DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who says I can't?

That'sfine, but I suppose my point is, why pay so much money for a drone you can fly 4 kilometres away safely, when, if your intentions is to keep within about 150 metres or so, then are hundreds of other drones that will do that job for less than half the money?
The camera.

My reasons for flying have mostly to do with photos and video; the drone makes a really tall tripod from which the camera sees things which I can’t see from the ground. And, performs some really smooth camera moves for video as well.

I really don’t see the attraction of flying 4km away. I suppose I might see just how far I could get with VLOS if there was something at a long distance I wanted to film… but mostly I’m going to the places I want to shoot, and using the drone for aerial perspectives.

That'sfine, but I suppose my point is, why pay so much money for a drone you can fly 4 kilometres away safely, when, if your intentions is to keep within about 150 metres or so, then are hundreds of other drones that will do that job for less than half the money?
How fast do you ride your motorcycle on the roads

Get him a free 107 book on the internet. Sure there will be more questions.
Not a good idea to confuse a Recreational Flyer with the rules governing flying under Part 107 Rules....

The FAA does have all this in one location, albeit that location (FAA's website) is massive. The first link posted by @Prop Wash is two clicks from the FAA's main Page, > 'Drones' > 'Recreational Flyers'
if you click it and scroll down to the heading 'What Are The Rules For Recreational Flyers' and under the second rule about flying according to a CBO you'll see a link in blue called Advisory Circular 91-57B.

That is a link to a PDF that further defines and explains the rules currently for recreation drone flights in the US. It is only seven pages so you can print and keep so you have the 'rules' right at hand.
Thank you to Ty Pilot and other very helpful fliers on this forum. As I was preparing two copies of the many suggestions on this particular post, I just learned today that Advisory Circular 91-57B was just cancelled on October 20, 2022. It has been replaced in its entirety by Advisory Circular 91-57C. See attached for a full copy. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1041362

Attachments

• AC_91-57C_FAA_Revised.pdf
    507.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki