DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whitby, Steam Train

EXCELLENT Good train shots a trifle close but never mind . The viaduct is obviously an old train line?

Good work - and if you are like me, you'll find that the video production side is as much fun as the flying ...
Just a couple of tips:
1) Your vid's are a bit over exposed. Have a look at a few YouTube videos about turning on and using the 'histogram' to get your exposure balanced a bit more - and I also find it useful to have the exposure indicating 'zebra stripes' turned on (i.e. if you are over exposed, you'll see it immediately on the Go 4 screen).
2) Have a look at some more YouTube's about setting your flight and gimbal controls to make the movement of the drone a bit more cinematic. You can tell that you are trying to get nice gentle movement, but the controls are just too coarse!
3) Be careful where you fly! I'm pretty sure that flying over or near a train incurs the same 'Drone Code' clearance requirements as for flying over people & property i.e. 50 metres over, around, & beside. I recently heard of a photography competition winner who was disqualified and reported to the police when it was stated that his photo of a train was taken by a drone - simply because the drone was too close to the train when the photo was taken!

Good work - and if you are like me, you'll find that the video production side is as much fun as the flying ...
Just a couple of tips:
1) Your vid's are a bit over exposed. Have a look at a few YouTube videos about turning on and using the 'histogram' to get your exposure balanced a bit more - and I also find it useful to have the exposure indicating 'zebra stripes' turned on (i.e. if you are over exposed, you'll see it immediately on the Go 4 screen).
2) Have a look at some more YouTube's about setting your flight and gimbal controls to make the movement of the drone a bit more cinematic. You can tell that you are trying to get nice gentle movement, but the controls are just too coarse!
3) Be careful where you fly! I'm pretty sure that flying over or near a train incurs the same 'Drone Code' clearance requirements as for flying over people & property i.e. 50 metres over, around, & beside. I recently heard of a photography competition winner who was disqualified and reported to the police when it was stated that his photo of a train was taken by a drone - simply because the drone was too close to the train when the photo was taken!
Thanks, I have seen these videos but not sure how to set these setting just yet. I will persevere and hopefully improve. thanks for your comments foxhallGH

Yes a little too close but very nice video, need to watch your exposure though.
That's a point doe's anyone know how close we are aloud to get to trains and railway lines ??????

I don't want to be drone police or a spoilsport. But there are many places on the web where it confirms that you actually apparently are not allowed to fly over trains or tracks or near tracks in the UK.
This from Network rail site:

Drones and the railway
It is illegal to fly a drone on or near the railway if you are not certified and trained to carry out flights commercially. You will need to contact the Air Operations team if you have any projects that require you to fly near to our infrastructure.

If a train collided with a drone, it could cause a serious accident.

A drone could fly into and damage vital equipment – such as overhead wires or pylons – costing thousands to repair and causing hours of train delays. And a drone falling from the sky – malfunctioning or out of power – could hit a member of public or our staff, and cause serious injury or death.

Safety
You must not fly a drone anywhere near the railway unless you have liaised with Air Operations – it could result in a serious accident.
It can be a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 150 metres of the track in built up areas.
You could be taken to court and face a penalty of up to £2,500.

Flying alongside the train over the river would be OK there.
In the70s we used to do school cross country running over the viaduct, there were still sleepers in the track bed but no rails.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000