DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which phone as a stand alone monitor

Archie 851

Reactions
Hello all,
Hopefully I have posted this in the right section for the best response, so I have recently been having problems linking my phone/app to the drone camera and after nearly returning the drone as faulty I discovered the problem to be the phone and also the tablet that I have been using
I am now looking to buy a phone/tablet purely for viewing the camera/video footage, obviously I am not wanting to spend a small fortune so can anyone recommend a budget phone that works well with the various apps

So when you transfer the files to a PC the footage is good? What do you use to fly the drone?

I use an iPad mini 4 to fly and look at the footage on location. It was a refurb with no GPS or cellular. Just WiFi. I didn't want to spend a fortune, but that is a good solution for me. However, if you are flying the Mavic Air 2, there are some issues as to what works and what doesn't currently.

Make sure you link the phone to the controller with a good quality cable. There is no point skimping on that.

I have used my Huawei tablet that cost £100 to play back videos by copying the files from the card to the tablet memory. The card readers are too slow to play directly. That worked fine. The tablet can't fly the drone as it keeps crashing for some reason but it's more than capable of copying files to and showing to people.

I think the key here is that cheaper tablets will play the files, but you need to transfer the files to them in order to do so. Playing direct from a card reader or the drone via cable isn't going to work. An expensive phone or tablet will fly the drone AND you can look at, even edit the footage. But you are asking about budgets options, and this might be your solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archie 851
Yeah, a little more info please as it is confusing.

Do you mean during flying you can't see the video?
Or do you mean after flying trying to playback the video you are having the problem?

Or something else?

Perhaps post which drone and which phone and tablet you've tried, that may help us see the problem.

Greekislandlover, thanks very much for your fast reply, I was doing everything from my current phone, the Sony xz2 and everything was good regards to the quality of capture and playback etc.
I didn't really give much thought to the problems that using a cheaper phone might bring. As regards to transfer to pc I use the drone sd card and card reader so the phone would be purely to fly the drone and view the footage in flight

Yeah, a little more info please as it is confusing.

Do you mean during flying you can't see the video?
Or do you mean after flying trying to playback the video you are having the problem?

Or something else?

Perhaps post which drone and which phone and tablet you've tried, that may help us see the problem.
Dakarenduro I have the MP1 platinum and I have been flying and editing everything with my Sony Xperia xz2. I have recently had problems with a grey screen on connection between the AC, RC and any app i have tried, I think the problem was caused by a magnetic phone charger that I was using, so i was looking for something that would fly the drone successfully

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU