DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which capacity of IPad mini?

I get that the 5 is the best way to go but is the smallest capacity (cheapest one) OK to buy?
Thanks, John
Hey :)

Actually, the new 6 is the best (just announced and available now to order for the end of the month).

Regarding storage size - it's irrelevant for drones to fly them, but if you plan to use it for anything else, like editing the movies you take - go as big as you can afford/justify :)

Otherwise, cheapest one you can get :)

As Pommy said up there. But remember iPad WiFi models lack a physical Compass & also no GPS/GNSS onboard.

Reactions: pommy
As Pommy said up there. But remember iPad WiFi models lack a physical Compass & also no GPS/GNSS onboard.
Great point!

In fact, that's the exact reason I don't have one. The price difference for the cellular (plus larger storage as I'd would edit on it) makes it way too expensive (for me).

If you are definitely set on getting one and you can afford to - get the cellular because of the reasons mentioned in the last post, and of course - the internet/cellular connection is useful for maps etc.

Yes, you can hotspot to your phone, but it's just another "thing" to do when you want to get out and fly!

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
I use an Ipad mini 5 with my MA2 and have had zero problems. It is the cheapest model I could get. I usually set my phone up as a hotspot when I fly, especially if I am near a geozone that I will need to unlock. Mini 5 is getting really much cheaper now that the 6 has been released. If you are only going to use it for flying, I would stick with the 5. Screen brightness is the same on both, and you really don't need the extra processing power of the 6.

Reactions: SethB
Reading through the reviews and specs for the Mini 6 ($499 USD) I am still very happy with the Mini 5 ($299) I bought just a couple weeks ago. No buyer’s remorse here.

At 64gb, I *will* be shuffling video clips and edits on and off via card reader, airdrop, and wifi/cloud. Others may wish to have more storage.

As a first-time mini owner I am loving the size, coming from a 12.9” Ipad Pro.

Off topic, I’m also loving LumaFusion!

Reactions: Skipper1 and pommy
Get the 6 if you can. Prices of the 5 will now go down. I bought a 4 when the 5 came out at a good price. However when it updated to iOS 14 it became unsafe to fly with. Horrendous video lag especially when an audio alert was issued. I went back to using my mini2 (iOS 12) where the video is smooth. A mini6 will arrive Sep 27. Had I bought the 5 instead of the 4 I would not now be buying the 6. If I could roll back the iOS on the 4 it would be safe to fly with sadly Apple won't let you do this.

I get that the 5 is the best way to go but is the smallest capacity (cheapest one) OK to buy?
Thanks, John

Hello from the Crossroads of America johnrc.

Nice to meet you John. ?

I've flown with a Wi-Fi mini4 and the mini5 was going to be my next one, but I purchased a Tripletek tablet instead.

Anyway, a mini 5 just went for sale in the classifieds that is unlocked, has GPS and is probably a good deal if you can get it shipped to you in Canada from Florida, USA.

It was $350 this morning and is now $300 if your interested. ?

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Get the 6 if you can. Prices of the 5 will now go down. I bought a 4 when the 5 came out at a good price. However when it updated to iOS 14 it became unsafe to fly with… Had I bought the 5 instead of the 4 I would not now be buying the 6…
I don’t want to trivialize @Hummingbird.UAV’s experience. Figuring out which of last-gen tech will last is always a challenge, and I’ve gotten it wrong from time to time. There’s a good argument to be made for the latest tech. That also helps drive innovation and profits for manufacturers…

Having said that, it was a pretty big transition from the dual core processor architecture of the Mini 4 to the 6 core architecture of the Mini 5. I do expect my Mini 5 to be useful for quite a while… and also expect that at some point an upgrade will become needed!

The question for me is whether I’ll get the value out of the useful life before it is obsolete. For the Mini 5 my answer is “yes”. Your mileage may vary!

It is ever so with high performance digital technology - the software upgrades drive hardware purchasing.

Preordered the 6 with 64GB and Cellular after buying and returning the Smart Controller. Looking to simplify what it takes to go out and fly quickly and easily showoff my videos. I'll edit on my MacBook or iPad Pro.

Now to figure out what holder to get...

Great point!

In fact, that's the exact reason I don't have one. The price difference for the cellular (plus larger storage as I'd would edit on it) makes it way too expensive (for me).

If you are definitely set on getting one and you can afford to - get the cellular because of the reasons mentioned in the last post, and of course - the internet/cellular connection is useful for maps etc.

Yes, you can hotspot to your phone, but it's just another "thing" to do when you want to get out and fly!
Yes sadly. I will either get the Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro or wait for the glorious Tab S8 depending on its release.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaro