DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Drone should I buy?

Which Drone is best For obstacle avoidance that’s packable?
The drone with the most sensors is the M3, but is is bigger and heavier. The minis are packable but have less sensors, obviously. You need to make your decision based on what your goals are- packability? obstacle sensors? camera and video quality?

Mavic 3 Sensors:

Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing​

Mavic 3 helps you to enjoy collision-free flight so you can focus on getting the best shots possible. Multiple wide-angle vision sensors work seamlessly with a high-performance vision computing engine to sense obstacles in all directions precisely and plan a safe flight route that avoids them. [4]

Sensing​

• Sensing System​

• Omnidirectional binocular vision system, supplemented with an infrared sensor at the bottom of the aircraft
  • Forward​

• Measurement Range: 0.5-20 m
    Detection Range: 0.5-200 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight Speed ≤ 15m/s
    FOV: Horizontal 90°, Vertical 103°
  • Backward​

• Measurement Range: 0.5-16 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight Speed ≤ 12m/s
    FOV: Horizontal 90°, Vertical 103°
  • Lateral​

• Measurement Range: 0.5-25 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight Speed ≤ 15m/s
    FOV: Horizontal 90°, Vertical 85°
  • Upward​

• Measurement Range: 0.2-10 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight Speed ≤ 6m/s
    FOV: Front and Back 100°, Left and Right 90°
  • Downward​

• Measurement Range: 0.3-18 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight Speed ≤ 6m/s
    FOV: Front and Back 130°, Left and Right 160°
  • Operating Environment​

• Forward, Backward, Left, Right, and Upward: Surface with a clear pattern and adequate lighting (lux>15)
    Downward: Surface with a clear pattern and adequate lighting (lux >15). Diffuse reflective surface with diffuse reflectivity>20% (e.g. wall, tree, person)

Mavic Mini 3 Pro Sensors:

Tri-Directional Obstacle Sensing​

DJI Mini 3 Pro is hands-down our safest Mini to date. Equipped with forward, backward, and downward dual-vision sensors and an all-new aircraft design, it offers a broader sensing range and enhanced safety.

Sensing System​

• Forward​

• Precision Measurement Range: 0.39-25 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight speed <10 m/s
    FOV: Horizontal 106°, Vertical 90°
  • Backward​

• Precision Measurement Range: 0.36-23.4 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight speed <10 m/s
    FOV: Horizontal 58°, Vertical 73°
  • Downward​

• Precision Measurement Range: 0.15-9 m
    Precise Hovering Range: 0.5-12 m
    Vision Sensor Hovering Range: 0.5-30 m
    Effective Sensing Speed: Flight speed <3 m/s
    FOV: Forward/Backward 104.8°, Left/Right 87.6°

Reactions: Gagey52
Top of the pops certainly a Mavic 3 series but also top of the price scale.
A little more wallet and new user friendly and still with full featured O.A. would be a Mavic Air 2S
More budget friendly again the Mini 3 Pro with forward and rearward O.A.

An honourable mention on the second hand market that has a fine camera and great Omni directional O.A. and can be had a budget friendly prices is the Mavic 2 Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: rx7ward
To me the answer would be the mavic 3 but it also depends. I say depends because depends on how you'll use it. If you want great video/pictures, zoom, range etc then it's tough to beat the mavic 3 and the obstacle avoidance is great. But, if you're going to fly through the woods with narrow branches etc, then I'd be tempted to go with one of the less expensive because in some situations no matter how good the obstacle avoidance is supposed to be, you may end up clipping something. It's one thing to lose a prop but if you see your more expensive drone smash to the ground it may not be fun. I know because i saw just that with the skydio 2. Yeah, it has great avoidance, but when you're pushing it, you can still end up eating it right in the wallet. I only offer that as something to keep in mind or consider. Good luck.

The Mavic 3 is better in every way except size (portability) and cost. That's why I have both and use them for different things. If I could only afford one though, I would get the Mavic 3. Just my personal opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee