DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which sensors to disable for hand launching and catching?

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi

I've always taken off from and landed on flat terrain.

However the place I want to film has none so will try hand launching and catching.

So what sensors should be disabled?

Thanks

If you're hand launching & catching you don't have to turn anything off. The "landing protection" prevents you from making a hard landing into the ground.

Reactions: Bunraku
If you want to fly faster in Standard P-GPS mode you can disable the forward obstacle avoidance sensors though.

If you don’t want the Mavic trying to lift back up off your hand, then simply turn off the downward vision sensors prior to hand catching. The setting is in advanced, (second screen in VPS.)

Last edited:
Reactions: AClineman
If you don’t want the Mavic trying to lift back up off your hand. Then simply turn of the downward vision sensors prior to hand catching. The setting is in advanced, (second screen in VPS.)

This ^^^^

I had an issue where it went into Atti Mode and I didn’t have any sensors disabled. It was in a tight space and heading for the house so I reached up from underneath and grabbed it. It must have recognized my hand as something to avoid and went full speed taking me up 10’ and about 20’ away before I was able to pull back for 3 seconds and shutting down.

Ok the picking me up part was just for fun :D but you get the idea, without disabling the downward sensor it will try to pull away violently.

Turn off Landing Protection. That’s the only sensor you need to turn off. That just prevents inexperienced pilots from slamming their craft into the ground on landings.

Reactions: HNMavic
You dont have to turn off your vision sensors, just turn off landing protection.

I've never turned off any sensors & ALWAYS hand catch. Just face the Mavic away from you hold your hand out flat then land as normal - works every time.

Landing protection. Then it wont fight you when you grab it. Its safer than the "let it see your hand then come down towards it" method because you dont have a thing with spinning props descending towards your hand.

You CAN it with landing protection on but it fights for a few seconds so lots of noise and may not be great for the motors.

Reactions: dewster
No need to disable any of them, just let it land on your hand.
This guy does it like a boss, though flipping your hand is more flashy than functional.
=

I did several hand landings with my new Mavic Pro yesterday and didn't turn off anything. I had all sensors and obstacle avoidance on. All I had to do was pull down on the stick and it landed in my hand and my nephew's hand just fine. I even had him catch it on an auto landing with no issues.

Don't turn off any sensors. Just let it hover where you can grasp it in front of the downward sensors and then apply down stick to turn off the motors. I prefer this to trying to land on my hand because I feel that I have more control over the operation. This video shows it well:

Reactions: Blucenturion
If you don’t want the Mavic trying to lift back up off your hand, then simply turn off the downward vision sensors prior to hand catching. The setting is in advanced, (second screen in VPS.)
Turning off Landing Protection seems like a better option to me.

Turning off Landing Protection seems like a better option to me.
True, I suppose.
I just got into the habit of turning off the downward sensors because I was almost always around/ flying over water when I hand launched/landed, and I always felt safer over water with them off.

Just a side note, if you are used to the Landing Protection being on, and you turn it off, its very easy to slam your aircraft into the ground. Its because you get used to it automatically slowing down for landing, no matter how hard to pull down on the stick.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000