DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who makes the chips for DJI Drones?

Chaosrider

Reactions
My searches for this today have mostly turned up unrelated crap.

Do any of you know who makes the chips for DJI drones?

Thx

Reactions: mark.pinskey
Maybe SMIC 🤷‍♂️ or a few others.

Maybe SMIC 🤷‍♂️ or a few others.
Perhaps.

I just did a fairly substantial web search on that question, but I couldn't find anything definitive. Mostly old stuff that might not be relevant today.

I think I'll go fly my FPV before they come to confiscate it...

;-)

TCS

Even if I knew , im pretty sure I would end up being pushed off a cliff , caught by a branch and hanging upside down under water .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and keep the Ancient Chinese Secrets.

• Haha
Reactions: db4476
May have something to do with cost. With the quantities that DJI is using to build all these flying cameras, they probably do a bit of shopping.

My searches for this today have mostly turned up unrelated crap.

Do any of you know who makes the chips for DJI drones?

Thx
It is only a matter of time when DJI will be banned from US Sales. It is time that drone enthusiasts start looking elsewhere. The US Department of defense has just blacklisted DJI…..

Now is the time for US based manufacturers to step up to the plate and offer the great technology that DJI is offering. This includes everything from ease of flight to advanced sensors which protect the drone…..

It is only a matter of time when DJI will be banned from US Sales. It is time that drone enthusiasts start looking elsewhere. The US Department of defense has just blacklisted DJI…..

Now is the time for US based manufacturers to step up to the plate and offer the great technology that DJI is offering. This includes everything from ease of flight to advanced sensors which protect the drone…..
They will but it will cost you 4 times more for the same capabilities.

Many and varied including Texas Instruments, Qorvo, SK Hynix, Intel, TSMC and SMIC.
I saw one article that mentioned TI (I managed a multi-national project involving both TI and the South Korean company Anam about 100 years ago...). I assumed SMIC.

What I'm trying to get a handle on is how much the US trade restrictions imposed against China are likely to impact the DJI chip supply. Will these moves tend to accelerate China's...ambitions...toward Taiwan? I almost took a job to manage a training project for TSMC, but decided against it.

Maybe it's time to stock up on DJI drones just in case.

Oh...wait...I already have a bunch of them...!

:)

I wouldn't hold my breath. DJI has invested heavily in R&D to offer leading edge technology, albeit with some speed bumps along the way.

At this point in time, I do not see any competition that attracts my purchase dollars based on technology vs price.

May have something to do with cost. With the quantities that DJI is using to build all these flying cameras, they probably do a bit of shopping.
For new products, sure.

For the existing product line, I strongly suspect that they find a supplier that they like, and stick with them. That's the way Just-in-time/Kanban works (yes, I know that's a Japanese thing).

But some of those suppliers are American, and if those get cut off, they'll look for suppliers that are...more reliable than the USA.

You can talk all you want about these Drones made in the USA but I got one that won’t fly at night or even dusk!

"This week, the DoD took its interdiction of the drones a step further by including DJI on a list of 13 Chinese companies deemed to be closely tied to China’s military. They joined a group of 28 other organizations previously on the blacklist – a requisite for possible sanctions to be passed on accused businesses."

If I read the new ban correctly, this means no US companies can sell DJI parts anymore. Seems like primarily we were providing just the FLIR cameras, but the most recent DJI drone no longer sources those from the US.

Reactions: mark.pinskey

I don't think any American company can compete. In order to do so, they would need to be heavily automated, and get significant relaxation of both labor and environmental regulations.

I don't see that happening.

I wouldn't hold my breath. DJI has invested heavily in R&D to offer leading edge technology, albeit with some speed bumps along the way.

At this point in time, I do not see any competition that attracts my purchase dollars based on technology vs price.
That's pretty much my view.

The US economy just isn't optimized for putting out this kind of compact high tech equipment at consumer price levels.

I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Reactions: Niggy and AusFlyer

LOL, as if they could. And then you would have to buy 5000 $ for a standard crappy drone, made in USA. We keep flying here DJI very happily thank you. No ’made in USA’ in my household.

"This week, the DoD took its interdiction of the drones a step further by including DJI on a list of 13 Chinese companies deemed to be closely tied to China’s military. They joined a group of 28 other organizations previously on the blacklist – a requisite for possible sanctions to be passed on accused businesses."

If I read the new ban correctly, this means no US companies can sell DJI parts anymore. Seems like primarily we were providing just the FLIR cameras, but the most recent DJI drone no longer sources those from the US.
Glad i live in the democratic country of Australia. Sad for you guys. End of drones for US residents then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329