DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

White ceiling detection

rddl

Reactions
Hello,

I tested the sensors in my living room with care.
The ceiling is white, and the Air3 does not detect it.
It does detect other objects.

I can only suppose this is a normal behavior, could you confirm ?

How close to the ceiling is the drone?
As a test put your hand etc. above the upward looking sensor, say by 1 or 2 ft, when the drone is hovering.
Does the drone register your hand?
Be careful with such a test, with the Mavic 2 Pro such a test would/will force the drone to descend. BTW the M2p sees a white ceiling.

Well, it does detect the white ceiling : I must use the brake action, not the avoid action (security settings) (not sure my translation into English is good !)

Hello,
I can only suppose this is a normal behavior, could you confirm ?
See page 57 of your manual.

The vision systems cannot work properly near surfaces without clear pattern variations or where the light is too weak or too strong.
The vision systems cannot work properly in the following situations:
a. Flying near monochrome surfaces (e.g., pure black, white, red, or green).
b. Flying near highly reflective surfaces.
c. Flying near water or transparent surfaces.
d. Flying near moving surfaces or objects.
e. Flying in an area with frequent and drastic lighting changes.
f. Flying near extremely dark (< 10 lux) or bright (> 40,000 lux) surfaces.
g. Flying near surfaces that strongly reflect or absorb infrared waves (e.g., mirrors).
h. Flying near surfaces without clear patterns or textures.
i. Flying near surfaces with repeating identical patterns or textures (e.g., tiles with the same design).
j. Flying near obstacles with small surface areas (e.g., tree branches and power lines

Doesn't see. It senses
A rose by any other name smalls as sweet. Is vision not a form of sensing?
I'd guess you understood my meaning and since this is a international forum which includes people for whom English is not their mother tongue, conveying the meaning of what I meant was my primary focus. I think "sees" adequately did that but perhaps I should have enclosed it in single quotation marks, my mistake.

Reactions: Poogan
A rose by any other name smalls as sweet. Is vision not a form of sensing?
I'd guess you understood my meaning and since this is a international forum which includes people for whom English is not their mother tongue, conveying the meaning of what I meant was my primary focus. I think "sees" adequately did that but perhaps I should have enclosed it in single quotation marks, my mistake.
Understood but since the m2 uses vision in all directions except for up which uses a lidar sensor. So just trying to avoid confusion

m2 uses vision in all directions except for up which uses a lidar sensor
Hmmm that's an interesting point, I've never thought about that ... there's only that red lens/lens-cover........ but doesn't the downward looking sensor also have an Infra Red emitter? I've never worked out what acts as the receiver for the presumed return, lol.

Hmmm that's an interesting point, I've never thought about that ... there's only that red lens/lens-cover........ but doesn't the downward looking sensor also have an Infra Red emitter? I've never worked out what acts as the receiver for the presumed return, lol.
What I've seen is that is uses infra red as downward obstacle sensing and the vision sensors are used for positioning

What I've seen is that is uses infra red as downward obstacle sensing and the vision sensors are used for positioning
It may be due to differing use of terminology/words but I don't think the downwards looking sensor is intended as 'obstacle' sensing as such, rather I think it is "the ground or something is a getting a bit too close for comfort" sensing .... hmmm .... 🤔 though I suppose it amounts to the same thing.

It may be due to differing use of terminology/words but I don't think the downwards looking sensor is intended as 'obstacle' sensing as such, rather I think it is "the ground or something is a getting a bit too close for comfort" sensing .... hmmm .... 🤔 though I suppose it amounts to the same thing.
To quote you, a rose by any other name...

Arguably, the ground is an obstacle, and the downward sensing system does try and avoid crashing into it, eh? 😉

Of course, to your point it is a special kind of obstacle, and a "bypass" setting would be rather tough to implement 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Mrprop365
To quote you, a rose by any other name...

Arguably, the ground is an obstacle, and the downward sensing system does try and avoid crashing into it, eh? 😉

Of course, to your point it is a special kind of obstacle, and a "bypass" setting would be rather tough to implement 😁
Not at all. The latest Mavic 3 update allows just that. With the sensors off, you fly in pure ATTI mode.

Not at all. The latest Mavic 3 update allows just that. With the sensors off, you fly in pure ATTI mode.
Are you sure about that?
I'm pretty sure that's not true.
We'd have heard a lot more about it if it was.
Atti mode requires a lot more than switching obstacle avoidance sensors off.
It requires switching off horizontal position holding ability.
It's several years since DJI produced a consumer drone that allowed the flyer to fly in Atti Mode.

Are you sure about that?
I'm pretty sure that's not true.
We'd have heard a lot more about it if it was.
Atti mode requires a lot more than switching obstacle avoidance sensors off.
It requires switching off horizontal position holding ability.
It's several years since DJI produced a consumer drone that allowed the flyer to fly in Atti Mode.
Yes, I tried it right after the update. My first experience with ATTI. BUT, having read quite a bit about it, I was somewhat prepared. No stop, no hold, I didn't like it much. I also slowly, but faster than landing speed, descended to about 6 inches from the ground. It never even hinted at slowing until I gave it up input. I much prefer GPS assistance. BUT I now know to not fear it, but respect and take it easy. ATTI may not be my friend, but it isn't my enemy, either. 😇

Any sensor has problems "seeing" obstacles when there is no difference in contrast.
Ceilings of any colour but a flat monochrome surface is not detected fast enough.
Also camera auto-focus will search for focus when there is no area with a different contrast.
Ruud

Yes, I tried it right after the update. My first experience with ATTI. BUT, having read quite a bit about it, I was somewhat prepared. No stop, no hold, I didn't like it much. I also slowly, but faster than landing speed, descended to about 6 inches from the ground. It never even hinted at slowing until I gave it up input. I much prefer GPS assistance. BUT I now know to not fear it, but respect and take it easy. ATTI may not be my friend, but it isn't my enemy, either. 😇
I'm still doubtful, I'm sure we'd have heard all about it if DJI made Atti Mode available.
If you actually had atti mode, the landing wouldn't be the thing you'd talk about.
Horizontal flight is where you'd see a big difference.
Have you ever flown a Phantom?
DJI only offered user-selectable Atti Mode in the Phantom series.

How do you enable it since the controller doesn't have an Atti setting?
There's no mention of anything like Atti Mode in the release notes for the last update:

I'd be interested in seeing some flight data that shows flying in atti mode.

Last edited:
My Mavic Pro will fly in Atti mode indoors when connecting to GPS is impossible.
This happens automatically when GPS is lost during a flight under a solid obstacle such as a bridge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini