DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where To Place FAA Registration Number?

How about a combination of the two... A label on the outside that says "FAA registration number can be found under the battery". That way no lookie-loos can report you, but if it's genuinely lost, someone who doesn't know to look under the battery will be prompted to do so.

For me, my phone number will be prominently displayed - along with "reward if found" notice.

Reactions: Barmik
For everyone that says they'll put the registration number under the battery... what if you lose it, it is found by a non-drone type, and they don't know where the battery is or how to remove it? They won't be able to help you retrieve it then.

I have my registration sticker for my Phantom 2 across the top. This helps to "keep me honest" because I realize if I'm "misbehaving" and crash into a restricted area or into a crowd of people, my identity can be easily traced by the FAA or other authorities.

I'm not sure where I'll place my registration number on the Mavic. I will wait until it's in my hot little hands before I decide.

Reactions: grizzard
it says If you're flying as a hobbyist, the FAA registration process is currently optional. Does it mean you don't need a number plate?
That information needs updated. It's no longer optional as of December 2017.

I've read we need to be careful because it can interfere with the GPS and the compass.

I would counsel against permanently marking your drone. Someday you may want to sell it.
That's certainly something to consider, but a "permanent" Sharpie marker can be removed with denatured alcohol and a bit of elbow grease. I know, because I marked my own drone with my recreational registration number, and later, I got a Part 107 license, and registered the drone that way. I erased the original number with denatured alcohol and wrote the new number in its place.

Another point: this is an old thread, and some of the early posts here talk about putting the registration number under the battery. That was allowed at the time, but the rules now require the number to be visible on the outside of the drone, without removing a battery or opening any compartments.

Here's the notice of the change, requiring the number to be put on an external surface of the aircraft.

Here are the current requirements. They're pretty simple. It's got to be legible. It can be attached by any means necessary to ensure that it will stay on the drone for the duration of each operation. It must be legibly displayed on an external surface of the aircraft.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys