DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where the heck are the goggles?

Will the DJI goggles use the gimbal camera or the front vision sensors? I know the resolution on the sensors isn't great, but wouldn't it give you real 3D?

Will the DJI goggles use the gimbal camera or the front vision sensors? I know the resolution on the sensors isn't great, but wouldn't it give you real 3D?
Without a doubt it will us the "gimbal camera". The front sensors are not cameras, they are sensors.

Well, in this sense, the sensor is a camera.

If you've done a sensor calibration you've seen that it indeed sends a video feed to the Mavic. That video could be used in the goggles.

With the physical separation between the sensors, you'd have a 3D perspective.

I don't know what resolution the sensors are capable of, however.

Reactions: Chase R
I'd expect the front vision sensors to be connected to a completely different subsystem dedicated to visual processing and not capable of being routed to the live transmission system. But who knows...

I'd expect the front vision sensors to be connected to a completely different subsystem dedicated to visual processing and not capable of being routed to the live transmission system. But who knows...
If capable, I think it would be great.

I was flying my Mavic the other day and there happened to be a guy nearby flying his FPV racing quadcopter. He let me put on his goggles and it was awesome; I'd never experienced FPV before and I was impressed.

My takeaway though, was that it was only 2D and a two sensor hardware setup like the Mavic has would be ideal. It wouldn't even have to be super high resolution to give a great effect.

I've been flying FPV since 2002, and many of us have implemented 3D FPV setups... then gave up on them due to the lack of interest.

In this case firstly the angle of view of the front sensors is insufficient, you'll jsut only see the ground whenever you're going forward. Then the distance between the 2 sensors is too small, you'd only get a 3D effect if you were nearly touching the ground or other features, basically anything >5m away would appear flat.

To get a slightly worthy 3D effect at normal flying height (10-20m above ground) we had to place the cameras >1m apart, i.e. one on the tip of each wing of an 1.3m wingspan airplane.

Reactions: halley
How are you guys who use the mavic + cardboard solution dealing with touch screen needs while they are in the headset adapter? Bluetooth controller or mouse, or just quickly removing and doing what is needed?
I am flying 99% with Litchi in cardboard mode and never came into touchscreen needs. All needed functions can be assigned to the remote's buttons.

But it may depend on your flight intentions. If you want to take premium quality pictures or movies you better fly with the standard touchscreen interface, if you want to enjoy your flight and have better situational awareness then use the goggles.

Hmmm, you guys just made me realize I'll need a bigger case/backpack. I'm hoping we see them by Spring 2017...

Oh I knew I would end up acquiring more than just the drone and batteries so I did get a case that was slightly bigger ... :)

Reactions: dmyers7
I knew I would end up acquiring more than just the drone and batteries so I did get a case that was slightly bigger

Yup, I keep seeing all these Pelican 1400s and itty bitty pelican-like units like PolarPro's case, thinking "but what about the accessories?"

How bout a backpack that can be worn while biking, maybe similar in capacity to that mc explorer case, but obviously a back pack instead and lighter.. has anyone found something like that (that can hold the mavic + 2 batteries + medium sized goggles)?

How bout a backpack that can be worn while biking, maybe similar in capacity to that mc explorer case, but obviously a back pack instead and lighter.. has anyone found something like that (that can hold the mavic + 2 batteries + medium sized goggles)?
I have the MC-Cases Compact and love it. MC-Cases also makes a great looking backpack. I'm not sure if the front pocket is big enough for the DJI goggles or not. It looks to be big enough for smaller "cardboard" type goggles. Professional Backpack / Rucksack from MC Cases fits for DJI Mavic Pro

Last edited:
I am going down the route of an Nvidia K1 for FPV .... im just getting some S clips made by one the FANTASTIC forum members and then ill start looking at a headset .... but it all needs to fit into my MC case :)

I have the MC-Cases Compact and love it. MC-Cases also makes a great looking backpack. I'm not sure if the front pocket is big enough for the DJI goggles or not. It looks to be big enough for smaller "cardboard" type goggles. Professional Backpack / Rucksack from MC Cases fits for DJI Mavic Pro

The backpack just looks overly bulky to me.. almost makes me want to just get some foam (and maybe other material for safety) + a school age type backpack and see if i can mod something less bulky.

The backpack just looks overly bulky to me.. almost makes me want to just get some foam (and maybe other material for safety) + a school age type backpack and see if i can mod something less bulky.

If you're looking for something small, compact and what you listed above is all you want to carry, LowePro's 150 series bags fit the bill. I've got an edge sling 150 AW and could easily fit what you list and it's all up to what you want to carry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake