DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where's the Official Mavic Mini Range Leaderboard thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinDunnill

Reactions
The Mini has been out for a while and there have been some amazing range tests stock and with mods, mine included. Would be great to see an official thread on it here somewhere. Here's my all stock range test which I got back just barely by about 10 feet. One way distance of 3.43 Miles.

I've always thought it rather odd that this forum condones "range leaderboards". They are essentially a competition to see who can break the law most efficiently and their mere existence, as such, encourages people to try exactly that.

I've always thought it rather odd that this forum condones "range leaderboards". They are essentially a competition to see who can break the law most efficiently and their mere existence, as such, encourages people to try exactly that.

I've always thought it odd as well that so many have done range tests before and after the BVLOS bs and yet there are no cases to prove that it is endangering anyone or anything for that matter when done at a safe altitude in a country setting. Now testers are dangerously trying to have a distracted driver spotter in a car drive along a road trying to keep the drone in view. What an amazingly new and unsafe environment all this new bs has created with it's warm fuzzy blanket.

I've always thought it odd as well that so many have done range tests before and after the BVLOS bs and yet there are no cases to prove that it is endangering anyone or anything for that matter when done at a safe altitude in a country setting. Now testers are dangerously trying to have a distracted driver spotter in a car drive along a road trying to keep the drone in view. What an amazingly new and unsafe environment all this new bs has created with it's warm fuzzy blanket.

So you think that the lack of documented cases of endangerment mean that the law should be ignored, or am I misunderstanding your point? Driving while distracted is also illegal in most places, so I'd argue that people should be doing neither of those things.

Reactions: Ddjmrql and MarRoh
I've always thought it rather odd that this forum condones "range leaderboards".
This is why and you know this.
  • 15. The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.

So you think that the lack of documented cases of endangerment mean that the law should be ignored, or am I misunderstanding your point? Driving while distracted is also illegal in most places, so I'd argue that people should be doing neither of those things.
It's something that should have never been blanket implemented in the first place. It would be comparable in a way to an entire country setting a speed limit of 25MPH, on or off roads, no matter if your in a busy city or a back country highway. Maybe not the best analogy but you get my point. It was so ridiculous that it was doomed from the start and will very soon be reformed and catered to.. unfortunately not the hobbyist but to autonomous commercial delivery drones we will see buzzing our skies soon enough ?‍♂️

Reactions: Dan C
This is why and you know this.

I know that rule, and it arguably exempts the forum from responsibility but this still begs the question: how is the statement "The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying" philosophically congruent with threads that exist solely to encourage and document users breaking federal law? It doesn't particularly trouble me - as you know I've assisted plenty of users who lost aircraft while obviously flying illegally - but it does seem rather inconsistent.

I completely support the approach of "it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations", but that's not the same as having threads that serve little purpose other than to encourage such behavior.

I guess drawing the line is tricky, though.

It's something that should have never been blanket implemented in the first place. It would be comparable in a way to an entire country setting a speed limit of 25MPH, on or off roads, no matter if your in a busy city or a back country highway. Maybe not the best analogy but you get my point. It was so ridiculous that it was doomed from the start and will very soon be reformed and catered to.. unfortunately not the hobbyist but to autonomous commercial delivery drones we will see buzzing our skies soon enough ?‍♂️

That's debatable. The purpose of VLOS is the situational awareness required to see other aircraft. It's not ridiculous at all - it has simply been assumed by frustrated users that because their aircraft can fly BVLOS then they should be allowed to do that. The New York collision between the Phantom and Black Hawk is a prime example of the risk of flying BVLOS.

The Mini has been out for a while and there have been some amazing range tests stock and with mods, mine included. Would be great to see an official thread on it here somewhere. Here's my all stock range test which I got back just barely by about 10 feet. One way distance of 3.43 Miles.

To get this back on topic..There will be one when the right member who will be on several times a day that can work
the board like there is for the other models.
Just give it a little time and you most likely will see it.

To get this back on topic..There will be one when the right member who will be on several times a day that can work
the board like there is for the other models.
Just give it a little time and you most likely will see it.
Got it. Thanks for the info Thumbswayup

Reactions: dirkclod
Here it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member