DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where can i velcro mount tiny gps locator?

bud01234

Reactions
New Mavic pilot/Old phantom pilot: I have a tiny Verizon Gizmo (a kids watch with gps) that I cut off the arm bands and put Velcro on back and mounted on my old Phantom 3 Pro and it works great. I'd like to do the same on my brand new Mavic Pro II but don't want to block any sensors or GPS. I'm thinking a good place would be on the top side as far forward as possible. It would be above the gimbal area.
would that be a good place to Velcro it and not block anything important? Thanks! Bud

Reactions: paulmike3
This is actually a really solid idea that I hadn't thought of. Simple GPS watches can be had for $20 and prepaid SIMs for $5 or less a month. Thumbswayup

I'm also curious where the best place would be to mount it. Interested in other's input.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
yes I have seen people do that on top front right above the gimbal area or on top of the battery

On the battery is the position to least likely interfere with any of the internal electronics and sensors.. Anywhere else, and you risk intgerference with the GPS / IMU / Compass or RC antenae.......
That's why velcro is so good, so you can swap it over as you change the battery.
Cheers,
Ian

Main reason I read the posts in this forum, great info like OP stated above. Never thought about a GPS watch much smaller then current offerings GREAT IDEA!

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Wait .. What am I not getting here? I have a GPS watch. Why would I want to mount it to my Mavic? I have to look at the screen or download the data to my PC. My Mavic already tracks its own movements. I guess I'm just not getting something here

Wait .. What am I not getting here? I have a GPS watch. Why would I want to mount it to my Mavic? I have to look at the screen or download the data to my PC. My Mavic already tracks its own movements. I guess I'm just not getting something here
For tracking a lost drone. The watches we're talking about have a 2G SIM card in them, and send an SMS with their exact location when queried.

For tracking a lost drone. The watches we're talking about have a 2G SIM card in them, and send an SMS with their exact location when queried.
So, they work over cell towers obviously. Is there a fee to use the cellular network??

Is there a fee to use the cellular network??
Those trackers i know of, have a monthly/yearly fee to use the cell network.

I use the Marco Polo system and put a piece of velcro on each of my batteries. I can then move the transmitter quickly from one to the other.

This is what I came up with for the Marco Polo Ultralight model:

On the battery is the position to least likely interfere with any of the internal electronics and sensors.. Anywhere else, and you risk intgerference with the GPS / IMU / Compass or RC antenae.......
That's why velcro is so good, so you can swap it over as you change the battery.
Cheers,
Ian
Hi Ian, I watched a video you made with a LOC8TOR mounted on the rear of your mavic pro, have you revised your thinking since that.
Dave

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki