DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whew... I got buzzed by a falcon yesterday.

I have yet to experience any of this, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

I have yet to experience any of this, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it.
need to figure out how to add a siren to the mavic just for birds

Reactions: dcren21
Had a scare recently with a golden eagle. Man can they close fast! I'm just getting the hang of the Mavic so I have it in beginner mode. He couldn't have been more than 8 inches away from me when i pulled up. If he really wanted to take me down though, there's nothing that would have stopped him.

Time to give up on beginner mode!

Yeah, I have a Red-Tail Hawk 100' off my balcony... but I live in a NFZ zone anyways, so no matter.

I'll bet that Red-Tail Hawk completely ignores the NFZ though, doesn't he? They're just reckless that way. :)

Reactions: geevee
When this happens it's worth noting that the fastest escape is straight up. Birds of prey are faster than our drones horizontally and descending, but can't climb nearly as fast.
Now that is GOOOOOOOD to know. It happens by me in the upstate of sc a lot. Huge hawks I believe they are. They dont or I should say haven't done anything as of yet but they start to circle above me. I usually cut and run right to my landing zone. So climb then what? Does anyone know how high these large birds of prey can climb?

Reactions: jerryflah
I was flying at the playground of our local school when a few dozen bats came out of the chimney. 4-5 thought it was a good idea to swarm my drone and one went about a foot in front of the camera. makes a nice freeze frame in the video... then I promptly fly higher and away toward the football field.
Might have been Chimney Swifts???

Now that is GOOOOOOOD to know. It happens by me in the upstate of sc a lot. Huge hawks I believe they are. They dont or I should say haven't done anything as of yet but they start to circle above me. I usually cut and run right to my landing zone. So climb then what? Does anyone know how high these large birds of prey can climb?
Thousands of feet usually using thermals, easily out ceiling our Mavics. But not usually aggressive at high altitudes due to their purpose.
In spring and fall they soar across mountain peaks where Hawk Watchers (I'm one) wooo and ahhh. Thousands use thermals and winds over the peaks gliding by in what are called "Kettles". It's similar to what you see Gulls doing on sunny days as they move from roosts to feeding grounds and back 8 to 10 hours later.
If however ANY "bird" flies into a Raptor's breeding terriotory in season, they do so at their own risk.
Watch in spring, Crows being tormented on the wing by Red Wing Blackbirds, Grackles and other birds, for daring to invade nesting grounds.
I've eye witnessed an Eastern Kingbird (Robin sized) LAND on the back of a Redtail Hawk (larger than the common Crow) in flight who defied the established conventions. Feathers flew and the Hawk rolled and dropped scores of feet as he struggled to dislodge the attacker and skedaddle out of this danger zone.
So let the reader beware.
Birds are like Dogs but don't bark (with exception of the Long Eared Owl that is)

I had it happen with other birds, not sure if they were falcons, you can see one of them at the end of this video, also had it on another flight in Arizona, much larger bird, both was after the drone for sure.. you do not want a bird strick that would suck, for the drone and the bird

Last edited:
I've noticed that my drones attract the vultures that circle in a tight orbit but stay away from them. I've had hawks dive right at them but no strikes yet. The golden and bald eagles seem to ignore my drones. Never seen a leprechaun yet!

I was mistaken, early days with the Mavic, before I got the camera dialed in. Still don't like the camera on the Mavic but it looks better than this now.HummingBirdTrim1.jpg

Reactions: ftttu

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom