Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which one to buy?

Which one to buy?

• Mavic Air 1 (see below)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Mavic Pro 1 (see below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mavic Mini 2 Fly More Combo (see below)

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mavic Air 2 (see below)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Mavic Air 2S (see below)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
Found a new Mavic 2 pro (care refresh) with used remote and battery for 1100$. Is that a good buy?
I am not sure how great a deal that is, if its only the drone, remote and battery, with no other accessories. On the surface its not bad, if there is only 1 battery however, extras are around $150 each...

I am not sure how great a deal that is, if its only the drone, remote and battery, with no other accessories. On the surface its not bad, if there is only 1 battery however, extras are around $150 each...
Yeah I agree, unsure. Trying to barter it down a bit.

Not sure if Mavic 2 Pro is even worth it anymore though. Isn't the 2S better in all regards, for a similar price?

Ocusync 3 vs 2, same 1" sensor size, 5.4k vs 4k, 4k60 vs 4k30, etc.

Ok so I've narrowed it down to a few options, but I'm on the fence about them all. Too hard to pick, and all the info online seems to be split and mostly lowered to "it's a preference".

What I need and require:
Solid reliable signal to 1km. As good of a camera as possible, but I'm not a professional, so it doesn't HAVE to be the best (but better is always nice). I'm a student, so money is of course an issue. But I am prepared to spend more on a better drone, although it really comes down to "best bang for the buck".
I like to bring it on walks or when skiing. So temperatures might be low, but this is likely fine as my former Air 1 ran alright in the alps, and it had the narrow 0-40C recommendation. Portability is a plus, as is battery life and flying ability.
I'm good at repairing stuff, and could fix most problems myself. I've flown drones for 9 years now, mostly racing drones and ones without GPS. So while sensors are nice (and a plus), they aren't necessary.

Here are my options, and my thoughts on them:
Mavic Air 1 (Used) Fly More Combo @ 425$
Cheapest option. Good sensors, but old and only enhanced wifi. Bad battery life and unreliable signal.

Mavic Mini 2 (New) Fly More Combo @ 565$
New, which is always nice but no major deal. Solid signal with Ocusync 2.0, and lightweight. Good battery life.

Mavic Air 2 (Used) 1 battery @ 565$
Better than Mavic Mini 2, same benefits. Downside is single battery, and heavier.

Mavic Air 2 (Used) Fly More Combo @ 722$
Same as above, but more batteries. Although more expensive.

Mavic 2 Pro (Used) 1 battery @ 900$
Excellent drone, flagship model. Pretty darn expensive, and only one battery. Heavier than rest.

Air 2S (New) 1 battery @ 999$
Best model? Lighter weight than 2 Pro with better camera? . Only one battery, and very expensive. Nearly double price of Mini 2.

Would love some feedback here, I'm at a total standstill. Probably spent 30h+ researching, with no conclusions made.

Thanks for any tips and input. Please no "I like XXXXXX because it's good". Looking for real comparisons, all of DJI's models are good :)

You’re too analytical, like me [emoji848]
Whatever you get you’ll love flying it.
Air 1 is a fine aircraft, brother-in-law has one, wifi limits distance a little, but then you have VLOS rule common sense to follow anyway.
He could get a km, but needs to be more mindful of good signal LOS.
Obviously hiking with one = being lighter / smaller is better, having a few batteries, so flymore is ideal.
Mini / mini2 good, just a touch too lightweight to fly in windier conditions.
I’d go for an air2 flymore 2nd hand, good / better signal where light vegetation might exist, range, stability higher in wind, good camera for your needs, out there in reasonable numbers with people upgrading.
Keep an eye out here on the forum classifieds, a safer place to buy than eBay, facebook and the likes.
Bide your time for a good but fair deal, you have your FPV toys for the moment so make your mind up about the aircraft and stick with it, relax and await your deal.

You’re too analytical, like me [emoji848]
Whatever you get you’ll love flying it.
Air 1 is a fine aircraft, brother-in-law has one, wifi limits distance a little, but then you have VLOS rule common sense to follow anyway.
He could get a km, but needs to be more mindful of good signal LOS.
Obviously hiking with one = being lighter / smaller is better, having a few batteries, so flymore is ideal.
Mini / mini2 good, just a touch too lightweight to fly in windier conditions.
I’d go for an air2 flymore 2nd hand, good / better signal where light vegetation might exist, range, stability higher in wind, good camera for your needs, out there in reasonable numbers with people upgrading.
Keep an eye out here on the forum classifieds, a safer place to buy than eBay, facebook and the likes.
Bide your time for a good but fair deal, you have your FPV toys for the moment so make your mind up about the aircraft and stick with it, relax and await your deal.
Air 2 I'd have to buy at the standard going rate, as I need to buy it in the US the 3 weeks im visiting.

Going to see if I can afford an air2 fly more. If not, would Air 2 with 1 battery (used) be more worth than Mini 2 with fly more (New)?

Air 2 I'd have to buy at the standard going rate, as I need to buy it in the US the 3 weeks im visiting.

Going to see if I can afford an air2 fly more. If not, would Air 2 with 1 battery (used) be more worth than Mini 2 with fly more (New)?
A mini / Mini 2 flymore deal, the aircraft would be equally as satisfyingly for you I'm sure, just really watch wind at ground through to upper 400' / 120m levels, this little drones can have a hard time fighting wind, many have been blown away.

Not sure on the pricing, here in Australia if I search a DJI product, even typing US price, it always goes back to our DJI website and pricing.

Maybe a US based member can check and advise ?

Will any US purchased drone satisfy local Swedish regulations with CE / FCC modes ?

A mini / Mini 2 flymore deal, the aircraft would be equally as satisfyingly for you I'm sure, just really watch wind at ground through to upper 400' / 120m levels, this little drones can have a hard time fighting wind, many have been blown away.

Not sure on the pricing, here in Australia if I search a DJI product, even typing US price, it always goes back to our DJI website and pricing.

Maybe a US based member can check and advise ?

Will any US purchased drone satisfy local Swedish regulations with CE / FCC modes ?
Been checking ebay and classifieds here for those pricings, so should be accurate.

Regulations are kinda whatever. I fly in the middle of nowhere, so doesn't really bother anybody.

Ok, so went to the DJI store and felt all the drones. The Pro2/Zoom feel too heavy, quite bulky so would likely leave them at home too often.
Loved the weight of the Mini2. The Air2 was OK, but considerably heavier.
How huge is the difference between Air2 and Mini2 in terms of ability and quality?

I feel this way:
Mini2 has better weight, and roughly 20-25% cheaper (100-150$ less). Also would get it New, instead of Used. Warranty is worth something.

Air2 is (very/a bit/a little ?) better.

The Air2 will give you more chances to fly when the wind is a little risky for the Mini2.
Both will give you the ability to get good photos and video, you just need to learn the little idiosyncrasies of each one.

For what you want to do, I'd just bite the bullet on the Mini2 and get the smaller, lighter package.
I'm sure as time goes on you will look for a heavier, more wind stable drone, to use at other times, but the mini should serve you well for the lightweight travels / walking etc.

You will have to take into account wind, always try and fly out against the wind and have it bring you home, keep it low whenever possible or at least test upper wind levels as you ascend, be conservative with landing battery remaining.

Did you plan on getting the flymore with extra batteries ?
If you can get this initially it is the best value and gives ample time to get some good footage.

What really disappoints me is the flymore for both of these aircraft doesn't come with a car charger.
Most previous model DJI drones did with flymore, and it did give the opportunity to be in the air longer on road trips.
You can buy a genuine DJI one for the Air 2, but the Mini 2 doesn't even list one as an option, so not sure this is available aftermarket either, used with the 2 way charging hub.

The Air2 will give you more chances to fly when the wind is a little risky for the Mini2.
Both will give you the ability to get good photos and video, you just need to learn the little idiosyncrasies of each one.

For what you want to do, I'd just bite the bullet on the Mini2 and get the smaller, lighter package.
I'm sure as time goes on you will look for a heavier, more wind stable drone, to use at other times, but the mini should serve you well for the lightweight travels / walking etc.

You will have to take into account wind, always try and fly out against the wind and have it bring you home, keep it low whenever possible or at least test upper wind levels as you ascend, be conservative with landing battery remaining.

Did you plan on getting the flymore with extra batteries ?
If you can get this initially it is the best value and gives ample time to get some good footage.

What really disappoints me is the flymore for both of these aircraft doesn't come with a car charger.
Most previous model DJI drones did with flymore, and it did give the opportunity to be in the air longer on road trips.
You can buy a genuine DJI one for the Air 2, but the Mini 2 doesn't even list one as an option, so not sure this is available aftermarket either, used with the 2 way charging hub.

Pretty sure I could just charge via USB on the mini 2?

As for wind, no real issue. Recall the mini2 handling like the Air 1 with wind, right? Had an Air 1, was plenty of wind resistance.
Used to flying drones without GPS and light airplanes, so pretty much everything handles wind better haha

Pretty sure I could just charge via USB on the mini 2?

As for wind, no real issue. Recall the mini2 handling like the Air 1 with wind, right? Had an Air 1, was plenty of wind resistance.
Used to flying drones without GPS and light airplanes, so pretty much everything handles wind better haha

USB, yeah not sure but think that is right, the Mini too.

Wind, is the Mini 2 better than the Mini ?
The Crash / Flyaway section was littered with Mini blow aways early in it's release.
It definitely had power issues under pressure from the various losses and flight log analytics.

Now I haven't been back to the Crash section as much as I used to, not sure if the Mini and / or Mini 2 has issues, maybe that has been addressed by firmware updates, not sure.
Just watch the wind, goes for any drone too.

My brother-in-laws Air handles wind superbly, not quite as good as the larger Mavics, but almost.

USB, yeah not sure but think that is right, the Mini too.

Wind, is the Mini 2 better than the Mini ?
The Crash / Flyaway section was littered with Mini blow aways early in it's release.
It definitely had power issues under pressure from the various losses and flight log analytics.

Now I haven't been back to the Crash section as much as I used to, not sure if the Mini and / or Mini 2 has issues, maybe that has been addressed by firmware updates, not sure.
Just watch the wind, goes for any drone too.

My brother-in-laws Air handles wind superbly, not quite as good as the larger Mavics, but almost.

Yeah Mini 2 is better than Mini 1, think they greatly improved wind handling. It has the same class as the Air 2 if I recall correctly (although I don't believe that).

How big is the old Mavic Pro compared to the Air 2?
Quite a bit larger I believe?

Can get that for the same price as the Mini 2, but it's used and I think it would be too large. They didn't have it at the DJI shop, so couldn't take a look at it.

Certainly in the UK you can fly a mini 2 in more scenarios - built up areas etc. I have one and it is easy to carry due to size and perfectly adequate at 4k sensor.

How big is the old Mavic Pro compared to the Air 2?
Quite a bit larger I believe?

Yes, M1P is probably closer to (but not quite as big as) the M2P/Z.
Too big for your needs / wants, and it's obsolete now, batteries too, so not really the sort of purchase to make regardless.

Mini2 seems ideal for you, preferably the flymore deal.

I am in the same boat I can't make my mind up between the MM2 or the Air2s. Not bothered on the price difference. I'm leaning.toward the Air2s but my only concern is having to take the A2cofc to be able to fly it legally. Anyone in the U.K got any advice.

I've been pretty happy with my MA2 flymore combo, but gotta admit it's my first drone. Nice video, easy to fly, no complaints. Did add the Firehouse strobe to help keep an eye on it. I'd probably get it again if I had to replace it tomorrow. PS: Flying in southern Arizona.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom