DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who flies beyond line of sight?

vlos-hold-ma-beer.jpg

I love exploring with my M2, and it’s typically lakes and woods so when I’m not VLOS it’s over open water or forest. About 2 miles out is my average max.

Yeah I guess we all do it a bit. Over open water or forest, I can do a mile before I get nervous and head back. When I hear the rotors coming back, I feel better.

I have operated it nearly 3 miles away during the day time, under the height limits here in US. Only thing I had to contend with was a flock of Canadian geese. Flooding in Nebraska and this was only way to see water levels.

Attachments

• 0510D3FF-DC39-4DD8-973B-889C3DB4D831.jpeg
    0510D3FF-DC39-4DD8-973B-889C3DB4D831.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 78
  • BF0EBDD0-03D5-49C4-BFEB-9D967DFF590B.jpeg
    BF0EBDD0-03D5-49C4-BFEB-9D967DFF590B.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 78
We’ve all prolly had an “I wonder how far moment”........ this past hunting season in Al, over open forest, I went west @ 390ft almost 3 miles before it RTH. But no more.......

I never see my drone after about 30 seconds from takeoff. The CASA rules in Australia say it must be flown visually and not by looking at a screen. Who does that?? I am in correspondence with CASA challenging some of their regulations, such as this one. On the weekend I was photographing sailing boats 3 km out to sea. It is far safer to be looking at my smart phone screen than trying to figure out where it is, and how are you supposed to line-up a photo without looking at a screen? Here are a few pics for those who are interested.Start F690.jpgCrush 2.jpg

I'll be honest and fess up. I rarely look at the drone beyond the first and last minute of its flight.
I use my Mavic Pro almost exclusively for mapping surveys. I design the flight pattern in the office sometimes days before, then go fly it. If there are trees about then it's out of sight almost immediately. If there are no trees about then its VLOS until I can't see it any more but, more likely, I'm already monitoring on the map anyway because I know I'm going to lose sight of it any second and that map and the dispaly are giving me more information than I could get from eyes alone, so, realistically, I'm not looking from the moment it starts flying the pattern. Then I don't get to see it for 15 - 20 minutes unless it either finishes the mission or comes back hungry for more batteries. I do monitor it fairly intently on the map to see how it's doing and I am very conscious where the RTH button is if things dont look so good.
If it couldn't do this then the thing's in the bin. This is what this drone does for a living. Fortunately, most of the flying is over fairly undeveloped territory but not always.
Frankly, I am a bit perplexed that the software capabilities that make the drone so valuable are so completely out of whack with the regulations. I suspect that the great majority of farmers, surveyors and the like, who are flying survey patterns, they never watch the drone, or it would be of no earthly use to them.
Just being honest.

took me 9 weeks after i got the mavic before my first sucesfull flight. that was year ago and now i still just go staight up and straight down. if i am feeling adventuaous ill do a orbit. maybe after i flash my sam 8"s-2 tablet to lineage os and can reconnect with more dependability ill get braver! for now i am happy with what i can do. and of course i never color out side the lines.

I like long-range flights, as my signature indicates.

On one occasion, I had the opportunity to push my Phantom up through the fog.

clouds.png

Reactions: Guarf
LOS? in all honesty I would say everyone flies beyond LOS. How cat you not? Trees, corners, buildings and most flights are 1/2 mile or more. Be real nobody adhere to this rule especially with the small MA or Spark which are visible for about 30 feet. What's next people not texting and driving?

Something I determined several years ago. If you are walking out the back door of the electronics store in the middle of the night carrying a television (after jimmying the lock) and the cops say “drop the tv”, your answer should be “what tv”.
An attorney friend once told me, “I had a great case, until he opened his mouth”.
In conclusion, I’m not saying.

Reactions: grendeljaeger
DJI knows I have gone nearly 3 miles out from take off point and back. If I only wanted to fly as far as I could see it I have a lot of less costly ones that do that. Maybe I followed it in my truck just to keep an eye on it.

Stunning photos and I absolutely agree. Our rules in Aus are ridiculous.
I never see my drone after about 30 seconds from takeoff. The CASA rules in Australia say it must be flown visually and not by looking at a screen. Who does that?? I am in correspondence with CASA challenging some of their regulations, such as this one. On the weekend I was photographing sailing boats 3 km out to sea. It is far safer to be looking at my smart phone screen than trying to figure out where it is, and how are you supposed to line-up a photo without looking at a screen? Here are a few pics for those who are interested.View attachment 67164View attachment 67167

I must admit to being a chicken, I don't fly out of VLOS but not just because of the rules but because I don't feel confident enough in my skills yet. I started useing a Moverio bt 300 and as I gain confidence I may put strobes on her(mavic 2 z) and push my limits but at this point I'm still having a great time and staying VLOS.

From what I searched the CREE Strobon may be the brightest. It would certainly help.
Check out the firehouse LEDs there Absolutely brighter then the cree. The ones I have, have 4leds not 2 on the board. There a little pricey but we'll worth the price IMO..(36$ a piece) I BOUGHT RED, GREEN AND WHITE TO SHOW ORIENTATION of my Mavic 2. They can be seen 3 miles at night and at least 1 Mile away during the day. Amazing lights. I use regular Velcro to attach to different spots of the mavic. I Bought them on Amazon.. check then out.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_