DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Ipad

sawyerbrownlive

Reactions
I passed my Part 107 exam last week thanks to my job offering me time to study and paying for the exam! Now they want me to put together a list of links to purchase what i feel comfortable with. As a hobbyist i fly a Mavic Pro with an Ipad mini (don't recall which one). I would like to continue using apple products as that's what i'm comfortable with. I have discussed the Mavic 2 Pro with my bosses and they are good with it. So, can you recommend an ipad that is best suited for the M2P? I also use the DJI Go 4 app, but will consider something else since this will be for commercial purposes and not for fun. Thanks!

I use the iPad Air 2, which is just right and works with available drone accessories (remote mount, shade hood).

I see that the newest one is 10.5" screen while mine (older generation) is 9.7". So I would check to see if the outside dimensions have changed, to be sure they still fit the accessories.

Chris

Reactions: sawyerbrownlive
a) iPad Mini 5
b) iPad Pro 11"

(both with WiFi and Cellular capabilities)

Is the WiFi and Cell capability important?
You said in your OP your intended use is commercial.
As you don't specify what kind of work you are doing, I always recommend an iPad with Cell capability.

You said in your OP your intended use is commercial.
As you don't specify what kind of work you are doing, I always recommend an iPad with Cell capability.

I just don't know enough about the differences between the 2. We do accident investigations. Could be out in the middle of nowhere or we could be in the middle of an intersection, or we could be over the top of a destroyed warehouse/building.

I just don't know enough about the differences between the 2
An iPad with Cell has a GPS receiver builtin. (a WiFi only model does not)
If you must use an app on your iPad requiring location services based on GPS, then use an iPad with Cell.

Whatever tablet you decide on I suggest "wi-fi capable" as minimum and link to your cellphone (mobile for us Brits) with "personal hot-spot" works for me (Mavic 2 & P4Pro- iPad or NVidia shield). Why pay for cell capability when most cellphones already have gps and you can use the cellphone apps to check local NFZs etc.

you can use the cellphone apps to check local NFZs etc.
.. but you can't transfer GPS location data with a tethered mobile.

Whatever tablet you decide on I suggest "wi-fi capable" as minimum and link to your cellphone (mobile for us Brits) with "personal hot-spot" works for me (Mavic 2 & P4Pro- iPad or NVidia shield). Why pay for cell capability when most cellphones already have gps and you can use the cellphone
Whatever tablet you decide on I suggest "wi-fi capable" as minimum and link to your cellphone (mobile for us Brits) with "personal hot-spot" works for me (Mavic 2 & P4Pro- iPad or NVidia shield). Why pay for cell capability when most cellphones already have gps and you can use the cellphone apps to check local NFZs etc.

apps to check local NFZs etc.
.. but you can't transfer GPS location data with a tethered mobile.
GPS is limited to the more expensive 3G iPad models. But if you own a GPS-enabled iPhone, you’re in luck. The WiFi-only iPad 2 inherits GPS functionality when it’s (wi-fi not bluetooth) tethered to an iPhone . If you mean GPS co-ordinates I agree but it does show location.(wi-fi not bluetooth)

inherits GPS functionality when it’s tethered to an iPhone.
iOS or iPadOS "Core Location" API provides services that determine a device’s geographic location and altitude.
That framework gathers data using all available components on the device, including WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, magnetometer, barometer, and cellular hardware.
In short, then more data sources a device has access to, then more likely you have an accurate position.
These Core Location data provided by a tethered iPhone can be used by apps on an iPad.

But these are no directly GPS derived coordinates, hence lacking Infos like GPS timestamp, Quality Indicator, number of sats used, HDOP and a few more.

iOS or iPadOS "Core Location" API provides services that determine a device’s geographic location and altitude.
That framework gathers data using all available components on the device, including WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, magnetometer, barometer, and cellular hardware.
In short, then more data sources a device has access to, then more likely you have an accurate position.
These Core Location data provided by a tethered iPhone can be used by apps on an iPad.

But these are no directly GPS derived coordinates, hence lacking Infos like GPS timestamp, Quality Indicator, number of sats used, HDOP and a few more.
Break for dinner :)
Drone aquires the data needed from satellites not the iPhone/iPad. If "directly derived" co-ordinates were available on jPhone/iPad the drone wouldn't use them. For this member the iPhone/iPad GPS data would be sufficient
IMG_5881.jpg
(co-ordinates etc. can be viewed in DJI Go app post flight.
DHAC Ltd.

Last edited:
Drone aquires the data needed from satellites not the iPhone/iPad. If "directly derived" co-ordinates were available the drone wouldn't use them
This thread was never about drones and GPS. It was only about 'which iPad' (with or without Cellular)

Let the OP decide what he is going to use in the future.

• Wow
Reactions: DHAirbus
This thread was never about drones and GPS. It was only about 'which iPad' (with or without Cellular)
ever about drones and GPS. It was only about 'which iPad' (with or without Cellular)
"So, can you recommend an ipad that is best suited for the M2P? must have lost the thread.
:cool: 太久無法繼續

I have CrystalSky monitor with the PolarPro mount. The monitor with the DJI hood for it gives an amazing picture with an incredible picture for real control. If the budget allows for it, it's a much better way to go.

In my professional experience, I'd rather work with a smaller picture that is bright and clear, than an iPad who's screens are much harder to see in sunlit outdoors.

Last edited:
Msinger , I’m sure you meant IPad mini, not mavic mini. In either event, I use the mini 5 for m2p and love it, just wish I had gotten the cell version, w/o service for the gps. I want to use my m2p for fishing and it would return to the boat with proper settings. Big deal on the water.
home on the boat as apposed to home at the bottom!
Once I got to the 1080p stream of the m2p my mini 4 had processor over runs and heat issues

I have CrystalSky monitor with the PolarPro mount. The monitor with the DJI hood for it gives an amazing picture with an incredible picture for real control. If the budget allows for it, it's a much better way to go.

In my professional experience, I'd rather work with a smaller picture that is bright and clear, than an iPad who's screens are much harder to see in sunlit outdoors.
Agree 100%.Iwent from an Ipad Mini 4 to a Crystal Sky 7" and the brightness difference is very significant.

Another option is to use the DJI Smart Controller. It replaces the Mavic 2 Remote, has a great screen, boots up ready to fly. You can also use its HDMI out port to connect to an external monitor mounted with a THor Mount. The external monitor allows you to see a Camera View without the telemetry so you can see what your looking at on inspections and is very clear. I also have a six foot HDMI cable so the client (or supervisor/inspector) can view the monitor without looking over your shoulder. The external monitor "Feelworld FW-279" has 2200 Nits brightness (Brighter than the Crystal Sky Ultra-Bright and without overheating problems) and is cheaper. I use it at half brightness and it is plenty bright, but can be raised on a very sunny day.

1574874330403.jpeg

Another option is to use the DJI Smart Controller. It replaces the Mavic 2 Remote, has a great screen, boots up ready to fly. You can also use its HDMI out port to connect to an external monitor mounted with a THor Mount. The external monitor allows you to see a Camera View without the telemetry so you can see what your looking at on inspections and is very clear. I also have a six foot HDMI cable so the client (or supervisor/inspector) can view the monitor without looking over your shoulder. The external monitor "Feelworld FW-279" has 2200 Nits brightness (Brighter than the Crystal Sky Ultra-Bright and without overheating problems) and is cheaper. I use it at half brightness and it is plenty bright, but can be raised on a very sunny day.

View attachment 86674
Slick setup!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone