DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

where to fly in London? UK

fcefalu

Reactions
Hi all, been searching but not sure i found all the answers i needed. I am a newbie and want to start using my MAVIC. anyone can recommend a safe spot to practice MAVIC's usage in central london .... or the closest place? think battersea park is one of the spot but not 100% sure... Any advice is welcome

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 16.41.58.png You would need to look on the GEO function plus check that the park is not in a no fly zone.

Battersea is quite close to central city and maybe a problem these days.

yes thanks, certainly will do....
Better u head out a little as there us city airport close by and central london is pretty much used by everything from low flying helis to holding circles snd the parks attract attention fast.especially richmond. London itself is not too drone friendly but there are a few quiet launch sites along the river. Personally i try to keep to greater London and away from Heathrow.If you can move further afield do so if u cant expect some attention. On the maps NFZ is pretty much london. Scope around by the river u are low can keep low and get some good bridge footage but its hard to be anonymous with a Mavic in London

I use a park in Battersea for training flights. Never above 75' as the heli's come over. Stay away from people and dogs. I use prop guards in case a dog jumps up, not much use really, but it makes it look better to the public.
If it's quiet, I have used sports mode and managed 40mph.
It's about respecting other people and being safe.
No one has hassled me and I just stay below the radar.
Have fun and if you find somewhere I will meet you there when I get back from my work travels in April.

I use a park in Battersea for training flights. Never above 75' as the heli's come over. Stay away from people and dogs. I use prop guards in case a dog jumps up, not much use really, but it makes it look better to the public.
Have fun and if you find somewhere I will meet you there when I get back from my work travels in April.
thanks soundtekk, actually planning to go this weekend!

I use the part by Sun Gate. Walk in and there is a large open space the other side of the "roundabout". At weekends, it can be RAMMED, if so, I pack up and go home.

The map is updated all the time but there is so much to update it takes time I guess.

This is exactly what I am doing in a park a bit further out in Surbiton.

I always wait until people and dogs are 50m+ away and if they come inside that range I land the Mavic.

It is not going to be particularly interesting to fly there in the long term, but it is great to learn all of the controls and camera functions.

Thanks, it is a useful map to have !
However it is strange because the Royal Parks are in a green zone (only stadiums or other are in yellow/red zone), I have read that Royal Parks were non flight zone rights ? Is the map not well updated ?
Best,
Romain

Yes, all Royal Parks have banned drones. It is a shame for me as I am very close to the three biggest ones - Richmond, Bushy and Home Parks. Home Park is absolutely deserted most of the time and would be great for getting shots of the river and Hampton Court Palace and is really flat for using sport mode, but those are the rules I guess.

All of the National Trust properties are no-go as well.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Yes, all Royal Parks have banned drones. It is a shame for me as I am very close to the three biggest ones - Richmond, Bushy and Home Parks. Home Park is absolutely deserted most of the time and would be great for getting shots of the river and Hampton Court Palace and is really flat for using sport mode, but those are the rules I guess.

All of the National Trust properties are no-go as well.
i believe Richmond was the cause of some problem with drones plus the Queens deer and swans reside there.

London is a nightmare for flying, but it can be done as long as you are very discreet about where you fly..

As stated in another post. Richmond has a RC flying ground, just inside Sheen gate. Might be worth a try....
from sheen gate you could cover the whole park. I wonder why they allow it at that gate only.

There are far more quieter areas away from the ring road tha the Sheen gate end mmm i might have to go take a look.

Reactions: Mavic12
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78