DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which insurance should I get?

They didnt drop you after filing a claim? I guess it happened to some people. How long did you have the insurance for?
I had it about 4 years. As far as dropping, I haven't tried to insure my new drone as I haven't received it yet. I sure hope not. I can always leverage my 4 cars and home insurance possibly? I will call them today and find out.

I had it about 4 years. As far as dropping, I haven't tried to insure my new drone as I haven't received it yet. I sure hope not. I can always leverage my 4 cars and home insurance possibly? I will call them today and find out.
let us know!

let us know!
They say that as long as I didn't cancel it, its still in effect. I will call them with MA2's serial number and description when it arrives. The premium could go up depending on the value, we will see, my old drone was insured for $600 and the premium was $60 a year. But I should be good to go with the new bird.

I had SF and filed a claim last year for my lost Mavic Air. They paid out generously. I emailed my SF agent about coverage on my new MA2 and he quoted me 75$ for for the year on 1100$ value with 100$ deductible. I don't have any other insurance with SF. I also did not receive any notice that my other insurance (car and renters) increased because of the SF claim a year ago.

So my SF rate probably went up because of the claim. I hear other people getting rates of about 60$ and no deductible.

Hmm, just contacted the local SF agent here in Juneau, Ak they called back and said they don't cover drones if I don't carry other insurance with them. There's that!

Hmm, just contacted the local SF agent here in Juneau, Ak they called back and said they don't cover drones if I don't carry other insurance with them. There's that!

Try a different agent? that's not the case here in WA state.

Good idea, suppose they'll accept someone from out of state? Won't hurt to try.

For what its worth, I recommend the State Farm personal articles policy. Not just for your drone. My PA policy covers about $10k of personal photography equipment, and I pay about $160 per year for it. The only thing I've had to use it for so far was my Mavic Mini when I stupidly took off in windy conditions without having good GPS lock and flew it into a brick wall at max speed.... Had the $500 I paid for the fly-more combo in my bank account in a day or so and a new Mini on the way. I've since sold the Mini, and purchased the Mavic Air 2, and you better believe it's going on there before I take off.

Reading this makes me think I should do State Farm for loss/theft. I've already bought the care refresh, but I had an unrecoverable fly away on my Mavic Air, so it was useless. If there is a way to loose it or crash it and not be able to redeem the care refresh, I'll surely find it.

My first thoughts would be, what are you buying insurance for? If it's only for loss/replacement, DJI Care Refresh would be the choice if you have the broken drone to send them. If you are looking for liability, then you really need to speak with an agent. What coverage ado you need? How much liability and deductible can you live with. If your drone does damage to property or to an aircraft there is a big payout.
Thats what makes DJI refresh the worst choice, you have to have the drone to send them. If you have the drone and it needs repairs you are still covered with Statefarm for the cost of repairs but if you loose the Drone Statefarm replaces it. In what world is DJI Refresh even considered in this conversation? It cost 33% more then Statefarm for the exact coverage plus you have the rest of your gear covered if lost or stolen. I have $2500 coverage for $60.00 a year with Statefarm

There are different kinds of insurance (liability, hull, theft, etc.), but the two broad categories that you should be aware of are liability and hull insurance.

Liability insurance protects you when you injure someone or damage someone else’s property, while hull insurance protects you against damage or loss of your aircraft. There may be a deductible with either. You generally don’t get both in the same policy. I don’t think either provides theft coverage, but your home owner or renter’s policy may cover theft if you are not flying commercially.

I fly professionally and recreationally and have various kinds of insurance coverage depending on the situation.

If I’m flying commercially for my employer using my equipment, I have an equipment rental agreement with them where my equipment is covered under their $5M liability and full-replacement-cost hull insurance policies, and they pay any deductible or anything not covered by the insurance. I’m trying to get the company’s survey group involved with aerial surveys/mapping and until a couple of our surveyors get their Part 107 certificates, I’m the company PIC and I fly my own equipment.

When I fly commercial side gigs, I get liability Insurance from an app on my iPhone (Verifly or SkyWatch), and I rely on DJI’s Care Refresh for “hull insurance,” but I think I’m on my last annual renewal of DJI’s insurance, so I may have to use State Farm after.

