DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which photo modes do you shoot ?

John_Howard3105

Reactions
Hi everyone
I’ve had my MA2 for a couple of weeks now and am trying to get familiar with the camera modes for photos. Which do you use ? I have mostly used AEB so far then merged to HDR in lightroom after, mostly because I’ve seen people on YouTube do this. Should I be using the 48MP or Smart photo modes instead ? What do you think ?

You need to shoot HDR only if the scene has very high contrast. Very often a single RAW image already gives sufficient room for editing. I will say Smart mode is good for most cases as it automatically applies HDR and hyperlight as needed . Forget about 48 Mp. The image is darker, dynamic range is smaller and the noise is higher.

Some people just don't want other people to like the 48Mp mode. Yes, it's a little darker. That's why they make things like exposure compensation and shutter speed adjustments. (Some experiments have also shown it has slightly more detail.)

Other people complain that it's not really 48Mp because it's a quad Bayer sensor, but there really are 48 million pixels. The colors are just laid out differently.

Why worry about what other people think? Go out and shoot properly exposed photos with the different modes and see what your eyes like. If it looks good to you, what difference does it make what mode you used to shoot it?

Yes, it's a little darker. That's why they make things like exposure compensation and shutter speed adjustments.

It's not just darker, in the sample photos given above , the dynamic range is obviously poorer. Can you compensate for that by dialling in more exposure ?

More details ? yes, but more noise as well. If you apply noise reduction, the additional details will be wiped out so you dont get any more details at the end.

100% crop of 48 MP photo, JPEG out of the camera, ISO100

48mp noise cropped.jpg

12 MP 100% crop , same exposure settings

12mp noise cropped.jpg

For me, 48 MP is just a gimmick.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
So, do you suggest to shoot in 12MP Smart mode?

Is any way to activate HyperLight or is done automatically in Smart Mode?

thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu