store - Android OR App Store - IOS) .

DJI GO 4 has a Flight Simulator, it is an excellent way to get some stick time and see how things work.

Get an app called "UAV Forecast", wind at ground level may be OK but may be too high at higher elevations. Until you gt comfortable with flying, this needs to be your bible on flying conditions.

You may need to calibrate the compass, the procedure in the User Manual is incorrect, find the correct procedure in a Youtube video.

Go to Youtube and put "Mavic 2 Pro" in the search line, it will give you broad topic categories, select one or press enter and it will bring up very long list of video's.

Provided with the aircraft are three short cables designed to go from the side charging port on the RC and connect to the cell phone used as the display. If you use an Android you know from having read the User Manual that the RC will try to charge an Android.
A better option is to go from the bottom USB (type A) to the display device (phone or tablet, Android or IOS).
The side charging port on the RC is a USB micro connector even though it is square. The User Manual told and showed you the proper way to insert the charging cable'

When you are ready to fly, find a wide open area like a soccer field or similar. Metal or electrical lines will cause compass error and could cause your AC to loose orientation and control.

You know from having read the User Manual that the AC is in beginner mode where the distance and elevation are limited.

Any specific advice on how to remember left/right or rather which way to push the control sticks when flying back towards yourself? That seems to be my constant befuddlement! But that may also have to do with the fact that I've never been automatic in knowing left from right (lefty, here). Any videos on that aspect of flying that you've seen?

Any specific advice on how to remember left/right or rather which way to push the control sticks when flying back towards yourself? That seems to be my constant befuddlement! But that may also have to do with the fact that I've never been automatic in knowing left from right (lefty, here). Any videos on that aspect of flying that you've seen?
There are all sorts of ways talked about to remember this, but the bottom line is that practice, practice and more practice - will make it second nature ... Take off with the Mavic facing away from you, so that initially all the controls are working as you expect (push right, goes right etc.). Put the Mavic in Tripod mode so everything slows right down! Do some simple forward and back (away from you and return), and get used to where the 'Pause' button is! Just press it and get used to knowing that if you do something where the Mavic goes the 'wrong way' and you are heading for a tree or something - you can stop playing with the sticks and press the 'Pause' to just get everything stopped and hovering. That way you can then breathe and take your time to get yourself out of what you were about to dive into! Once you have that mastered, start flying squares out in front of you - to the left then the right ... That will get you used to the apparent reversal of the controls when the drone is coming back at you. Big piece of advice though ... Altitude gives you time ... So don't be afraid to get your drone up around 10 metres to do your training flights (rather than thinking 1 metre off the ground is safer). And - definitely don't train indoors!!!!!

Reactions: ff22
None that I have seen.
Practice practice practice. After a while it becomes rote, like ridding a motorcycle or bicycle

The bicycle I've got down, not so much a motorcycle. I guess I will PRACTICE.... etc. My problem is that I have to drive about 15 miles to get to a spot or I'm limited to my approximately 1,000 square foot rear yard and its fruit tree encumbered space. No flying in Seattle area!!!

There are all sorts of ways talked about to remember this, but the bottom line is that practice, practice and more practice - will make it second nature ... Take off with the Mavic facing away from you, so that initially all the controls are working as you expect (push right, goes right etc.). Put the Mavic in Tripod mode so everything slows right down! Do some simple forward and back (away from you and return), and get used to where the 'Pause' button is! Just press it and get used to knowing that if you do something where the Mavic goes the 'wrong way' and you are heading for a tree or something - you can stop playing with the sticks and press the 'Pause' to just get everything stopped and hovering. That way you can then breathe and take your time to get yourself out of what you were about to dive into! Once you have that mastered, start flying squares out in front of you - to the left then the right ... That will get you used to the apparent reversal of the controls when the drone is coming back at you. Big piece of advice though ... Altitude gives you time ... So don't be afraid to get your drone up around 10 metres to do your training flights (rather than thinking 1 metre off the ground is safer). And - definitely don't train indoors!!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try Tripod mode and the SQUARE. As I mentioned above - my yard is limited and I've pruned two different apple trees, one bathroom window (window intact, propeller not so much) and another shrub or two. But I was out at a soccer field (15 miles or so from home) and played a bit more today, running through two batteries.

I don't know if this will help you but when I was learning RC cars, I decided to mark the control and car, WHITE and BLUE in place of left and right. Perhaps a small piece of reflective tape on the arms of the drone and dots on the controller? Move the control one way and it's going "blue". Move it the other and it's going "white". There are already lights on the drone denoting front and back. So you could also put dots showing "red" and "green" if you wish.

I don't know if this will help you but when I was learning RC cars, I decided to mark the control and car, WHITE and BLUE in place of left and right. Perhaps a small piece of reflective tape on the arms of the drone and dots on the controller? Move the control one way and it's going "blue". Move it the other and it's going "white". There are already lights on the drone denoting front and back. So you could also put dots showing "red" and "green" if you wish.

I will have to see if this idea can overcome my possibly age-related deficit. (g) Although I've actually always had left/right problems. Actually, I've added Strobon Cree lights to help locate the drone when it gets lost in the tree line. But even the extra strobe lights can be hard to see in daylight. I guess just getting VERY familiar might help and being conscious of being deliberate.

Reactions: Turn11
The bicycle I've got down, not so much a motorcycle

@FoxhallGH has some good ideas. Fwd, back and yaw all work in reverse. when flying towards you or if you are backing away from you. If you have a ball field, soccer field or big open area it might be better than trying to fly in a restricted area. Go through batteries until it starts to become second nature, Rote as us old folks say, muscle memory for the young PC OP's might say.
When you get it down, update this thread with what worked for you.
You got this.

Back when I was first starting to race RC cars, one of the experienced folks recommended that I envision myself in the drivers seat of the car. I'm not sure that's what did it, but after lots of practice it became second nature to steer all around the track at high speed without giving it any thought.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew