DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are DNG files so small

Soledamcer

Reactions
MP2. I have camera set to record DNG and JPG. DNG Files are tiny kb, whilst JPG are large mb size. Why am I not seeing true RAW files in DNG?

Is it possible you are only looking at the thumbnail preview of the .dng file?

Reactions: Soledamcer
MP2. I have camera set to record DNG and JPG. DNG Files are tiny kb, whilst JPG are large mb size. Why am I not seeing true RAW files in DNG?
DNG files are much bigger than the jpg files your camera records.
Check the file size.
If you do not have graphics software that can read the dng files, all you'll see is the tiny embedded thumbnail jpg that's part of each dng file.

Darktable is a free program that will open / edit your DNG / RAW files.

darktable - the photo workflow software

“darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer. A virtual lighttable and darkroom for photographers. It manages your digital negatives in a database, lets you view them through a zoomable lighttable and enables you to develop raw images and enhance them.”

Still haven't found my full size DNG files, but will let you know.
If you've found dng files, those are full-sized.
There are no small dng files.
Look at the file sizes and that should be obvious.

If you've found dng files, those are full-sized.
There are no small dng files.
Look at the file sizes and that should be obvious.
I've just found them, sort of hidden under the thumb nails, what a difference. Hardly any pixels on full zoom. Amazing quality. I shall be processing photos all day today. Love it. Thanks

Attachments

• DJI_0314a.jpg
    DJI_0314a.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
Did some quick edits in Lightroom CC, took about 30 seconds ;)
Flattened the horizon, made the right most building vertical, removed some distortion, tweaked the exposure, contrast, highlight, shadows, vibrance, saturation, dehaze, vignette.
I could play some more and work on the 3rd building from the right, the white is blown out a bit.

Reactions: Soledamcer
Did some quick edits in Lightroom CC, took about 30 seconds ;)
Flattened the horizon, made the right most building vertical, removed some distortion, tweaked the exposure, contrast, highlight, shadows, vibrance, saturation, dehaze, vignette.
I could play some more and work on the 3rd building from the right, the white is blown out a bit.
View attachment 70160
Thanks, that's really effective. Looking forward to getting into this.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming