DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

where to fly in London? UK

Feel free to continue your own research, but I can assure you that Oxleas Meadows/Woods is a fine place to fly, with good views North and West to the city. I've also read a long thread elsewhere on this site that discusses the pilots regular visits to Battersea Park for flying.

I emailed Greenwich Council about flying in Oxleas Woods and was told it's not allowed, this is the email I got from them.

Dear Leslie,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the flying of drones in Oxleas Woods.

Royal Borough of Greenwich unfortunately do not allow the use of drones on any of its park land.

At present there are no drone or propelled designated flying areas across the borough.

Hope this information is helpful, Please feel free to contact me if any further information is required.

Kind regards,

Paul Martin

Parks Rangers Manager

Parks, Estates & Open Spaces

' 020 8921 4125 À 07770 226 444
* The Oxleas Woods Centre,Crown Woods Lane, London SE18 3JA
8 www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk

hello all, i will be traveling to london in the 3rd week of September. Hopefully i can fly my mavic somewhere wtih some fall foliage.

i have checked the site Home which basically i can't fly drone anywhere near london.
including richmond park and oxleas meadows which this post suggest. any suggestions you have for me as a tourist to fly in london area?

I'd suggest getting NATs "Drone Assist" app (Drone Assist from NATS – Android Apps on Google Play). This is the official CAA recommended app. It contains no fly zones, danger areas and other no drone areas. Take a look at london there - many many layers of red. You need to get out of London (not a bad thing, its horrible anyway!). Drone Assist doesn't really have all the banned areas but has most. It lacks the national trust land for example but they can go screw themselves and their draconian photo and drone policies anyway!).
Certainly don't rely on DJI Geo, Airmap or other US centric drone apps to stay legal.

As for autumn (you're not in america now, its not "fall"!) you're about a month or so too early. Generally there you wont see colour changes until mid October. If you are still around for then, places like Westonbirt are great for seeing that.

Amusingly, looking on that app, theres a temporary NOTAM for the Ealing area today due to UAS unmanned operations in the area from SFC to 600ft.

Who is going to know where your flying? The mavic is so quiet no one would ever know. Ive flown in my local town on a grassed area for take off and landing. Fly down my local river and out side my house in a built up area, it's only a toy[emoji6]

Reactions: Youser
Wormwood Scrubs permitted flying hours for RC Models
NOVEMBER 11, 2010 4 COMMENTS

If you are flying at Wormwood Scrubs Park, your should know that it is only allowed during special timeslots.

The times are:

Monday 1.00pm – 7.30pm or sunset, whichever is earlier.
Tuesday 9.00am – 6.00pm or sunset, whichever is earlier.
Wednesday 4.00pm – 7.30pm or sunset, whichever is earlier.
Thursday 9.00am – 6.00pm or sunset, whichever is earlier.
Friday 1.00pm – 7.30pm or sunset, whichever is earlier.
Saturday 9.30am – 1.00pm or sunset, whichever is earlier.
Sunday 10.00am – 1.00pm or sunset, whichever is earlier.

Who is going to know where your flying? The mavic is so quiet no one would ever know. Ive flown in my local town on a grassed area for take off and landing. Fly down my local river and out side my house in a built up area, it's only a toy[emoji6]

A toy with rules and laws

Yes, all Royal Parks have banned drones. It is a shame for me as I am very close to the three biggest ones - Richmond, Bushy and Home Parks. Home Park is absolutely deserted most of the time and would be great for getting shots of the river and Hampton Court Palace and is really flat for using sport mode, but those are the rules I guess.

All of the National Trust properties are no-go as well.
Richmond Park has a designated field for R/C aircraft it is marked as such

River Thames between Kingston and Walton bridges has a few nice spots. Nonsuch Park near Cheam is OK . As I only use the Mavic to capture a particular shot and am rarely in the air for more than 5 minutes I fly where I want. No dangerous places of course. Effectively the controller battery will last for about 90 minutes . Flying in the same spot for that amount of time with all the take offs and landings would bring you lots of attention I would have thought.

Great.
I might come and try it sometime.
I really am surprised that it's allowed so close to the prison.
Are there usually lots of people there?
Is it likely that you cannot fly in peace?

Great.
I might come and try it sometime.
I really am surprised that it's allowed so close to the prison.
Are there usually lots of people there?
Is it likely that you cannot fly in peace?
You’ll be just fine

It's been a licensed flying field since I was a kid 40+ years. Great fun.

Is there a good website for finding places that are licensed? I’m in the south east near Bromley and there are some good places down this way but I always feel a little wary on the first flight in a new area

J
Is there a good website for finding places that are licensed? I’m in the south east near Bromley and there are some good places down this way but I always feel a little wary on the first flight in a new area
Just joined as my Mavic Pro should arrive today, I work in Bromley and have contacts at Oakley house so will be asking if I can fly around there, if so I'll let you know.

ok, interesting, thought it would be off limits with the prison/drone probs! which end of the park is it?
Right in the middle,you’ll see a notice board with the bylaws
ok, interesting, thought it would be off limits with the prison/drone probs! which end of the park is it?
right in the middle where you’ll see an area that look like a circle of trees,bylaws sign and bench

I emailed Greenwich Council about flying in Oxleas Woods and was told it's not allowed, this is the email I got from them.
funnily enough I was thinking of taking mine to oxleas as got a mate right by it, might try Blackheath, failing those I will drive out into kent and maybe go dungeness

from sheen gate you could cover the whole park. I wonder why they allow it at that gate only.

There are far more quieter areas away from the ring road tha the Sheen gate end mmm i might have to go take a look.
Richmond park is fine...was there for a few hours yesterday it was fairly busy ...also your allowed to fly on wormwood scrubs behind wormwoods srubbs prison there is a section there for flying can get busy there over the weekends..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98