DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to fly in the bay area

Tee

Reactions
Hello everyone, I was just reading some post on where to fly your drone in the bay area, I apologize because I forgot where I found the topic, but anyway I am really stumped by all of the NFZ everywhere, I just started flying a drone and I have been checking online to see about the restricted areas so that I don't break any laws, yesterday I checked the website for mount diablo to see if it's ok to fly and I did not see any on there website, I called the main number and it's just a recording that does not say anything about drones are not allowed, that is a state park and they just say make sure that you follow the Faa rules for flying, anyway I went up there to fly and as soon as I lifted off some guy drove up in a truck and said that drones are not permitted to fly in the park, and I'm like why not I'm not flying over people or homes or anything that will cause harm, just trees and mountains, so why are these parks so restrictive? so this person that drove up said that it is on there website so I just stopped and landed my drone, I didn't even think about asking who he was or anything because he was not in a official vehicle just a Toyota truck, I see now that I will need to drive at least an hour away to fly, we just mostly want some scenery footage or photos to enjoy at home with family and friends.

Hello everyone, I was just reading some post on where to fly your drone in the bay area, I apologize because I forgot where I found the topic, but anyway I am really stumped by all of the NFZ everywhere, I just started flying a drone and I have been checking online to see about the restricted areas so that I don't break any laws, yesterday I checked the website for mount diablo to see if it's ok to fly and I did not see any on there website, I called the main number and it's just a recording that does not say anything about drones are not allowed, that is a state park and they just say make sure that you follow the Faa rules for flying, anyway I went up there to fly and as soon as I lifted off some guy drove up in a truck and said that drones are not permitted to fly in the park, and I'm like why not I'm not flying over people or homes or anything that will cause harm, just trees and mountains, so why are these parks so restrictive? so this person that drove up said that it is on there website so I just stopped and landed my drone, I didn't even think about asking who he was or anything because he was not in a official vehicle just a Toyota truck, I see now that I will need to drive at least an hour away to fly, we just mostly want some scenery footage or photos to enjoy at home with family and friends.

Hey, I was just looking on the site and found your question. I happen to live in the shadow of Mt. Diablo on the East side of it just out of Clayton. I live 1/4 mile from the Contra Costa Detention Center and the Contra Cost Law Enforcement Training Center, i.e., their shooting range. The area over the sheriff's place is all restricted air space but I can clearly see their ranges and actual people shooting from max altitude just outside the restricted area.

the area along Marsh Creek road has a lot of beautiful flying area and t a lot to see. Go out MArsh Creek road on the East side of the City of Clayton and head toward Livermore. About 6 miles outside of Clayton look for a turn off named Aspara Drive. Pull in that area and follow the road in over a concrete dam and there is a great place to set up and fly. You can see the 5 houses on the street and even spot my house from the air.

Reactions: Jdratti and Tee
Hey, I was just looking on the site and found your question. I happen to live in the shadow of Mt. Diablo on the East side of it just out of Clayton. I live 1/4 mile from the Contra Costa Detention Center and the Contra Cost Law Enforcement Training Center, i.e., their shooting range. The area over the sheriff's place is all restricted air space but I can clearly see their ranges and actual people shooting from max altitude just outside the restricted area.

the area along Marsh Creek road has a lot of beautiful flying area and t a lot to see. Go out MArsh Creek road on the East side of the City of Clayton and head toward Livermore. About 6 miles outside of Clayton look for a turn off named Aspara Drive. Pull in that area and follow the road in over a concrete dam and there is a great place to set up and fly. You can see the 5 houses on the street and even spot my house from the air.
Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback, I didn't know about the shooting range out there.

The range is law enforcement only, we hear them 7 days a week, until about 10 pm most nights. I fly a MAvic 2 zoom in my area. Send me a private message if you would like to come out some time.

I flew at Treasure Island a while back. It seems to be a popular spot, beautiful scenery and legal. Next time I'm in the SF area I want to try Yerba Buena island. Until recently I did most of my flying near my home in the Santa Cruz Mountains, but looking at the tops of redwood trees gets old after a while. My latest flying passion is shooting surf videos. Putting a drone inside a barreling wave would be cool.

Last edited:
I never knew how many airports there were until I owned a drone. Use AirMap for those areas at the edge of one of those zones and file a flight plan that enters your flight into the LAANC system.

I have seen people flying over the Berkeley Marina and was surprised to see that it isn’t within a nofly zone. The challenge there would be to find a spot that would allow you fly without being over people.

Also, it’s legal to fly over BLM land.

I have flown in these areas:

Richmond Marina Bay, Point Richmond
Treasure Island
Emeryville Marina
Berkeley Marina
Crockett
Port Costa
Benicia/Carquinez Strait
Pittsburg Marina
Antioch
Brentwood
Golden Hill Park, Martinez
Dinosaur Hill Park, Lafayette/Pleasant Hill
Rankin Park, Martinez
Martinez waterfront Park
Central Park, Fremont
Seabreeze Park, Union City

I used to fly only Mavic Pro, but in the past few months I mainly fly Autel Evo which has no geofencing. But the areas I listed above are mostly OK even with MP.

I never knew how many airports there were until I owned a drone. Use AirMap for those areas at the edge of one of those zones and file a flight plan that enters your flight into the LAANC system.

I have seen people flying over the Berkeley Marina and was surprised to see that it isn’t within a nofly zone. The challenge there would be to find a spot that would allow you fly without being over people.

Also, it’s legal to fly over BLM land.
What is BLM?

I flew at Treasure Island a while back. It seems to be a popular spot, beautiful scenery and legal. Next time I'm in the SF area I want to try Yerba Buena island. Until recently I did most of my flying near my home in the Santa Cruz Mountains, but looking at the tops of redwood trees gets old after a while. My latest flying passion is shooting surf videos. Putting a drone inside a barreling wave would be cool.
I must live near you. Would be great to meet up some time and fly!

BLM is bureau of land management.
As to Diablo I saw that as being NFZ -but not indicated as such by FAA. Individual CA State Parks can ban drones at their discretion. China Camp and Mt Tam SP are also off limits. As are most of the lands where I live in Marin. GGNRA, MMWD, Marin Open Space, are all NFZ.
A friend who lives near Diablo said they even have volunteers on the lookout for drone poaching! (Unverified)
And the good news is ....???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000