DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who has has the guts to take it to the max.

Took my P3S to 15500 and still had full control and video in the country but in a city setting it's kicked in plenty of times. Works good. But first time I lost signal and RTH kicked in it was a little scary.

I've flown a relatively short distance across the fields by me (approx 200m) then switched off the RC to simulate a LOS. Watched as the drone hesitated, then ascended to RTH altitude, came back and landed perfectly within a few cm of where it took off. An interesting experiment with the controller switched off.

I've also flown a couple of Litchi missions with the controller switched off (after starting the mission normally ;)) and they worked fine as well.

I've more confidence now to fly long distance.

RTH button = lazy man's way to call the quad back. :D
Trust in the RTH button. ;)Thumbswayup

Not what we are talking about. We are talking about going as far as you can until your remote doesn’t communicate anymore. At this point the drone will return to home on its own. You do not use the return to home button. As clearly stated above.

Youser you say "every time" and "always" but you lost the mavic so perhaps not EVERY time eh? And "always until the last time"?! If it fails one in 20 we need to know

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I drive a truck so the mavic was a very big investment for me. Don’t wanna lose it.

I've flown a relatively short distance across the fields by me (approx 200m) then switched off the RC to simulate a LOS. Watched as the drone hesitated, then ascended to RTH altitude, came back and landed perfectly within a few cm of where it took off. An interesting experiment with the controller switched off.

I've also flown a couple of Litchi missions with the controller switched off (after starting the mission normally ;)) and they worked fine as well.

I've more confidence now to fly long distance.

That was the other thing I was going to ask. Just to test that the drone will do what it’s supposed to when it loses all signal with RC. Maybe I’ll have to try it just so I have the confidence when flying around.

Just stay there in the States and do your crazy stunts and do not come to Aus and have our country shut down as it is over there

I don't know about Aus, but here in the States, we do allow idiots and children to fly these things. And they call this having guts?

Not really sure what that implies?
Maybe he is saying that in Aus, people tend to fly legally, and responsibly, and stuff? And that if too many people did what many do here, they would be shut down. Of course that could never happen here in the states, because drone pilots are held in such high regard. Right?

Reactions: JamesA and Big Jon
Youser you say "every time" and "always" but you lost the mavic so perhaps not EVERY time eh? And "always until the last time"?! If it fails one in 20 we need to know

Well, that time RTH did work after signal loss and then I did fly back manually after reconnecting. Problem was headwind and then the battery died before it reached me.

Does that count as a fail? :)

Down at my property in West Virginia, we simulated this by turning off the controller. I wanted to do it in wide open rural area that I could have easy access to it if it went down. But each time, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. Up to rth height, and then initiated return to home.
It's happened once in real time.
I'm pretty confident now when I lose connection again that it will do what I programmed it to do.

I'm sure I'll never win any distance awards. I can live with that

New kid here. Just got my Mavic for Christmas. I have flown mini drones, inside, but this is my first real drone. I saved up half, and parents gave me the other half.
Just a couple flights so far. I have been keeping it very close to me. What will it do if you fly so far you loose signal, and you can not see it and it wont RTH? Will I be able to find it?
My parents are wanting me to be a good responsible drone pilot. If I loose it, they probably won't help me buy another one. And it will take a lot of yard mowing to do it on my own.
Thanks.

Just stay there in the States and do your crazy stunts and do not come to Aus and have our country shut down as it is over there

this is exactly right. you want more regulations & tighter flight restrictions? this is how to get them. there are plenty of UAS unfriendly politicians out there that want nothing more than to ground us all. this is just fuel for nancy pelosi's quadcopter bon fire.

Reactions: anderb
New kid here. Just got my Mavic for Christmas. I have flown mini drones, inside, but this is my first real drone. I saved up half, and parents gave me the other half.
Just a couple flights so far. I have been keeping it very close to me. What will it do if you fly so far you loose signal, and you can not see it and it wont RTH? Will I be able to find it? It will take me a long time of mowing yards to get another.
Thanks.

Make sure your return to home setting is correct for your mission. Also make sure home point is updated. is set to rth. And make sure your rth height is correct for that flight. Mine is set typically to rth with signal loss. You could also choose for it to hover if it lost signal.

Make sure your return to home setting is correct for your mission. Also make sure home point is updated. is set to rth. And make sure your rth height is correct for that flight. Mine is set typically to rth with signal loss. You could also choose for it to hover if it lost signal.
Thanks. Some of the stories here make it seem like it might not do what I set up. Has that ever happened? If it does not do what I programmed, what will it do? How can I find it? And parents want me to ask will it be safe? I'm sorry, about that, but I guess they are new to this too. And I guess it is kind of half theirs.

Just a couple flights so far. I have been keeping it very close to me. What will it do if you fly so far you loose signal, and you can not see it and it wont RTH? Will I be able to find it?
My parents are wanting me to be a good responsible drone pilot. If I loose it, they probably won't help me buy another one. And it will take a lot of yard mowing to do it on my own.
Thanks.
what nice parents you have:)
try to keep it in sight and it will have the best signal (no trees or buildings in the way to block the signal)
check you have set you RTH high enough to clear anything between the drone and home point.
take off and wait for the home point has been established promt. before flying up and away.
stay in beginner mode till you are confident as this will limit you range.
you probably got a quick start guide in the box but download the FULL dji mavic pro manual and study it carefully.
any questions come back and ask or search your problem in the search bar (spyglass) don't think we can help with "how do I tell dad my drones gone"
good luck and take it easy.

Reactions: Big Jon
Thanks. Some of the stories here make it seem like it might not do what I set up. Has that ever happened? If it does not do what I programmed, what will it do? How can I find it? And parents want me to ask will it be safe? I'm sorry, about that, but I guess they are new to this too. And I guess it is kind of half theirs.
As long as u wait for the "homepoint has been recorded lady" to shout that out u will be good also set your rth higher then any trees and buildings around u. Also that setting for loss of signal will always be st to "return to home" the only time you want to change that is if you are flying in a forest and you lose signal you can set it to "hover" or if you are a little ways out and you want to manually land it somewhere (low battery wont make it home/emergency) you know you are going to lose signal and don't want it to return home because you are landing far away set it to "Landing" otherwise it will always return home to you and if God forbid it doesn't then you can use the feature " find my drone" in the app it will give you the last recorded gps coordinates.... also for best signal make sure your antennas are straight up and down spaced evenly apart you want the long part of the antennas to face the drone so like this "l l " not "/ /" not "- -" ......basically straight up so signal hits the drone at all times, the only time you want them to be straight down like the last option - - is if its directly above

Last edited:
As long as u wait for the "homepoint has been recorded lady" to shout that out u will be good also set your rth higher then any trees and buildings around u. Also that setting for loss of signal will always be st to "return to home" the only time you want to change that is if you are flying in a forest and you lose signal you can set it to "hover" or if you are a little ways out and you want to manually land it somewhere (low battery wont make it home/emergency) you know you are going to lose signal and don't want it to return home because you are landing far away set it to "Landing" otherwise it will always return home to you and if God forbid it doesn't then you can use the feature " find my drone" in the app it will give you the last recorded gps coordinates.... also for best signal make sure your antennas are straight up and down spaced evenly apart you want the long part of the antennas to face the drone so like this "l l " not "/ /" not "- -" ......basically straight up so signal hits the drone at all times, the only time you want them to be straight down like the last option - - is if its directly above

Thanks. Sounds good to me. I've read the manual like four times. But I am not sure I can remember it all, yet. I still have a couple questions.
Why set it to hover in a forest?
Do they ever fail to do what I will program it to do?
Where do I get the find my drone app?

I wish they hadn't titled this about who has the guts? It made it sound dangerous, or something.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Might pay to invest in something like a Trackimo 3G

Best 3G GPS Tracker Devices - Trackimo

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15