DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to launch and control?

lancealotg

Reactions
Just getting started with drones and I would like some insight into the locations to actually launch and control the drone from.
I have loaded some apps like b4ufly and lets say an area is clear of all restricted airspace. Do most of you find a local park (if allowed) or park on the street and launch off the sidewalk?
I know you not supposed to fly from private property but would a large shopping center parking lot in a remote corner be ok?
What have you guys found that works well without get lea all worked up.

Thanks

Which aircraft?
The least amount of people around the better as far as fly area goes.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I ordered the air 2.
There is this very tall bridge in my area that I want to capture.
It is in a residental / bussiness area.
Would parking on a side street be an option?

... Do most of you find a local park (if allowed) or park on the street and launch off the sidewalk?...
I have a few local parks where I do the majority of flying. If no one is around I can fly low but if anyone is there I fly close to 400 feet and avoid over-flying them.
... park on the street and launch off the sidewalk?
The problem with launching from a sidewalk is there may be steel in the concrete that could affect the compass. If you hand launch that will not be a problem.
...I know you not supposed to fly from private property but would a large shopping center parking lot in a remote corner be ok?
A shopping center parking lot is private property. Whether or not you will get hassled depends on the security of the shopping center. You would probably be okay if you are as far away from the buildings as possible; then you would be less likely to be mistaken for someone casing the joint for a break in. Your results will vary.

...Would parking on a side street be an option?
Sure, as long as you can keep it in sight for the whole flight. You will need to check your local regulations regarding drones.

You need to do a little trial and error. Check out the area. Fly at a time nobody is around. I tell people all the time don’t draw attention to yourself.

Go there, check out the area. Find a quiet spot and take off. If someone tells you otherwise say sorry land and leave.

Reactions: pt_hikes
I usually fly really early in the morning when not a lot of people are out. Then just pick a place like a park, field or wherever your thinking of flying and go for it. There are lots of cow fields etc around where I am so pretty easy to find a place. We also have the beaches to fly at...

In addition consider downloading Airmap and or Kittyhawk to help determine is you can even legally fly in that area. Edit I have B4UFly but haven't had as good of luck with it. I might be wrong but thought Kittyhawk replace B4Ufly.

Last edited:
Just getting started with drones and I would like some insight into the locations to actually launch and control the drone from.
I have loaded some apps like b4ufly and lets say an area is clear of all restricted airspace. Do most of you find a local park (if allowed) or park on the street and launch off the sidewalk?
I know you not supposed to fly from private property but would a large shopping center parking lot in a remote corner be ok?

Thanks
When I bought my first drone, a Mavic Air, from Drone Nerds in Miami, they sponsored a monthly fly/practice/teaching session for anyone at a local city park. I still go to this park to practice. But in a congested city, it is really hard to find a safe place, so about once a month I get into my car and drive as far out of the city as possible (I usually head west to the empty central part of the state of Florida, Everglades area across the road from the National Park) and there are miles of empty spaces with no power wires. All of this practice is in preparation for my travels to more open spaces such as summer trip to Montana or international travel.
It all depends on where you live. If you live in a city, try the parks. If you live in a rural area, you are in much better shape. I would look for large open areas with no obstructions to worry about- no trees, power lines, etc.

Still struggling with this myself. Since the schools have been closed my wife and I have been going to the school yard down the street to practice and well as behind where we live. I have a Mavic Mini, so in theory there's less attention drawn to it. But it's a drone and you know how the public might view that. I try to stay out of sight, even though I'm not gathering any pictures to bragg about. I would never launch from a public parking lot where people are or take unnecessary chances. I thinking of purchasing a Mavic air 2 but I do not have the skillset to feel comfortable with such a drone yet, at least not in the city.

Still struggling with this myself. Since the schools have been closed my wife and I have been going to the school yard down the street to practice and well as behind where we live. I have a Mavic Mini, so in theory there's less attention drawn to it. But it's a drone and you know how the public might view that. I try to stay out of sight, even though I'm not gathering any pictures to bragg about. I would never launch from a public parking lot where people are or take unnecessary chances. I thinking of purchasing a Mavic air 2 but I do not have the skillset to feel comfortable with such a drone yet, at least not in the city.

Dear RChawks:

Unfortunately there is no other way to learn how to drive a car than to drive a car. The same applies to a drone. Thus, in my opinion, I would go ahead and get the Mavic Air 2. I learned everything on my Mavic Air 1 and the new model seems twice as good because of Occusync. I was deathly afraid of losing my connection with the Mavic Air, and now that the new one has Occusync you are in a much better place than I was when I learned on the Mavic Air 1. The two drones (Mini v Air 2) cannot compare, as you well know, so go for it. Looking at Google maps I see there are plenty of open spaces to the east of the city along the Platte River. Find a nice place to pull over along the highway adjoining the river and follow the river in your flight! The school yard is probably not nearly big enough to practice most anything.

Reactions: Rchawks
well, it looks like I am mistaken. That is one big school yard! Looks idea to practice- be sure to go there on a weekend after quarantine is over.

Yep, no one there at all right now. In all the times we went there there was a couple there one time. It's amazing how quick you can lose sight of it by looking down at the phone, lol. I appreciate your advice about the platte river. The majority of my AP was done in Agency where it floods alot. I was amazed at the size of my files from the town on review.

Thanks
From my experience with my mavic pro where ever you choose to fly take note that the closer you launch near metal objects the more likely you are to experience IMU and compass errors which could result in a fly away or toilet bowl effect. Launching too close to your car, metal roofs and pavements with metal rebar in them can cause this issue. The other day I took off near a metal shovel and the drone had a slight toilet bowl effect. I landed moved the shovel away restarted the drone and it flew fine. So if you ever experience compass errors or toilet bowl effects look around you for metal objects where you took off from chances are that is what caused the problem and you don't need to do a recalibration.

Reactions: Akward59
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rsantangelo