When I fly recreationally, I’m a member of AMA and follow their rules. I benefit from the $5M of liability insurance that’s included with membership. They don’t provide hull insurance.

If you just fly recreationally, your home owner or renter’s insurance policies may provide some liability insurance. Check your policy and with your agent.

I have a dozen fixed-wing and a dozen multi-rotor UAVs. The multi-rotors are clearly less reliable with respect to crashing where it’s not pilot error. In any case, I don’t fly without insurance.

I insured my Zoom with State Farm on my personal articles floater. All peril coverage, no deductible, like $20/year. Its a no brainer.....

I recommend you get both. Use the Refresh for drone injuries and the State Farm for flyaways. I was told by State Farm if you file a claim for the drone it will go against you if you ever switch your Homeowners to another company.

Just this week, State Farm paid out $350 (after $100 deductible) to cover gimbal replacement and damaged battery on my Mavic Pro Platinum, through my $37/year Personal Article Protection (PAP) policy here in WA state. I only needed to submit the repair invoice, and the adjuster called and approved in under 24 hours. It didn't matter that it was pilot error on my part.

Further, that adjuster made sure I knew that this policy was still active to cover future claims, and would be renewed if I choose to do so. He further explained that one claim in a year or two is not going to cause cancellation, but also said there are drone owners submitting multiple claims in a year, driving everyone's premiums higher. Lastly, contrary to what Springerdog1 heard above from their agent, the adjuster also affirmed what my agent had told me previously, that there's no link between PAP policy claims and homeowners premiums.

That said, I learned even before this claim (i.e. it's fully unrelated) that my premium doubles to $75 next year, so I haven't decided whether to renew. Naturally, I'm more inclined to renew due to State Farm's great customer service on that claim, only question is whether I might upgrade to a new model in coming months, and if the higher premium is worth it for my aging Mavic Pro Platinum.

One of the reasons I chose SF coverage vs. DJI is that as these photos show, I like to fly over water, and SF covers loss and theft, as well as damage.

Good luck!

org_d6f9bfb9ec4bbd79_1573427418000.jpgorg_26709701ad29b12e_1580617040000-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:
I’m looking into insurance / protection plans for my Mavic Air 2. I’m trying to decide which one(s) I should go with.

DJI Care Refresh ($79.99) - One Year
State Farm ($60) - One Year
Asurion Protection Plan ($57) - Three Years

Actually, just typing that out made me realize the Asurion plan is the best deal.
In case your drone gets sick. ? Yes my image. :)
MavicAir2ChicagoMaskThumb.jpg

So I think my State Farm agent was trying to screw me over. I had my Autel Evo 1 covered on my plan and called him to add my Mavic Air 2 and Evo 2 Pro. He informed me that I would need to open up another plan for each drone, paying $60 each and every year I wanted it. That didn't sound right as several people on here and other forums have stated they have multiple drones on their plan.

I then reached out to another agent requesting a transfer to their office. The office manager from my current office called me and was wondering why I wanted to transfer and I told him what was going on and that it doesn't match up with what I'm hearing from others. He then told me he's going to speak to the agent I'm dealing with and straighten things out. Left a bad taste in my mount.

Either way, he's adding all my drones to the one plan for me. Not a great experience.

So I think my State Farm agent was trying to screw me over. I had my Autel Evo 1 covered on my plan and called him to add my Mavic Air 2 and Evo 2 Pro. He informed me that I would need to open up another plan for each drone, paying $60 each and every year I wanted it. That didn't sound right as several people on here and other forums have stated they have multiple drones on their plan.

I then reached out to another agent requesting a transfer to their office. The office manager from my current office called me and was wondering why I wanted to transfer and I told him what was going on and that it doesn't match up with what I'm hearing from others. He then told me he's going to speak to the agent I'm dealing with and straighten things out. Left a bad taste in my mount.

Either way, he's adding all my drones to the one plan for me. Not a great experience.

Good you're sorted though, most liekly the agent concerned was just not up with multiple cover.
I wasn't aware the US State Farm covered more than one per policy . . .

So was it a good saving for 3 drones vs 1 ?

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom