DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why can't a Mavic be an FPV drone?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
I know that on the FPV drone, the camera tilts up by 60 degrees, which is obviously important, but aside from that, what is actually stopping a Mavic Air 2 (or Pro, or mini) from being an Aerobatic FPV drone?

It has an FPV gimbal mode, so why couldn't firmware be added to change it's flight characteristics?

That is like saying why can't a Ford Taurus from 2000 be a Lamborghini ...

A MA2 & a full Acro quad (weather it's the DJI interpretation or another...) is made towards 2 totally different purposes. The power to weight ratio is totally different between a camera drone & a Acro quad ... even if the MA2 got it's max tilt angles unlocked it would most likely be very sluggish & would not be able to catch itself in free falling moments due to the weak power train & much weaker arm design.

That is like saying why can't a Ford Taurus from 2000 be a Lamborghini ...

A MA2 & a full Acro quad (weather it's the DJI interpretation or another...) is made towards 2 totally different purposes. The power to weight ratio is totally different between a camera drone & a Acro quad ... even if the MA2 got it's max tilt angles unlocked it would most likely be very sluggish & would not be able to catch itself in free falling moments due to the weak power train & much weaker arm design.
That makes sense until you realise that the DJI Tello can flip...

I understand it would come with some caveats, but I don't see how it wouldn't be possible with limitations?

Even if it didn't flip and roll, why can't it dive and do a few more interesting manouvours?

@Ben_McPhee theoretically what you are asking could be possible ,with the correct firmware incorporated into the drones operating system to enable it to do limited manoeuvres, the problem is the airframe would not last very long and the camera gimbal would be destroyed in a very short time ,the Tello has a none folding airframe and no gimbal ,with the new FPV drone ,DJI have tried to incorporate most of the capabilities of a full FPV drone ,and as such the airframe has been designed to cope with the rigors of FPV flying and the camera has only a single axis gimbal to allow movement ,and uses electronic image stabilisation to combat movement in the recorded images ,when you select FPV mode on the Mavics ,all that does is to lock the gimbal so that as you manoeuvre then the camera follows the path of the drone as well instead of moving to counteract the tilt of the aircraft

I understand it would come with some caveats, but I don't see how it wouldn't be possible with limitations?

Even if it didn't flip and roll, why can't it dive and do a few more interesting manouvours?
A Tello isn't a very good example ... a Tello weighs 80g & a MA2 570g.

You could dream about it but no.

There is a reason why they do not have folding arms on the new drone.

During testing on the MA2 front arms will try to fold in higher winds.

Along with what everyone else has mentioned, the FPV drone is designed with easily replaceable parts because it's more likely to be crashed than a cinematic drone. When The Verge reviewed the FPV, it didn't take long for the reviewer to crash his and break it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Probably because as well as having a Mavic/ Mini/ Air. DJI would rather you to buy a £1300 DJI FPV drone to add to your collection.

Cos DJI would be flat out busy repairing broken drones and honoring DJI Care Refresh. More expensive to replace 3-axis gimbal. I wonder if they would start losing money with replacing lots of drones with Care Refresh. Unless they increase the price.

I'd say the biggest factor is $$. DJI is tapping into a whole new market of UAS pilots who have never had much interest in anything DJI before. The "purests" wont care much for DJI's new offering but it has opened so many eyes to what FPV can be like. It's a huge WIN for DJI.

It technically could, but would be quite underpowered.
Most likely just a question of target market and nothing else.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair