DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

White Mountains New Hampshire: Columbus Day

There was some confusion the first time I posted this because it got posted in multiple forums and got taken down, but we cleared that up so reposting.

Shot with Mavic 2 Pro, Polar Pro Cinematic ND filters. I'd appreciate any feedback, good, bad, indifferent.

Most footage taken from the Kangamangus Highway.

Your colours look a little washed out in places.

Did you film in Normal profile or in the DLOG-M profile (for max dynamic range) and Colour Grade afterwards (eg apply a LUT)?

Did you film in the middle of the day or in Golden Hour?

Your colours look a little washed out in places.

Did you film in Normal profile or in the DLOG-M profile (for max dynamic range) and Colour Grade afterwards (eg apply a LUT)?

Did you film in the middle of the day or in Golden Hour?
Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated. Color grading / correction is definitely an area I need more work on and not something I do well.

I always film in DLOG-M and I apply the DJI DLog-M to Rec709 LUT before starting my color grading / correction. I do not apply an artistic LUT after the basic one (well outside my league at this time)

We spend the day going across the White Mountains, so it was filmed during the middle of the day whenever we hit a vantage point. I do know that for the optimal look, golden hour would have been preferred, but with 3 kinds in the back seat, that wasn't an option on this trip.

Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated. Color grading / correction is definitely an area I need more work on and not something I do well.

I always film in DLOG-M and I apply the DJI DLog-M to Rec709 LUT before starting my color grading / correction. I do not apply an artistic LUT after the basic one (well outside my league at this time)

We spend the day going across the White Mountains, so it was filmed during the middle of the day whenever we hit a vantage point. I do know that for the optimal look, golden hour would have been preferred, but with 3 kinds in the back seat, that wasn't an option on this trip.
Colour grading is tough and I’m amateur, so I really struggled. In the end, I bought myself a Cinematic LUTs pack from FilmPoets. Best thing I ever did.

how strong was the ND filter? I haven't used them yet but was it too high (dark)? with all the post adjusting your doing, I would film samples using different amounts of ND and apply the post processing to all to see what works best. Maybe it's the resolution it's posted at on the web?

I thought you did a really nice job. As others have mentioned, your colors looked a little washed out. You might have needed a stronger ND filter. I'm not an expert but the freeway looks overexposed around 0:55. The landscape was amazing, the flight looked very peaceful.....which I really enjoyed.

I thought you did a really nice job. As others have mentioned, your colors looked a little washed out. You might have needed a stronger ND filter. I'm not an expert but the freeway looks overexposed around 0:55. The landscape was amazing, the flight looked very peaceful.....which I really enjoyed.
You may wish to visit the “Drone Film Guide” YouTube channel and watch his video on ND Filters.

To summarise, in video an ND filters does not fixed washed out colours. The ONLY thing that ND filters do is slow the shudder speed to increase motion blur.

You may wish to visit the “Drone Film Guide” YouTube channel and watch his video on ND Filters.

To summarise, in video an ND filters does not fixed washed out colours. The ONLY thing that ND filters do is slow the shudder speed to increase motion blur.
Sorry, those were two thoughts...the colors look washed out. That can be fixed in post production with color grading. Second, the highway looks overexposed. A polarized ND filter helps with that...correct?

Sorry, those were two thoughts...the colors look washed out. That can be fixed in post production with color grading. Second, the highway looks overexposed. A polarized ND filter helps with that...correct?
Sorry, I can’t really say re the Polarisation filter. They have more uses than ND filters.

Did you watch the ND Filter video on the Drone Film Guide? It’s excellent and very easy to understand. By the end of the video, you’ll be a guru with ND filters :)

Sorry, I can’t really say re the Polarisation filter. They have more uses than ND filters.

Did you watch the ND Filter video on the Drone Film Guide? It’s excellent and very easy to understand. By the end of the video, you’ll be a guru with ND filters :)

I did go back and watch the video. It was helpful, thanks. My ND filters are polarized so they help deal with over exposure in bright conditions....if think. Trying to learn about the drone itself, various laws and regulations, photography, videography and editing/post production all at the same time leads to information overload since I had zero experience with any of those things prior to buy my MA2 in July.

I did go back and watch the video. It was helpful, thanks. My ND filters are polarized so they help deal with over exposure in bright conditions....if think. Trying to learn about the drone itself, various laws and regulations, photography, videography and editing/post production all at the same time leads to information overload since I had zero experience with any of those things prior to buy my MA2 in July.
There is a lot to learn! Keep with it though, as I can see that you’re improving. Your Ohio Stadium video is considerably better than your first video (O’Shaughnessy Dam).

Polarizing filters don’t really deal with over exposure. Their primary use is eliminating surface reflection from water so the camera can see into the water if clear. If you are concerned about over exposure, close down your aperture.

You have a combination of washed out / over exposed and over saturated (look down). I don't think shooting in DLOG-M did you any favors

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair